Agnostic?

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by mrhoppp, Jan 5, 2012.

1. anyone else here agnostic? if so please tell me why and when you stopped believing in "god" and if you do believe in god im not trying to offended you, just int interested in if anyone else here is agnostic.

2. Do you like Dr. Pepper?

3. why yes i do.

4. Agnosticism isn't about not believing in god. That's atheism.

5. I stopped believing in "god" when I was about 16 as I matured and I actually looked into things I realized that religion wasn't for me. I mean hey I respect followers and faithful people, who am I to judge. But yea man I believe in some sort of higher power but....a "god" that controls every move and can cause miracles and save lives...let's be honest guys

(no insult intended, just voicing my opinion)

6. Agnostic atheist here. I never really believed in a god in the first place, but I was aware of it in the 6th or 7th grade. Growing up, I wasn't exposed to much religion and we never set foot in a church, unless it was for a wedding or funeral. you aren't born with a belief in god, you get indoctrinated into believing a certain religion's god.

7. Im Agnostic, but on LSD i def saw god. But he was prolly tot's fake

8. Agnostics might not have stopped believing in god. I think that's atheists. The ones who go around religion bashing out of a sense that they've been lied to and thus hurt by thier families and religious people and whatnot.

So if you never did believe, and then you decided one day to prove there was no god, and you couldn't, then the correct position is agnosticism. That's my take on it at least.

Religious guy, "i hold the belief/feel I have sufficient evidence that it's true there is a god".

Atheist guy, "i hold the belief/feel I have sufficient evidence that it's true there is no god".

Agnostic guy, "neither of you really understands what's knowable and what's not, and if you do, then you're not basing your beliefs off what you know".

9. #9 Lenny., Jan 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2012

You have a theist. There are two types of theist.
    The agnostic theist, one that believes a god(s) exist. He claims to have faith.
    The gnostic theist, claims to know that a god(s) exist. He claims to have knowledge.

This is also true with atheism.
    A gnostic atheist knows there are no god(s). He says that there is no gods in existence.
    An agnostic atheist doesn't believe in god(s), but doesn't claim to have knowledge, just has no reason in believing in such.

The existence of a god is unknowable to everyone. If it wasn't, 99.9% of people would be either atheist or theist.

Agnostics can claim they aren't atheist, but when they say "they don't know" they also have no belief making them atheist.

An atheist isn't out to prove there is no god. Those are straight lies. An atheist has no belief in gods.

Personally, I see no reason to subscribe to any religion because they have been demonstrably been wrong, and the fact that they cannot demonstrate their claims and that they only have faith (belief without evidence) is not, in my opinion, a good way of seeing things.

10. Agnostic atheist here- I disbelieve/reject the claim a god exists but am open to any evidence proving the existence of a god. I can't say I ever really believed a god exist... Maybe for a brief time as a child- although I attended a catholic and a lutheran school, I never really had any faith there was a god. In fact, both schools had their share of atheists, which made me luls. Hell, I believed in Santa longer than I believed in a god (specifically God!) He actually gave me shit! ahahahaha

11. Secular Humanist here, I never truly believed but I waited until I thought my parents would be understanding about it to tell them. Turns out most of my family are atheists or spiritualists except for my mom, but I still love her :eek:

12. Haha...Mortals.:cool:

13. I think you're referring to atheism.

The simple answer is that science can be proven with tangible evidence. I know science is real because I can see, touch, hear, and taste things, and explain how and why things happen that way logically and factually. Science leaves no room for God, which cannot be proven, seen, heard, or touched. One cannot explain how or why God is.

It really is nice to think that after I die I will be reunited with lost relatives and friends and forever bask in glory, but it's not logical or probable. More likely, since I am conscious and "alive" right now because my body is working and keeping me alive, that consciousness will cease to exist and that will be the end of me. The idea of "souls" is absurd. Where is it? Where does it fit? Why can't it be proven? You're consciousness is the product of your body functioning and keeping you alive, and when your body stops the conscious mind ceases to exist and becomes lifeless ball of soft tissue.

