Alaska Fish Fertilizer 5-1-1

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by rjones358, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Hi Friends:  Old Time Toker, First Time Grower...

I have three plants.  One is Female the other two I'm not sure of yet. I've started the 12/12 cycle.  I have been feeding them Miracle Grow general food, but heard that Alaska Fish Fertilizer is best for cannabis.  I bought a bottle at the local Home Depot and did some research on this site.  However, I'm a bit confused.  I read that I need to stop feeding fertilizer once the plants are in the Flowering Phase.  How do I know when they are in the flowering phase?  I also read that AFF is better than MG and that I can continue to feed AF even in the flowering phase.  Am I right or does ALL fertilizer feeding cease once the plant goes into flowering phase?  Also, I read somewhere that Superthrive can be fed to the plant IN ADDITION to the fertilizing but do I also stop feeding the Superthrive when the plant goes into the flowering phase?  Any and all info is greatly appreciated..

2. nitrogen is the main component responsible for growth in plants. When plants go into flower, they no longer need the nitrogen to keep growing. If you continue to feed them N through the flowering cycle you will get leafy, stretched buds. So most people halt the N applications soon after switching to flower. I like to give them N about a week or 10 days into flower because the plants will do a stretch before they start forming buds. Others may cut the N sooner. 

During flower the plant will need P and K in abundance. So pick a suitable fertilizer, there's dozens. You want a tiny or non existant N percentage in your flowering ferts.

3. I never understood why people stop giving nitrogen once the plant starts to flower. You know from experience that if you stop giving it nitrogen at any stage, it will yellow up and look like shit by harvest time. Nitrogen is definitely used by the plant at flowering phase.

• Nitrogen combines with other elements such as Carbon, Hydrogen and Oxygen etc. to form ‘Amino Acids'.
    • Amino acids form protoplasm, which facilitates “cell division” and consequently the potential for plant growth and development
    • Amino acids are considered the ‘building blocks' of protein
    • All plant enzymes are made up of protein. Enzymes are considered catalysts for all chemical conversions within a plant, therefore the successful functioning of the plants ‘digestive system' , hormone synthesis and general function
    • Nitrogen is a crucial part of chlorophyll and necessary for photosynthesis

4. Thank you Hauna and West Coast.  Ok, so if I'm understanding you both, before the flowering stage the plant needs N,P and K.  During the flowering stage it can still be given the N, but the P and K must be greater than the N.  Am I right?  But how can I tell when the plant is in the flowering phase?  Also, I have switched from Miracle Grow to Alaska Fish Fertilizer.  I thought I read somewhere that AFF is better than MG.  Do you agree?  And if you don't agree, is there a better plant food that you would recommend?  And how does Superthrive play in all of this?  Do I continue to provide the Superthrive during the flowering phase?  As you can see, I'm really ignorant on this subject.  Any and all info is greatly appreciated!  Thanks! :)

5. Hauna couldnt be more wrong. Probably the most egregious myth perpetuated on these sites and something you would never hear anywhere else. Try researching what N does for plants and by the use of common sense you would never imagine cutting N off. Those that go to these high P foods and drop N are the ones that have shitty looking plants turning yellow and dropping leaves half way into flower and proceed to convince themselves that its "normal". Theyll then go on to back this up by proaiming that they are somehow "flushing" the flowers of their elements to produce a smooth smoke. Horsehockey.

After watching a side by side of two ferts, one a 6-9-7 and the other a 9-3-6 there is no way anyone could ever convince me otherwise. This was done in a dialed in system with clones of the same mother that the grower was very familiar with. The fert with more N and one third the P outperformed the former by 10%. Now even if they yielded identical results it's enough to prove that high P is overrated and a farce.

6. Hi all:  Thanks for the responses.  Here is what I see on the labels of the respective fertilizers:

Alaska Fish Fertilizer
    5% Nitrogen
    1% Phosphate
    1% Potash

Miracle Grow
    15% Nitrogen
    30% Phospate
    15% Potash
    .05% Maganese
    .06% Zinc
    .02% Boron
    .07% Copper
    .15% Iron

Based on these numbers I would think that the Miracle Grow is the better product.  Am I incorrect?

