Alatar Grows The Hobbit's Leaf

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by Alatar, Oct 9, 2010.

1. It impressed me. I'm going to have to learn more about supercropping. But more to the point, I'm going to have to get better at scheduling my flower space. That's how I got the giant Utopia Haze plant. My timing was thrown off by the self-supercropped Durban Poison mum taking more than her allotted footprint. There is a definite pattern developing here.

Well, hopefully you get some germination out of that second cross. Milk jugs, huh? How big is a jug? A one gallon container with the top cut off? You guys must drink a lot of milk. You know, if you move to the east coast, we are going to insist that you start using actual planters.

2. $25 for a 5 pack...def gonna give em a run...good looks JB:smoking:

3. We drink about a gallon a week. I cut the top off and figure it gives me about three quarters of a gallon. They're free, they're square, and they're about as big as anything I might be able to fit into my grow box. Besides, reuse-recycle, surely you know all about that. I actually gave some thought to planters this time around, but the dimensions were off.

4. I've heard of it. :smoking: Hey, I stalled my way through the smart pot fad. I'm still hanging tough on the air pots, too, though there have been some close calls. I still may go there if I figure out how to get these Mekong Haze seeds to crack.

Alright, it sounds like you have your space dialed in. I wish I could say the same. Stoopid plants. I need a doughnut.

:bongin:

5. man look at those nodes - sooo close together!!

6. I'm not taking any credit for that. I just try to keep 'em under the light.

7. I cant help but to think if my 1000W hadn't blow for the first 2 weeks of 12/12 my liberty haze would be closer to that. In any case your girls look awesome.

8. #3088 Alatar, Oct 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2012
    And my SLH clone hardly stretches at all. This one went in at 32 inches and stretched to 54, 10 inches short of a doubling.

The Utopia haze does have decent node spacing even though she has stretched to like six and a half feet. I have to measure that. She went in at 22 inches, topped and trained.

Thanks for the kind words, tokey.

9. 2:30am and I have reached the end! AND the thread is still very much active!!

Thank you sir for the great show you have put on over this and your previous thread that led me here.

10. #3090 Alatar, Oct 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2012
    Greetings, ethicalfive, and welcome to Grass City. Interesting username. That's quite a journal journey you have taken. I hope you found something useful in there. I've noticed that my journaling used to be heavier on procedural facts. I used to report every feeding, every pH reading, every calendar page flip for every plant, but eventually those habits fell away.

This is a bit ironic, since I recall being frustrated as I browsed grow journals and found so little actual grow information scattered among the chatter. I should try to get back to the facts. pH readings are not all that interesting, particularly in coco coir, where the runoff reading is useless, but feeding regimens matter and are never what is printed on the nute bottle labels.

Well, I have to feed my flowering plants every other day, and today is an other day, so today I will be feeding them. I should probably get to it. Lights out at 8:45. The clock is ticking. And I am quite sure that the mighty, flat headed Utopia Haze, in it's quasi #5 pot, is bone dry.

So, ethicalfive, one is tempted to infer by your heroic slog through my journals that you are new to growing cannabis and that you have a first grow underway or perhaps have one in the planning stage. If so, please tell us about it. Also, I'm curious; what, if anything, did you uncover in the way of useful or actionable information in all these hundreds of pages of journals?

Speaking of inferences, your reference to the time of your posting places you all of 9 hours behind me, which puts you in the same longitude as Micronesia in the South Pacific, if I have my finger counting working correctly. So welcome, visitor from distant lands.

11. I have a few grows under my belt already but I still love to read a good grow journal when I find one, there is always something to learn. For example, your battles with mold, normally I would have overlooked something like that but I recently moved to a region that experiences intense humidity during summer like yourself so that is one thing I will definitely have to be on guard about when I get a chance to start up my next grow.

I enjoyed the time keeping, beautiful pictures, the journey of discovery you shared with us all plus you managed to remain humble the entire time! Some of the other forums I have grown weary of peoples threads being their form of an E-penis extension, so it has been a pleasant change.
    I should have said, 2:30am on a Monday morning ;) And yes, I am in the planning stages right now. I have a pack of mr nices black widow and a pack of dj shorts Flo that I am just itching to pop!

