Agnostic not aheist

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by WaheedFaheen, Jan 19, 2013.

1. So today this girl asked me if I was an atheist since i didn't believe in god. I had to explain the difference between an atheist and an agnostic.... Agnosticism is the belief in a higher power however there is no belief In god. Idk why that was so hard to understand but it turned Into this pathetic awkward argument.

2. Maybe you should have said, I believe in a higher power, but I'm not sure if it is God, Allah, Buddha, w/e..

3. I thought a heist was a robbery. Lol

4. True.... It's just that with religion your god is the only god... But who is to say that the next persons god isn't real. Everyone is in this competition with religion and that really isn't the point. There are many religions that also incorporate the supernatural... A that to me seems more spiritually connected than any other bias religion

5. Agnosticism is not the belief in a higher power.

6. Agnosticism is "I just don't know, so I will not claim that I know".

It's THAT SIMPLE.

I am Agnostic.

Why?

Because I just don't know. And I admit that. :p

7. OP says
    where, as you say, it means you don't know.

8. Well technically it's the belief that the existence of god or higher power is unknown. When I say I believe in a higher power, I do believe that there may be a greater being, but who is to say its god, or Allah or Buddha etc... It is impossible for one to know without the facts. I don't disagree with a person if that is that's what they choose to believe in, however I personally think that there are a lot of religions that are used to control society

9. ^^^ I like this guy.

10. Lol me too

11. Lol I just got that... This damn phone autocorrects everything I type... except it really has no clue what I'm trying to say. Almost like my damn mother lol

12. Yes

Many seem to have warped definitions of agnosticism and atheism, which you obviously don't, but the original post is worded like agnosticism requires the belief in a higher power so I thought I would clarify.

13. Oh no it's fine. I just recently moved to Georgia forms San Diego, and I found out people feel uncomfortable when they find out your not a Christian... lol I feel like I would have been accepted by a few more people If i said I was gay or something instead of agnostic lol

14. #15 esseff, Jan 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2013
    Why feel the need to define yourself either way? Applying any form of label to yourself assumes that another person will hold the same definition of the word that you do. Can lead to more confusion.

Also, in saying you don't believe in god, don't you then have to define what you mean by god and what you don't believe about it, in order to correct the assumption that you mean the xtian god, as you do believe in a higher power, which could be called god?

It rarely happens, but when someone asks me whether I believe in god, I have no other answer for them other than a question about what they mean by that word.

15. That's true too, but in society where everyone is different we use labels to identify who we are, so although our definitions might be different, it's much easier to slap a label on it, and be done. I agree with you on that though, however it's something we all do.

16. Defining yourself as a builder or carpenter is one thing, but this area can so often lead to confusion, as you discovered, and many times it's merely on the misunderstanding behind what the words mean.

17. Not thats so true. Well you learn something new everyday. I see where your coming from and from now on when I'm asked if I believe in god I will counter with what their definition of god is.