Aeroponics really much better than Soil?

Discussion in 'Aeroponics' started by KalL, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Hey guys, need some help. Title says it all. Is true aeroponics much more effective than Soil. I am only asking those with first hand experience.
    Is it worth going true aero? How much more effective is it? And if possible, any DIY guides to true Aeroponic setup/design? Small plans to be magnified, orrr say 100 plant grows ;):D:wave:
    From what I've heard, Aeroponics grows them bigger and faster. So besides the work put in, you get much more out? If someone doesn't mind putting extra work in, hypothetically, does it make you significantly more money?
    Thats what I'm really asking, do you get much more out from aero, or is that more just rumors.

2. Yep..works very well. I have a blog on how I made my own aeroponics system. Take a look.
    Do It Yourself Aeroponics I have been using my system for over a year and just did my first tear down and cleaning. Very reliable and boring. 2 to 4 inches of growth everyday.
    Enjoy, Scott

3. Wow thanks a lot! Theres tons of stuff on there.
    Any input as to a design, style, or any advice on Aeroponics. Preferably for REALLY large grows?
    Thanks again, Kal.

4. KalL: if you'd seen the documentary on Aeroponics and what NASA is doing with it you wouldn't have to ask, but like everything there's a down side. It's very labor intensive and really unforgiving if something goes wrong.
    Since your roots are suspended in air and sprayed with nutes, if something happens with your hardware you're screwed. On a hot day you can lose a crop in minutes instead of hours like in hydro.
    I think most people will agree that dirt is the most forgiving medium to grow in but then you have pests and diseases to contend with we don't have to deal with in hydro. One guy who's opinion I respect said, "Aero is for the people who really know what they're doing." I hope that helps. Hank

5. I find it less labour intensive than most hydro methods.

6. Thought I would chime in here. I've been using the aero method on and off since 04'. I agree with what was written earlier that aero is for those who really do their homework and can execute in times of stress. I disagree that this is a less labor intensive method because of a few reasons. First, there is potential to crop more often which means more processing work. Second, with misters and constant pumping (or at least intermitent) and root suspension....this means there are just a lot more little parts to maintain CONSTANTLY. For example, quite often misters will get clogged up and if this goes unnoticed for too long it leads to a host of other equip. problems.
    Best advice is that once you do thorough research on each soil to aero then you'll know which is the correct challenge for you.
    Piney

7. #7 KalL, Mar 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2012
    Thanks guys. I have been doing lots of research but needed to tie up a few loose ends, which is why I came here to ask you all. I am not worried about the difficulty. I am an avid fish enthusiast, have over 200 gallon tanks, 10,000 gph pumps, do everything myself.
    I just need a few things of help from you guys.

~I have 2" net pots and 6" net pots. Should I keep any media in them (Clay balls forming the perimeter & pearlite on the inside) to keep just a little constant moisture on a tiny portion of the roots just in case, or what ever?

~Will it be a good idea to use the 6" pots, or is 2" fine? (I kinda already figure use the 6" but do not know when to switch em).

~Should I use micro misters or micro foggers? DIG 07-054 EXL Fogger with 10/32 Thread - 3 GPH for drip irrigation systems. or Amazon.com: Botanicare 330 Degree Aeroponic Mister - 50 Pack: Patio, Lawn & Garden

~I have a full green house control kit and extra timers. Should I run the pump constantly, or on/off??? If on/off, what should the time intervals be?

~What is the best diy build for large grows? Allowing the plants to get huge (8' ceiling, wiling to use all of it lol) I am thinking about large rubber containers, but have seen people use pvc pipes or something. I would REALLY like some help with this one.

~Any nutrients you guys recommend that is high quality and won't clog the filter too bad?

I am not worried about the sprayers getting clogged as I will simply get a mesh filter that the sprayers recommend.
    The only problem I see happening are the PH and nutes possibly, but I am in a situation right now where I spend nearly every minute at home, All the better to keep an eye or two on my babies :D:hello:
    Thanks, need your help guys, Kal.

8. check out the stinkbud system for growing aero...it's very simple. There's a good thread to read on RUI called harvest a pound every 3 weeks..there's also a 'stinkbuddies' site that has all the ino on building the system and stuff.

hydro/aero blows soil outta the water....I set up alot of new grower irl and I never start them out in soil...I hear alot of ppl say soil is great for beginner but I totally disagree. I see much better results with first time growers in hydro...as long as they have a good guide of course ;)

9. SWEET! Thanks!

10. I dont see cropping more often as a downside but it does add to the workload :)

It takes me 10 minutes a day to maintain my outdoor aero setup for growing tomatoes (350gal, 16ft x 2ft chamber with 100psi) and most of that is mixing the nutes.
    I run drain to waste, no worries with clogged nozzles, res temps or chasing the EC/PH around. The res is remote to the chamber, it holds 20L of nutes and that lasts 1-2 full days depending on the growth stage. The setup runs 24/7 for 5 months solid and then its drained down for the winter. It`ll be back in action when the risk of frost is over.

11. Me too...the only worry I have is a pump failing...but plan B is have a back-up...less than $50...well worth having. I think this is the way for a beginner too as there is no guess work. I also would like to say that the plants do not get devastated by mites when they show up. I get rid of them but the plants do not respond to mites like they do in soil. To me that is a major plus. Another guy I know that uses aeroponics said the same thing about the little fucking mites.
    Aeroponics is very lazy and takes up the least amount of room which allows a bigger system. Getting enough light to the plants becomes a bigger issue. The only labor is adjusting the lights and keeping your reservoir filled and thinning out to let light in to the bottom of the plants.

12. I am so excited this year as I am designing a system for outdoors. I have room for 15 20 gallon tubs and plan on setting up the system off the south side of my house off the ground. I will still be able to use the earth below for my melons,squash and zucchini.
    What I like most is how the system is expandable and I can add on as needed.