After 5 years of smoking

Discussion in 'General' started by Don Ro, Nov 22, 2013.

1. So hi guys, this is actually my first post on this forum full of wonderful stoners :) im a 19 year old university student from London, England. Before i started smoking weed and even in the first year of smoking weed , i was very sociable, enjoyed most things and generally was laughing every 10 minutes or so with my friends. I also played sports everyday for hours.

So my problem is, the negative consequences of smoking weed everyday for a long period. This doesn't apply to everyone ,as weed affects different people in different ways, however im sure there are others like me.

For me, im become more introverted and anxious in social situations, defiantly when im high. Paranoia in a sense of people judging you, im not actually paranoid of any ghosts or scared of people or police or anything. I feel like people watch me ect when im high for example if im on the bus going home. Although these are bad feelings, i think i can control them fairly well to an extent where i can act very normal.

The major problem is i think i've lost my sense of humour ( not completely) but like i used to laugh at most funny things, whereas now it takes something really funny to make me laugh. 

I haven't smoked a joint in over 24 hours now and im ready for the withdrawal symptoms like insomnia, but my massive question is, for those people that quit or have known friends to quit. Do they enjoy life more ? does your sense of humour come back ? or is this a permanent effect of weed and does the anxiety go away ? 

2. #2 RedEyeCEO, Nov 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2013
    I feel like you're not comfortable being high in public, hence your social anxiety. Just relax and enjoy your high, everyone smokes weed now a days, that's the last thing someone is judging you for. As for enjoying life more after you quit, if someone is going through bad times and smokes weed they're going to think weed is the reason, it's not. #RedEyeClub

3. #RedEyeClub4Lyfe

4. Insomnia is not a withdrawal symptom. You simply find it harder to fall asleep sober because it is much easier to fall asleep when high. There are no withdrawals from weed.

5. there are defiantly withdrawals from weed, not like as bad as other drugs, but i can tell you exactly what i've experienced from smoking literally multiple times a day to not smoking. I wouldn't call it insomnia but i had a shit sleep for about 2-3 nights, also i was sweating like mad with my sweat smelling of weed lol. Also  i found even though i hadn't eaten i simple lost my appetite for about 2 days. Other then that i've been sober for like 3 days now. I guess i can only answer my question. Thanks for you contribution guys.

6. I was writing a paper on marijuana this weekend and this was from a study I read about. And it is a withdrawal symptom.

The present study provides empirical evidence that
    abstinence from marijuana is associated with increases
    in anxiety, irritability and stomach pain, and decreases
    in the amount and frequency of food intake. These
    symptoms are similar to the pattern of abstinence
    effects following oral THC administration (Jones et al.
    1976, 1981; Haney et al. 1999), and are similar to the effects seen in laboratory participants smoking mari-
    juana repeatedly for at least 3 weeks (Nowlan and
    Cohen 1977; Georgotas and Zeidenberg 1979;
    Mendelson et al. 1984). The present
    findings are also
    consistent with interview data obtained in daily mari-
    juana smokers, who report feeling ‘‘nervous, tense, and
    restless'' when abstinent from marijuana (Wiesbeck
    et al. 1996).
    Although there were no significant self-reports of
    sleep disturbance during marijuana abstinence, we have
    recently completed a study with portable sleep moni-
    tors (Respironics, Atlanta, Go., USA), showing that
    abstinence following exposure to four to
    five marijuana
    cigarettes / day (1.8–3.1% THC) for even a shorter
    period of time (3 days) was associated with a substan-
    tially increased latency to fall asleep and latency to
    rapid eye movement (Ward et al., in preparation). These
    data, using a more sensitive measure of sleep than self-
    report, suggest that sleep disruption may be an addi-
    tional consequence of marijuana abstinence.

7. You need to learn to be comfortable again. Make an effort to laugh more. When you get paranoid or anxious stop and ask "is why i am feeling this way a rational and real reason?" that is one of the best coping techniques i ever learned. If you can just realize you're feeling that way for no reason you can stop it.

8. Lol, any studies from the 21st century bro?

9. Ok so if it was 2000 instead of 1999 it would be relevant right? Do you have any studies supporting your claim?

10. Thanks for your contribution Macka B.

And btw siriuswolf, i used to be competely 'normal', and would genuinly laugh at everything, im only talking about 2-3 years ago tbh

Maybe its a combination of my cannabis use and the fact that i've matured which may be the reason..lol not sure man ill update you guys and tell you if it gets better

Last smoked a joint over 96 hours ago !

11. #11 qcstoner, Nov 26, 2013
    Last edited: May 30, 2016

12. #12 qcstoner, Nov 26, 2013
    Last edited: May 30, 2016

13. People didn't suddenly become enlightened when the year 2000 came. Most of the great inventions that we all take for granted occurred long ago.

14. [​IMG]

Thank you.

15. I do get social anxiety sometimes when I'm high, that's why I stopped blazing before the club/parties. 

16. I cut back myself to only smoking once a week to every couple weeks..I've smoked the last five years and noticed I was sleeping crappy..tired all the time and I felt like I didn't dream at all when I would smoke..when I don't smoke..especially after a couple of days I get the most vivid dreams and wake up actually feeling rested..I like weed but sometimes it's about moderation..quit for a few weeks and see how you feel..some people need it medically and that's understandable..I just use it recreationally

http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1201102-TGA-Plushberry,-HSO-Bluedream,-RP-Sour-Kush

17. This is accurate cause I go through it everytime I take a break. 

I can guarantee you those studies are accurate. Everytime I take a tbreak I go through just about every symptom described in the studies. It's harder to fall asleep for the first 3 days, I basically eat little to no food at all, I get easily irritated, and my body feels as if I was laying in a bed hibernating for a whole season. Really, the only symptom I don't go through is anxiety. But then again, sometimes I will have a panic attack in the middle of public a few days after quiting. 

I'm in no way saying marijuana has negative effects and that it's bad for you, but if you smoke frequent enough and take a break you WILL go through withdraws.  The withdraws aren't extreme like; sickness, depression, delusional mind, rage incidents, etc like you get from hardcore drugs but they are there. They only last for a few days so it's really no big deal.

18. hey guys, so I've been sober for about 1 week now, and i decided to do a lot more research on my problem, which i think is a mild case of social anxiety.
    I do believe weed did magnify my social anxiety but i also believe other factors such as the amount of caffeine i have, and also i smoked nicotine, which DOES have an affect on anxiety.
    I don't actually get any real anxiety physical symptoms, like some people get panic attacks ect. I'd say my biggest physical symptoms are (this may sound weird) but not walking properly and maybe my heart rate does increase a little but that's about it. Otherwise id probably say its mostly in my head.

I'm glad  i smoked weed for all those years, because it really did change me into a different person, and i think it changed me for the better, and as long as i can decrease this anxiety, i reckon my life is pretty much perfect lol. I may try drinking some time, i actually rarely drink and haven't even drunk once this year lol but i do know that it increases my confidence dramatically.

Anyways guys, thank you so much for your contributions, I've read a lot about people who seem like they are in the same boat as me, but some of their stories sound so much worse !  for those guys that have given up weed, congratulations :) and for those that are still smoking the wonderful herb, happy smoking :)

I've decided i will probably smoke weed once or twice a year, on occasions like my old friends birthdays ect ( if i don't end up smoking again, as it has only been 1 week ) 

19. Try taking like a month long tolerance break, see how you feel after that. Highly doubt it's that weed that's been making you feel shitty. 

20. You've got to just relax and enjoy yourself man. Imagining what other people think is just a waste, it doesn't matter if they feel you're a dick or something just do you.