Alatar Grows The Hobbit's Leaf

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by Alatar, Oct 9, 2010.

1. lol. um, a querkle, some sort of purp, and a kush?

2. [quote name='"Alatar"']

You are speaking to someone who has yet to become an active participant in the video age. I just spent a few minutes trying to get a milk shot, without much success. And after three quick takes, I find that I'm starting to float away. I have discovered, though, in course of this so far failed effort, that I have a very small bong and a very big face.

It's treating me very well. Homer. I am really enjoying it. It is a delightful instrument.
    :bongin:

Hey, check it out, baby pot plants...

Who wants to play "guess the strain?"

----[/quote]

Hooray for seedlings!!!! Now, keep them away from that vibrating, sprout killing fan of yours, and you should be in business. Been wanting to grab me some Cindy for quite some time. Good luck to you sir.

3. Haha! I do have to grow something purple at some point. And I have a Candy Kush seed or two, like a lot of people.

I recently retired that nasty old fan, but there's another one in its place so the vibratory admonition still applies. There's more than one way to slay a seedling, of course, and I am talented in that regard. But these three have been hanging in there for about a week, which is pretty encouraging.

Thanks for that, Jbudz. Yes, two of those seedlings are Female Seeds C99s. But the third is something else altogether, something a little exotic.

I've heard different things about this C99. I've heard it's hallucinatory. I've heard it's quite ordinary. I've heard it's great. I've heard it's not so great. There's a wide gamut of opinions. Could it be that there are very different phenos? Is it just that tastes vary? I don't know. But the C99 is safety strain in this nascent run. I'm bound to get a few to several ounces of something worth smoking out of two plants. And that affords me the luxury of indulging in the second strain, which I know Russy is just going to love.

Of course, all three of them could be dead by tomorrow. I'll probably knock them over the next time I go to raise the lights.

4. The babies are cute... They look kinda like the plants I'll be harvesting in the next couple of days...:eek: I'm trying to remember what strains you had, but I don't remember a DG and I'm too lazy to dig back and check.

I'm glad you're enjoying the bong, don't worry about how it looks when you're smoking it; that's not what you bought it for... That's what I keep telling myself anyway, my new favorite piece is a very small pipe I picked up at reggaefest this year. I try not to think about how I look when I smoke it.

5. Hey now, that can't be true. I'm sure your plants are lovely. You should post up some pics. Right here would do nicely. :D

It's no surprise that "DG" does not ring a bell. As I said, it's something slightly exotic, as exotic as a Barney's Farm offering can be, anyway. "DG" denotes Dr. Grinspoon. There is another nettle bush in my future. Haha!

(That emoticon is so much more authentic now.)

Oh, I assure you that I have no trepidation about how I look whilst wielding my sweet little waterpipe. None whatsoever. I just don't want Alatar's oogly puss on Youtube. It's a police state we live in, in case you've forgotten.

6. [quote name='"Alatar"']

Hey now, that can't be true. I'm sure your plants are lovely. You should post up some pics. Right here would do nicely. :D

It's no surprise that "DG" does not ring a bell. As I said, it's something slightly exotic, as exotic as a Barney's Farm offering can be, anyway. "DG" denotes Dr. Grinspoon. There is another nettle bush in my future. Haha!

(That emoticon is so much more authentic now.)

Oh, I assure you that I have no trepidation about how I look whilst wielding my sweet little waterpipe. None whatsoever. I just don't want Alatar's oogly puss on Youtube. It's a police state we live in, in case you've forgotten.[/quote]

GRINSPOON!?!? Hell ya! I've been wanting too grow/watch that strain for quite some time. Something about it interests me very much, and I have no idea what it is.

7. Nice! I had forgotten that you had acquired the Dr. I'm looking forward to seeing that one in action.

Sorry, no pictures, I don't have batteries for my camera at the moment, and it could be several days/weeks before I buy more. They weren't that bad, but they were still about the same size as your babies when they finished; three out of the four were pretty frosty, but they were all bearing the scars of nute burn and over-watering. I harvested last night. Now I'm debating whether I have time to start a new grow or not. There is potential for a cross-country move in the next few months, and I will not, under any circumstances, take my plants with me on such a journey, and I don't want to waste seeds.

