Air pump vs water pump

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by Happy Haze, Nov 28, 2018.

1. #1 Happy Haze, Nov 28, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    Am i better off dipping roots in water with air pump constantly running or can i use a water pump in a run off res to keep a flow at there base... or do i do both?.. all input appreciated?

2. i use both. and i use a heavy duty pump and 4' flat air stones. i use a 145GPH pump per 5gal bucket (reservoirs). Bigger dumps the water too fast, smaller is too cheap a pump.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. I've used a top feed, no airstone, GH Ecogrower DWC system, and it worked well.
    Now I've added a couple air stones to it, and can't tell too much difference.
    Apparently the act of squirting water oxygenates it very well.
    Also using a highly touted (and expensive) Current Culture DWC pro system that uses an air ring in the res, without top feed.
    I can't tell much difference.
    It might not be necessary, but I like to use both. Early on, the top feed can make dealing with seedlings easier, but might do little thereafter.
    If I were starting over, I'd get a top-feed, recirculating deep water culture system with a storage res, so that the system can be left alone for days.
    I've decided to actually do it, and ordered one.

4. I'm using a top feed (with halo ring) system on 1/2" tubing; so much better than 1/4" spaghetti line (ie. no clogging) and separated the plant's bucket with the reservoir. Just had to say that I am currently feeding near 2 gal per day... so much for left alone for a few days.

5. You are correct about a large amount of water being needed when leaving the system alone for a few days. That's why potential leave-alone systems usually have a large storage reservoir to feed a smaller reservoir equipped with a float valve, that then feeds the plants. A 25 gal storage res will keep things automated for several days, and even a brown-thumber could add pre-made nutrient solution to the storage res periodically.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Just use a smaller pump or pumps .
    I put a %inch long plastic hose ( PEX ) on the pump discharge with shit load of little holes drilled in it and the end of the hose is plugged..
    I use 20 gallon tote per plant Two 150 GPM pumps and one compressor .

7. I like the idea about drilling small holes in the line. Ill use that.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

8. The idea is to make the water spray on the roots or create air bubble in the water .
    roots need a steady supply of clean oxygenated water .

9. Okay.
    Air and water pumps running 1 main tank and 1 res.
    Water pump 3/4 in flow 1"out back to res
    All air hoses on the plant side.
    Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

10. Is the hose open ended or did you plug the end of the hose and drill a shit ton of small holes in the hose ?
    The spray. the end of the hose with all the holes needs to be above the water level at all times ..

11. I use a hybrid RDWC hydro setup. It uses a small water pump in the bottom of the reservoir that constantly recirculates water (helps control reservoir temp) and flows over the roots with the adjustable fountain head. This helped oxygenate the water, but I added a few airstones and an air pump to help even further, and noticed even lower water temps. This also helps keep the water from becoming stagnant since it is constantly being moved.

Pics show how the plant reacted to this setup. It was only my first time using the hybrid setup, and I have modified it again for next grow. 20180812_232730.jpg 20180920_234633.jpg 20181025_010222.jpg

• Like Like x 1