Air Cooled Hood or Intake Fan first?

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by calicheese23, Oct 18, 2009.

1. #1 calicheese23, Oct 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2009
    I have a 6" Vortex fan for my exhaust and a 600w HPS (not air cooled). They are in an a grow tent (Dark Room 120).

I bought a 4" Vortex fan today to use as the intake fan to drop the temperatures. Would it be better to return the 4" fan to the store and get an air cooled hood? Or should I just use the 4" fan as an intake fan and get the air cooled hood later? Would that decrease the temperatures more?

I would just try out the 4" vortex and see if it drops the temperature enough but the store I bought it from does not allow returns (for cash) if the box is opened and the fan gets setup. So I'm keeping it in the box till I figure out what do.

Thanks!

Edit: Oh yea here are the temps.
    89 degrees under the light.
    97 degrees directly under, 2 inches away, the lamp.
    70 degrees outside the tent.

2. #2 jollyrancher1, Oct 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2009
    Use the 6" for your lamp cooling (get an air cooled fixture) and use a separate air intake for the lamp.

Use the 4" for your stink.

Hang speed controls on both so you can "dial them in" as you probably won't have to run full speed.

If you do, they are the wrong size fans!

Treat the air for lamp cooling and the air for stink control as separate issuses and you will find it easier in the long run.

3. Simply adding an intake fan isn't likely to help your temps much.

While jollyrancher's suggestion is more ideal, if you don't have the $$ for both return that 4" fan and get an air cooled hood.

4. Thanks for the replies. I ended up returning the 4" fan yesterday and got an air-cooled hood. Oh what a difference it has made. Temp is around 70 degrees now with lights out and a max of 84 with the lights on (with the fan not even going full speed). I couldn't be more excited about the DR120 I got.

I can't wait till my next crop because these plants are already 30 days into flowering and they have had to suffer under high temps for a while.

Thanks again GC:smoking:

5. air cooled hoods are the shit!!! Which did you end up getting? I have a sun system magnum in my dr120. Loving it as well!! I can keep the window cracked and keep the tent temps down to 76 degrees right under the light!!