Afterlife, Beforelife and Life

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Ypres, Jul 19, 2008.

1. I got to thinking about the afterlife today and I came across something rather peculiar. In Christianity, after you die you go to either heaven or hell for eternity. So that means that in comparison your earth life is being compared to infinity making it a blip of insurmountably small time. What does this life mean then if everything we do now is so insignificant compared to what our afterlife will be?

I understand that many people would say that this life is how you get to the eternal life. So our life on earth, all the wars, tears, joy, furbies everything is just the doorway to heaven? Our entire consciousness and the entire universe solely exists to get us into another life which there is no way for us to even comprehend?

Now, what about before you were born, where were you? We know the atoms that made us were busy floating around in other things, other people etc. but that electrical sparking in our brain that makes us us wasn't there. Did we exist or not before we were born? That is a peculiar thought.

Anyway, discuss.

2. Greetings,

I would contend that you cease to exist before you're born and after you die.

Yours Truly,
    Sam_Spade

3. Before this life, you lived hundreds upon hundreds and probably thousands of past lives.

since the system of reincarnation has been removed, if you die now, you would simply enter the dimensions.

the consiousness is infinite, therefore has always been and always will be.

4. when did this happen?

5. about a year and a half ago. you can think of humanity as one entity which much mature and eventually has reached enlightenment and self realization, independant of the laws of physics and complete potential for self expression. unfortunately not all of humanity is on the same page.

6. You do not instantly go to Heaven or Hell if you are a Christian. You only go to Heaven after Judgement Day, those who die before that day, do not get to go to Heaven even if they qualify.

Before you were born you were a twinkle in your father's eye. There is no before-life that anything but wishful thinking suggets, the same with an afterlife. All evidence points to this life being our only one, so make the most of it that you can. :)