air pruning

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by scarecrow42, Sep 29, 2009.

1. i read an issue of urban gardener awhile back an in it was a section on air pruning the roots.it sounded interesting so i tried it on this grow and it did what they said it would do,massive root growth when transplanted.what it said to do was basicly keep air moving around your cubes to keep the roots from coming out of it[i used peat pellets dont like the hassle of rockwool]so what i did was make a mini bubble bucket out of a butter tub with 2 air stones with 2 holes for my pellets.now its kinda like an aero cloner just catchin the water bubbles but i only put the pellets about a 1/4 in an the water about 3/4 full maybe a lil less.then i added my popped seed to it about a 1/4 in down in the pellet.and put a fan on it,then let it go.when the roots started to come out the side the air forced them back in and made them fill up the pellet.this also had another effect i think,since the pellets were staying cooler due to the air there was no strech at all .it was poppin leaves right on top of the pellet.i also dad about 50 watts of 6500k cfls on them so that might have to due with the lack of strech to.i let them stay like that for about 10 days before i replanted them in the hydroton.before i replanted i was curious how dense the root mass was inside the pellet so i peeled some spots back and man it was dense.so i put them in there new homes.got curious again 2 days later so i popped them out to have a look and man there was white shoots everywhere about 2 inches long.and there was still no strech on the leaves.maybe i just got lucky i dunno but it seem to work cuz after about 3 more days these things just took off.and theres still no strech but i think that has to do mostly with genetics becuase they are kush.this wouldnt work for clones but from seeds i think this is how im gonna do it from now on.just something i tried that i thought id share next time ill take pics didnt really think about it before lol was kinda well......lol