8. Well, I can take a stab at why I want to grow it. It's a combination of five things. First, there's the marketing. If you favor racy sativa highs, then the notion of a long flowering "heirloom sativa" is very enticing. The failure to identify the genetics beyond that is annoying, but the accompanying photo lends credibility to the vague description.

Second, every smoke report I have encountered has been overwhelmingly positive. Everyone who smokes this strain seems to love it and people tend to get quite poetic when describing the high. And it sounds like the high I'm looking for.

Third, no one seems to grow it. I think I've only seen one grow journal in two years. That adds to its mystique and allure.

Fourth, I've had good experiences with Barney's Farm strains. I have not had very much experience growing anyone's strains, but Barney's is one of the few breeders I am personally familiar with. The seeds are always large and healthy looking, crack quickly, and have a 100% survival rate in the killing fields of my garden.

Fifth, the unusual bud structure matches that of the Female Seeds Black Widow pheno I ran a couple of times, which yielded a very powerful smoke. I made hash out of the second plant I ran. The smoke from that hash was so potent that some people who smoked it actually became incapacitated. My buddy broke it out at a dinner party for some professional types and the results were quite embarrassing. His wife was not pleased when their guests ended up sprawled about their living room and unable to communicate, stand up, or manage much of anything. Not that becoming incapacitated is a personal goal, but I smoked a lot of that hash, most of it actually, and it did not incapacitate me.

9. Me too!

Now that sounds intriguing. I saw a headline yesterday that said Massachusetts' unemployment rate has risen to 6.5 percent. I think most of the country would be quite happy with 6.5 percent. They'd all get over it eventually , of course.

10. Actually, Massachusetts is a possible destination. I can't remember what job it was I applied for in Boston, but I seem to remember that it wasn't an application that I felt was too much of a long shot while I filled it out. Personally, I'm praying for Kentucky, where the low temperature for today is the same as the high temperature here in Idaho.

Either way, I'm just looking forward to having enough stability to run something like Grinspoon myself.

11. Boston has the same climate as New York, a Köppen climate classification of "Cfa -- humid, subtropical," believe it or not. (That's also the climate designation for Kentucky.) It gets cold, but not like where you are. The North Atlantic is a strong influence on the local climate. We get four seasons, all of them wet. We get snow, but not in epic proportions and it doesn't hang around till spring.

Boston is subtropical, but there is no such thing as climate change.

12. That's good to know, I always picture the Northeastern winter in the more film noir/hell of a storm sense, but having never visited myself, I really have no clue. It makes sense though, come to think of it. It's really about as far north as California, the ocean is just probably more like the Oregon Coast or Washington. Wet I can deal with, it's the snow from November to April that gets me. Maybe I can allow myself to hope for New Jersey now as well.

13. We get colder than they do, I think, but they get more precipitation. Not all climatologists are happy with the humid, subtropical designation. They don't contest the accuracy of the classification, but they find the term 'subtropical' to be misleading. New York and Boston are definitely at the cold edge of that category.

14. [​IMG]

That's my Super Lemon Haze. Today is day 35 of 12/12, day 24 of flower. This plant smells delightful. To say she smells lemony is to say too little. She smells of tropical fruit. There's a lot of lemon in there, but she smells much better than that. It's a more complex odor or blending of odors, and it is very nice indeed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is my Utopia Haze.

[​IMG]

As you can see, she wanted to be a whole lot taller than space allowed and she's taken a bit of a beating as a result. But she is doing quite well in spite of all the rough stuff. Today is day 35 of 12/12, day 16 of flower. She's got a long way to go. Unfortunately, she's taking up almost all of my flower space because of the supercropping. Alas. Those seedlings could quite easily be too large by the time there is room for them in my flower stall. I'm not very good at planning these things.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

----

Attached Files:

15. nice lookin hazes bro...who are the breeders?...i ran sweet haze from DNA...its nice but it dosent have that deep haze taste if ya know what i mean...its more fruity...do yours have that deep haze taste?...ill keep tryin hazes till i find the one!