7. The MG would be "better" but only because the pure fish stuff is WAY out of balance.

Read the link I posted. Twice.

8. build your own organic living soil and take all the guess work out.. my plants in the past year manage to stay green up until day of chop. yet still burns clean as can be! flavor and scent are out of this world with a living soil!

9. Well Lil full on organic doesn't work for everyone...as far as taste and smell you can get that through soilless or hydro too. Its not exclusive to the organic grows. Just as in organics, chem growing is all about balance. Regardless of how it gets there its all the same...just a bunch of ions.

10. to each their own, we can agree on that! The beauty of growing, a thousand ways to grow with a thousand more variations! 
    IME building your own soil and waiting the 6-9wk to allow things to break down and become available, is so worth it. water only with the occasional AACT. shits on straight auto pilot. plants have never been so happy. No PHing, No mixing bottles or powders. easy street.

11. Well ill definitely do organic outside, but inside its coco or hydro all day...gotta maximize my yields when I'm paying for the "sun" ;)

12. Im always wrong

13. That being said, the soil I use has enough N to last through the growing season. I dont see yellowing through the flowering phase and supplement with small doses of fish fert if I feel the plants need it.

14. #15 rain dancer, Nov 13, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
    Nobody pointed out mercury so I will.

I stopped using this stuff on plants that I smoke like cannabis since cannabis is know to uptake toxic metals from the soil, like mercury, which is in high enough concentrations in Alaska fish fertilizer to matter. Feel free to use this crap on outside shrubs, but be aware you are increasing your health risk by growing with a fertilizer that contains more than trace amounts of mercury.

There have been many a discussion about this over in organic growing and Jerry recommended that I stop use immediately if I value my health, and I do. Now I give it to roses and shrubs I have no intention of consuming. Flowers love it, but the smell is atrocious and lingers in the soil, even in the sun.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Edit: also forgot something very important for you gorilla growers or outdoor growers. Family pets, dogs, raccoons, and other wild animals will dig your plants up if you use this outdoors....ask me how I know...:).....the solution, if you have extra old tires lying around is to use them. Confuses the animals enough, unless you have small dogs. I wouldn't recommend it in a forest as there's no telling what might dig up your plants to get to "fish."

Recommended reading:
    Fish emulsion vs ferilizers
    http://www.neptunesharvest.com/emulsions.html

And

http://urbangardenmagazine.com/2011/02/a-fish-called-fertilizer/

15. Thanks to all for your quick and informative responses.  Hauna, you are not wrong, you just have a difference of opinion.  :)  Lil J thanks for your feedback on organic growing.  Since this is my first try, I will continue with what I have, but will probably give Organic a try after this grow.  Pirate, I did read the link you provided and didn't get from it what I needed.  Maybe my brain cells just ain't what they used to be.  But I will be looking to purchase Logan's book.  It seems interesting.  Poke, found your post very interesting.  You're correct.  I have not seen mercury spoken about in any forum!  I, for one, love my herb, but not at the risk of damaging whatever I have left of this old body.  So I think I'm going to follow your advise and trash the fish fertilizer.  I was thinking that perhaps I should go back to Miracle Grow and just stop feeding once the buds begin to show.  I'd like to know what you all think of that remedy?  In addition, I see some of you mentioned hydro.  When I first started this endeavor, I had three plants in small pots.  As I was transplanting one pot, I dropped it and broke the pot.  So I took that plant and placed it in a water filled vase and the doggone thing has been thriving!  And I believe it's female to boot!  I have not fed it anything but Superthrive and I check the PH which reads as normal.  I know I should have it in a coco coir(sp?) but she/he seems to be doing so well in the water, I would hate to disturb it.  My question to all is, has anyone ever grown cannabis this way?  Would I be insane to think that I could possibly get a yield?  Your thoughts are always welcomed. BTW  I'm growing for my own personal use and am not looking at yielding pounds.  And ounce or two would suffice.  

16. Can someone please tell me how long do I use Alaska fish fert during my grow like do I do it all through my grow or just vegatative stage IM NEW AT THIS NEED HELP PLEASE MUCH APPRECIATED

17. This thread is two years old, no one is going to read it. Make a new thread with your question.

• Funny Funny x 1