Air Purifiers?

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Mr.Makisupa, Oct 11, 2009.

1. #1 Mr.Makisupa, Oct 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2009
    Ok so here's the deal. I am trying to get my setup all together but cash is tight. I basically just need to get something to hide the smell before I can start because I live in an apartment. I DO however have 1,000 bucks on my walmart card. So my question is, is there a HIGH END air purifier(don't care about price, wanna get rolling) that will cover the smell of a 4 plant DWC grow in a closet? I might even switch to one big plant in a bucket if I can hide the smell better with an air purifier.

2. Guess i'm gonna have to do some further investigating:rolleyes:

3. bump...day 2:smoking:

4. #5 PHatDriver, Oct 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2009
    Give people a chance, brv.

Is this what you are after?
    http://forum.grasscity.com/grow-roo...cheap-easy-efficient-diy-carbon-scrubber.html

This is a homemade carbon filter,
    is cheap and easy to make.

Should get rid of 99% of the "smell".

From what I've found it’s the best way to go
    as most of the other techniques (gels etc)
    are nowhere near as good at smell reduction.

Might want to look into Ion generators too.
    Big money tho and I dont think Walmart will sell them.
    But Im from the UK so what do I know about Walmart? :devious:

Hope that helps a bit?

Good luck... :hippie:

5. Thanks man. I checked out the negative ion generators and walmart has a really good one. Walmart.com: Tiger America Corp. Air Purifier with Neg Ionizer AKH-A25U: Home Improvement. Thanks a lot man!

6. #7 PHatDriver, Oct 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2009
    Thats cool.
    But I think a carbon filter is still the way to go. They won’t break - just ware out over time, they use no electricity and are quite cheap to refill thanx to the likes of nuggload 420 and the likes. And now we can even make our own! :cool:

Ion gens can bit a bit of a pain to set up if you want it done correctly. but you have a few options.
    If you put them in the same space as the plants then you will most probably get rid of all the smell
    and your plants may not have any fragrance at all!
    The best way I know of using Ion Gens is to make an empty space between the grow room
    and the outside world. Just have the Ion gen in there. But you’ll have to regulate the Gen and the “fans”, you’ll need an extra one!

Fan1....v Fan2....v
    --------------------
    |.......=x=........=x =
    | .Grow|.Ion Gen.|Out
    | Room|In empty|Side
    | Space|..Space..|Space
    --------------------

You Start by having fan 1 running and fan 2 OFF.
    So you fill the void with the smelly stuff!
    Turn both fans off.
    Turn on Ion Gen and run for 5 to 10 minutes to clean the air.
    Start fan 2 so the now Ion Gen clean air can vent off.
    Stop fan 2 and Ion Gen
    then start fan 1 again.
    AND the cycle continues...
    Fan 1 on. Fan 1 off. Ion Gen on. Fan 2 on. Gen and Fan 2 off. Repeat.
    Pain in the arse, huh?

You have a 1000 bucks or dollars, whatever’s right, on a Walmart card yes!
    And this is only my opinion, but I’d be down there tomorrow buying:
    A fan, Carbon Graduals, Duck tape, Wire mesh, Zip ties, flexible washing machine hosing and if they sell em, two sizes of plastic tubing.
    The area we are talking about here, odour, as you know, is without doubt the most important of all and I think most would agree, it has to be done correctly.
    Just to give you an idea, here are two more for you to look at, so you can see how easy it is and once you have a nice size scrubber in place you can forget about it for a year or two.

Diy Low Resistance Carbon Filter For Rvk 100 - UK420

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8JL4_pmAmo]YouTube - how to: carbon scrubber[/ame]
    Hope that helps some more...
    Good luck brv...

7. Wow...that video seems ridiculously easy and cheap. I ordered the air filter anyways, and I will make a scrubber for the grow space. I'll put the air filter in the room the closet is in near the door. My fiance is kinda on my ass about making sure there's no smell. I think the combo of the two will work good. Thanks man.

8. You’re going to use both, yeah! That’s cool – I suppose, If you need to keep the misses happy. At least she is letting you grow! I got a smacked arse and was sent to bed! :cry:

Still think a well set up filter n fan would do the job but better to be safe than sorry, huh? Just try not to have the Gen running all the time and instead rely more on the carbon as much as you can as the bouquet will suffer considerably!

The Utube vid is just to show ya how easy they are to make, yours should be a bit bigger than that one, tho!

If you have a rough idea as to what you are doing in this space of yours, great, you could ignore this part but keep cuming back to this forum and show everyone how you are doing, photos and commentary using an anonymous email address. We all love a happy ending and you’ll pick up even more tips to get every little thing spot on. Then when you becum a gifted wittle gardener you too can give everyone else tips. :smoking:

Keep a look out for a great down to earth book on how to get around 16oz (1Ib ish) from a 1m square called Green Harvest by George Mayfield.
    Green Harvest - George Mayfield - Google Search
    I think everyone in the world should be given this in a starter pack for when they leave school! :devious: Give his second book a miss - Gold Harvest. It’s good but I’d recommend others.