16. [quote name='"gunslinger42"']nice lookin hazes bro...who are the breeders?...i ran sweet haze from DNA...its nice but it dosent have that deep haze taste if ya know what i mean...its more fruity...do yours have that deep haze taste?...ill keep tryin hazes till i find the one![/quote]

Fast nevilles from female seeds has a real nice haze taste to it. Never tries the original nevilles, but the FMS version is a really nice smoke. And it's done quicker.

17. #3077 Alatar, Oct 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2012
    Super Lemon Haze is a Greenhouse Seeds offering. Utopia Haze comes from Barney's Farm.

This particular Super Lemon Haze plant has almost no taste at all. It's got the slightest hint of lemon. I haven't grown Utopia Haze previously, so I don't know how it tastes. And I am unfamiliar with what a deep haze taste is.

I have a single Neville's seed from FMS. I have yet to crack it. It's slow Neville's, not Fast Neville's, 14+ weeks. According to Shantibaba, only 25% of NH plants will finish so quickly, and he was referring to a 16 week finish.

18. I think you're right; at least as far as the Oregon Coast I know went. One snow day a year and everything would shut down for it. I suspect it's because both the Pacific Northwest and the Northeast are in a band of prevailing westerlies. We get our weather blowing in off the Pacific; you get your weather blowing in off the Great Lakes.

SLH has never been on my short list of strains to grow, but the way you go on about the smell, I might have to try it.
    That Utopia Haze is gorgeous; I love me a long-legged girl, but I think you're being too gentle with the super-cropping. I think you should be doubling those stems back on themselves; get some nice S-curves in there and it will save you some space. She can take it; the big ones like it rough.

I've caved, seeds are hitting the dirt today; I'm even considering doing a journal this time around.

19. The humid, subtropical designation, with even precip throughout the year appears to be a continental eastern coast phenomenon, with most of Southeast Asia as the prime example.

Three years ago, it was the strain that everyone loved the best, or so it seemed. Arjan was a miscreant and Franco a bumbling fool, but somehow they managed to produce a masterpiece. That was the storyline. What I'm growing here is not even the main SLH pheno, which is what you get when you buy one seed. Why am I still growing it? Well, I had it handy. It clones easily. It's potent. The yield is decent. The high is more sativa than indica. And there's that wonderful smell.

I have another one in my veg shaft, in a ~ 2.5 gallon pot. This SLH pheno makes good hash. But I don't know what I'm going to do with her. The plan was for her to replace the SLH that's flowering now, but the plan did not involve the Utopia Haze taking up the rest of the space for the next two months. The SLH vegger is about 32 inches tall right now.

The Utopia Haze seems disinclined to share the hps.

[​IMG]

That's her in every part of that picture. You can almost make out an SLH top lurking in the background, in the lower left corner of the image.

There is a lot I have to learn about supercropping. I was just over at the Mr. Nice forums admiring a Neville's Haze grow in a 3 liter pot. It was a supercropping marvel that stood 10 inches tall and was all bud. Very impressive. That plant really was folded.

Since my three seedlings will be locked out of the flower room for a couple of months, I may take this opportunity to do some supercropping experimentation.

:hello::yay:

What kind of seeds, pray tell, and how many?

----

Attached Files:

20. That IS impressive. I've done some doubling myself, but that was back in the solo cup days and I never got a whole lot out of it. It did, however, keep my leggy sativas out of the lights.

I started a Delicious Northern Lights Blue that was a freebie with my last order, and four of each of my F1 crosses, one of which currently has a 0% germination rate. I'm shooting for four plants in milk jugs. If I get extras I'll just double up. In all, I have nine seeds in soil, I expect four or five to come up, anything extra is just a bonus.