Religions borrow from other religions, and then deny the validity of one another. Many different pieces of modern religions can be traced back to ancient religions. Also, how can there be many religions that are so sure of their God? Surely it is not possible for them all to be correct, and considering how many religions you have to choose from, I'd say people are pretty far off from finding their "real" God.

People look back at the ancient Greeks and Romans and their Gods, and think of it as a good story, but nobody believes that any of their gods were "real" or even plausible, so why should any of our religions be any different? And why don't other animals fall under the same jurisdiction of God and go to him when they die? There's far too many questions to be asked questioning the existence of God and not enough reasonable answers to be given to explain it. Especially considering that theres another proven system called science that offers plausible explanations for lie, I'd say that "God" is a long shot.

14. I don't believe there is a god, yet i can't prove it. But i started questioning it when i was about 5. I went to a church of England school and we were taught Christianity as fact. Until i learned about how many religions there are. There's to many gods to choose from and if god made everything what made god? Why does he kill so many good people yet leave so many bad? All these questions where answered with "HAVE FAITH".

15. I'm an agnostic atheist. The academic field has primed me to look for verifiable evidence for any claim, but this wasn't the cause of my disbelief in my late teenage years. It was the inherent contradictions within my religious texts (moral, scientific, and historical) that made me abandon my religion. After that, philosophical writings and a skeptical mindset reared me out of any other spiritual or superstitious beliefs.

I did run across something I think you all will appreciate...

[​IMG]

16. [quote name='"aero18"']I'm an agnostic atheist. The academic field has primed me to look for verifiable evidence for any claim, but this wasn't the cause of my disbelief in my late teenage years. It was the inherent contradictions within my religious texts (moral, scientific, and historical) that made me abandon my religion. After that, philosophical writings and a skeptical mindset reared me out of any other spiritual or superstitious beliefs.

I did run across something I think you all will appreciate...

[/quote]

Awesome pic.

I'm an atheist and the reason I call myself atheist instead of agnostic, which I technically am is thus:
    If you walk by an old factory, with its doors and windows boarded up you could make the rational assumption that it's empty or you could assume lesbian alien strippers are having a party in there. Say you can't enter the factory because it's fenced off, so you can never disprove the lesbian alien stripper party, but to anyone intelligent individual with critical thinking abilities it is apparent that the lesbian alien stripper party has such a miniscule, ridiculous probability of being true that it isn't even worth considering. There is no proof or evidence to suggest a party.

Agnosticism may be more logical than being religious but neither are nearly as rational as atheism.

17. Im agnostic as well, Never exposed to religion when I was younger nor does it interest me.

My take on agnostic is:

Its not believing that there is or isn't a higher power b/c really NOBODY really knows. And even if you do (which is fine) how can you be so sure of it when there are sooo many other religions out there. I just dont see enough proof in any one religion to base all my beliefs off it

18. how can you be an agnsotic and athiest at the same time, they belive in two diff things

19. #19 m00zix, Jan 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2012
    Wait for it... Wait for it... Each position is not mutually exclusive :eek:

What you have come to know as the position of atheism and agnosticism is more than likely far from the truth. You call me pedantic, I call you misinformed.

Hooray for large games of telephone. Research things for yourself from credible sources.

20. i guess im that gnostic athesist. i know that there are no gods

we are all animals evolved on this planet that formed from cells and shit

we are just the most advanced with a thinking brain. at first we didint know wtf the sun was and shit and thought the land was just a flat surface that went forever. But someone had to be in control (somebody always has to be in control in this world) so they formed gods and religion for A. they didint know wtf to believe and B. to easy control peoples minds and have order.

Religion is control/separation/ignorance

and since it has been going on since probably the beginning of humans (somebody always has to be in control!!) nobody knows what to believe

this is coming from an 18 year old kid who sees the world for what it is everything makes sense and has purpose

(only shit i dont get is ghosts, like wtf son?)