12. I guess you have seen me learn the same lesson twice: don't grow in the summer. It has been interesting wrestling with such issues. I just have to make sure not to run the numbers on air conditioning and dehumidifying my hobby grow for months on end.

Thank you, but I am what I am.

We get plenty of that here too. Boys and their toys. For every Slayer of Seedlings, there are five Pot Gods. But Grass City is BIG! That's what initially drew me to it. It wasn't the name or the decor. I figured that a heavily trafficked site will more likely have whatever it is I'm looking for. And that worked out for me. So you will find all sorts of people here. The moderator team does a great job. Civility wins out here at GC.

Yes, you are coming to us from the future. :D

Hey, you are going first class. Regular seeds, sexing, selection, the whole ball game. Sounds like a good sized grow, too. There are 18 seeds in a pack of Mr. Nice Black Widow. Those babies are going to be something to see. That is such a vigorous strain. It was vigorous after Female Seeds got done with it. I can't imagined what the wild and wooly original is like. I would like to find out one day But whenever I do buy a pack of Mr. Nice seeds, it's gonna be tough to pick the strain. This weeks favorite is Mango Haze.

Are you thinking about keeping a grow journal, perchance?

13. [​IMG]

The seedlings are doing splendidly. The third leaf sets are emerging on the two C99 seedlings. The Grinspoon is about a day behind them, which means she's pacing them. Today is day 11 for the Grinspoon seedling, day 12 for the C99 seedlings.

I've watered them three times, adding 2ml of Cal-Mag Plus per gallon just to keep the devil at bay and give me something to pH adjust. I adjust everything to 5.8 obsessively. I should vary it a bit, but I don't. Next watering will be a light feeding, perhaps 4ml of CNS17 Grow and 4ml of Cal-Mag Plus per gallon.

Here is my Super Lemon Haze. Today is day 37 of 12/12, day 26 of flower. I fed her veg nutes today, 7ml of CNS17 Grow and 5ml of Cal-Mag Plus. Just cuz. She may need a flush.

[​IMG]

Pr0n

[​IMG]

An here is the beast, my Utopia Haze. She has really slowed down, almost stopped, but she is not quite done stretching yet. I am still finding and folding tops that have grown past the light. Today is day 37 of 12/12, day 18 of flower.

Today I fed her 7.5ml of CNS17 Bloom and 5ml of Cal-Mag Plus per gallon. She took and kept about 6 liters of solution. The picture was taken before I fed her. The coco coir was bone dry, the surface dusty.

[​IMG]

The, ah, canopy, as seen from below. When she's on my coffee table, she isn't clearing the ceiling by much.

[​IMG]

----

Attached Files:

14. lookin good :wave:

15. I don't know how you can deal with the dangly girls Al. I'm on my first run with plant finishing over 3ft, couldn't imagine wrestling those plants.

16. I'm always baffled when I see 6ft plants... Nothing like looking the buds in the eyes!

17. Haha! Who said I can deal with them? That Utopia Haze is causing me problems. She is taking up the space of three plants in there and she is going to be doing so for a long time. That was not the plan. I've got 4 plants stacking up in veg for the flower room slots that she is squatting. And I don't have enough veg space to do that for very long.

[​IMG]

That SLH clone is 37 inches tall. She's supposed to be in flower, according to the plan. I don't know what I'm going to do with her now.

Well, you know, sativas want to be trees. It's all about the sativas. I just have to get better at controlling them, or they have to get better at controlling me. :hippie:

----

Attached Files:

18. #3098 handaman, Oct 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2012

I think we need a drool smiley to fully express my feelings toward this picture. That is beautiful. Makes me want to do a grow right and actually give my plants veg time and all that.

I borrowed some batteries from an old airsoft gun. Here is a picture of half of the harvest from my most recent grow. It seems to be decent quality, but the yield was about as bad as it gets.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

19. I do think you need to scale it up a bit.

20. If I could turn back the clock, I would have chose Critical Haze or Mango Haze and DJ Shorts F13 rather than the Widow and Flo, should still be amazing compared to the bagseed and mystery genetics of previous grows.
    I shall, but won't be able to start until March/April next year, until then I am going to have to keep living vicariously through yours and others grows! :D