By the way, I would tell all new indoor growers, “you need to understand the sea of green (SOG) growing method.” If you don’t already and remember not to be fooled by all the hype! It’s a weed and will do it best to stay alive all on it’s own! You can pack them in closer than they would tell you in smaller pots and you don’t need all the up to date stuff out there. The new information is welcome but people are getting outta control with this stuff! :confused_2:

Most of all, I really think you are going to love growing, there's nothing else like it! Just keep your mouth shut, smell down and all will be fine! :cool:

Much love brother... :wave:

9. #10 Mr.Makisupa, Oct 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2009

Thanks a lot man! Yeah I will only run the gen every so often and rely on the carbon filter more. I found better how to carbon scrubber videos last night also. Thanks for the book suggestion, looks like a good read. My friend said I need Marijuana Horticulture by Jorge Cervantes and I should be good to go. I am already loving it and it hasn't even began yet! I helped my buddy with his last cycle and it was fun as hell. We actually pruned and hung one up last night:D Thanks for all the kind words brother....i'll be back on here soon with all sorts of good news.

10. #11 Mr.Makisupa, Oct 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2009
    Would this [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Can-Filter-TD-Fan-Combo/dp/B001H3CV3S]Amazon.com: 4" Can Filter/TD Series Fan Combo: Home Improvement[/ame] filter be good for my small, one plant closet grow?? (gonna hold off on the 4 plant dwc till I get a bigger place) I'll have a honeywell air circulating fan in there. Then the other air filter/neg ion filter I linked above on the outside of the closet, but in the corner of the same room. I am using cfl for lighting. I cannot run ducts or drill holes...so I think this might be a good method for my personal situation.

11. Oops...just click the amazon box. I don't know why it linked everything like that:devious:

12. #13 PHatDriver, Oct 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2009
    Yo, again.
    Yeah that fan will do the job very well, is it quite? Bit big for one plant tho but if you intend to expand up to four plants as you say then it’s getting there. A fan of that size could do even more than that, so great if you will want to bump up to 36 SOG or more, it could handle that. :smoking:

Please tell me you won’t be growing one plant with many branches – the way they look if ya let them grow on their own without any human intervention? It’s just the strongest, biggest, most potent and overall best part of the plant is the very top – the main top cola! So it makes more sense to just grow the tops of the plant. Instead of growing one plant, with ten or more branches with empty spaces all over the place, you can fill the same area with lots of single stem plants, growing just the main top cola and pack them very close together with no branching.

You will waste less space this way and get the very best of the plants etc! It really is the best way to grow indoors! You can also start flowering them real fast this way and they will all be more or less the same size when finished. You can grow them to full maturity as small as a one foot to full length. YUM

New or the less experienced growers, I think, will only ever need 3 things.
    A simple to understand book to reset all the BS in your head, that you thought you knew about growing and gets you going in the right direction – Green Harvest does that!
    A more comprehensive book once you fully understand the basics.
    And of course, the internet!

Jorge’s Indoor Marijuana Horticulture is one of the best books out there, yes, buy it and you won’t need any others, once you understand the basics, coz it’s very in-depth and may leave you a bit over whelmed at first but then it will tell you everything you need to know and even things you don’t! ;)

I have nearly every book and they all say the same dam thing! I mentioned Green Harvest because most new growers think you need an infrared super bulb, one plant and water! Mayfield’s book gets the basics in their real fast coz it’s very easy to understand. Once you’ve read both books and got a few real grows under ya belt, you won’t need much help from anyone anymore, trust me! It just take time to work out the finer details!

Thought you had no money, now you want to spend near 200 on stuff from Amazon, remember to keep the misses happy – buy her flowers and I don’t mean buds!:rolleyes:

13. Thanks again man....all really good advice. Yeah I am short on cash but a good filter is very important for my situation. Oh, and the misses just got a necklace and a nice dinner...keeps her at ease! haha. I decided to stick to my original plan with the 4 plants DWC grow. I can't wait to get this first grow going. All I need now is my nutes, my DWC unit, and a tds meter. is this Hydro Wholesale offers Wholesale Hydroponics, HPS and MH Grow Lights, HydroWholesale hydroponic Supp: Hanna Primo TDS Meter a decent meter? Once I get those items I am ready to roll....it's gonna be a hell of a lot of fun.

14. To be honest with you I have never used one. Haven't miss one either! The most my water gets is adjusting of the PH. Hard water round here too.
    Seems cheap, so might get you by it ya get more funds. If I were to buy one, I'd get a combined Ph, EC, TDS meter and would search everywhere for information on which is regarded as the best.
    :wave:

15. i'd sell that wal mart gift card for like $950... take that cash and get an inline fan and activated charcoal air filter. IMO. best of luck.

16. So I had to make a new acccount. Something went weird with my other one so now I have this one. I am also getting a can filter and fan. The purifier is for the room outside the closet. Thanks again everyone:D

17. I have a AC 220V air purifier which eliminate airborne contaminates such as dust, pollen, mold, smoke, pet dander, and bacteria, germs, allergens. Inner fan is designed to quietly and effectively spray the ozone.