Air-Pot vs Fabric Pot vs Root Trapper II

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by TedeBoy, Sep 11, 2016.

1. I've only used standard dark grey fabric pots for my grows.
    What I find is the fabric breathes so much the medium/soil dries quickly and during watering the water bleeds through the sides.
    I was wondering if these same issues occur with the Air-Pot or the Root Trapper II as they do with the standard dark grey fabric pots?

2. Just use regular nursery pots. I don't like the fabric type pot, etc., that collapse because they have no structure. Don't spend big money on something to hold soil and roots. You can go to the nursery and most will sell you their used nursery pots in various sizes for very little or will just give them to you. I've tried everything under the sun and the best thing that works for me is a normal pot with lots of holes in the bottom. Actually, I flower in 5 gallon buckets now because my plants have started to get so large in veg. You will soon realize that these pot grower product makers are trying to reinvent the wheel to make money. If I was going to spend serious money on anything, it would be on my grow soil...as far as growing the plants. That's what really matters. What the soil sits in is not anything the plant cares too much about. But the thing that means the most is the lighting you're growing under. Better lighting grows better plants and better buds and more of them. So learn to spend money where it really counts and don't let these money grubbers convince you to spend it where it's not important. You can get around all those expensive nute packages they push big these days by using something called "Jack's." It's made by J. R. Peters (found on website) and is a powder formulate nute duo for indoor grows. It takes about 1/20th of the time to mix and prep for feed and I can buy enough of it to last me a couple of years for around $20. Been using it for years and I grow big beautiful plants and buds. I hated the multi-bottle liquid nute packages out there and it took FOREVER just to mix feed if you had more than one plant. We usually have about 60 going between veg and 2 flower rooms, so I run a lot of plants in a year's time. There is more than one way to get something done and it doesn't always have to be the most expensive and newest to work the best. A grower friend of mine out in Southern California turned me onto the Jack's nutes several years ago when I was complaining about having to mix up the bottled stuff. I ordered some and tried and never went back. Using Grade A quality soil is going to cut down seriously on the need for additional nutes anyway. If you pot your plants smartly from the time they are small and coming up, you will repot 2 or 3 times during the veg cycle and the soil can easily handle feeding during that period of time. I usually start nutes about 2 weeks before I put them into flower and then continue until harvest...but at only 1/4 the recommended dose by the nute maker. If I increase the strength anymore than that, it burns my plants. Nutes are just plant food and if the plant doesn't need fed, it doesn't need them. Light does what most new growers think nutes do. It's ALL about the quality and strength of light per plant to get good yields for your work and effort. Best of luck! TWW

• Like Like x 1
  3. Hey TedeBoy,
    I swear by fabric pots since I've been using them, the trick is have them in a tray of some kind in your grow tent. The I've give my plants some water up top and then give most of water to the plant in the tray, as the plant then sucks up the water through the fabric pot really giving the bottoms roots all the water they want.

You can even raise the fabric pot up slightly to give more air roots, but have some sort of towel just touching the base of the fabric pot so when water in tray it will suck water from the towel into the fabric pot. Sort of like a wick effect if you get me. I don;t think your find much difference with the Air-pots, I'm using 30litre fabric pots these days, depending on your size of pot your using they do take alot of water when feeding also.

• Like Like x 1