Aeroponic model 4Z0 Stoner Experiment #1745183

Discussion in 'Aeroponics' started by trojangrower, May 26, 2019.

1. Nice work. Covering the buckets in foil bubble insulation, including the lids, will help with the temps.

• Like Like x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  2. bump!

Ok, just took a couple pics, haven't done anything to that unit, just left it, plugged it in, and so check this out

upload_2019-6-7_18-26-19.png

Both plants were started at the same time. Both plants have the same nutrient solutions.
    The one on the left is the aero, the one on the right is top drip hydro (waterfarm).
    Both have been topped... crazy eh?

*oh and the one that is in coco is comparable to the waterfarm (picture not shown).

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Ohh shit wow.. are u sure shes not stunned.. thats a huge difference in growth mann!!

Flower tent Vegging outside the flower tent

• Like Like x 2
  4. Yeah that is just nuts, beautiful! :)

• Like Like x 3
  5. nah, neither the coco or hydro is stunted. The hydro was under L09 (lm305b) strips, and the coco is just under fluorescent, but I'm not blaming that.

Had a harsh discovery today ... The drip/ebb plant next to the hydro farm (not seen), the water in the res was very low, so I popped up the plant to look, and lifted and checked for a 'ponytail' that sometimes works its way into the return pipe/hose, and yup it was there, but it wouldn't come out easily. So I laid the plant on the bucket and used both hands to pull it up ... it was like at least 3 feet long! wtf! I placed it above the root system to it can't go down there, but that was the longest ponytail I've ever seen.
    No pics, my hands were too busy!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Is that the different of feed all day or feed once a day??

I dont undetstand, “just nutes”.. did u feed them different nutes or at different times.. one more than the other.. idk i dont get it plz elaborate..

Flower tent Vegging outside the flower tent

• Like Like x 1
  7. The aero s'been set to 15min/off. I know the one member said 2 sec/hour (?) I will stick to 15 min. I had it constant before, but the pump heats it up too much. The hydrofarm is constant feed.
    They are getting roughly the same diet. The same nutrients were used (Future Harvest/Holland's Secret) but the waterfarm I just filled and left alone, I will check on it tomorrow, whereas I monitored and adjusted the aero more closely.
    One major difference is that the waterfarm was started in rockwool and hand fed for the first couple weeks, whereas the aero was started in the cloner and then moved to its current system.

wait a second, you're responding to c0rn, lol. He said 'nuts' (ie. crazy) not nutes.

• Like Like x 2
  8. I meant "just nuts" = that is crazy

• Like Like x 2
  9. #30 Sypha, Jun 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  10. 15 on and 15 off will be fine, it reduces the heat and running cost by half compared to 24/7 ;) I run 2 seconds on and anything from 3-10 minutes off but thats with high pressure aero.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Yeah there is a big difference in cycle timings in high Vs low pressure :)

• Like Like x 2
  12. so far 15/15 working out fine. Two seconds seems such a low amount to me! Like even a minute seems low, but that's from me using constant time I suppose. I want to experiment more with times, but I don't need more dead plants :D

I discovered some leaf damage on some veg'n plants (separate room, different plants) so I sprayed them with neem last night and then hit them with a lil BT just in case. #1 - don't use bt in the house (ever again), #2 why are my plants lookng so bad this morning :'( I've never OD'd my plants on neem before.

• Like Like x 1
  13. ok Houston, we have a problem.

You know, I pulled a 4' root tail out of my drip system, and now I just went to check up on my aero's roots and same _#R%(U!#% thing.
    upload_2019-6-9_15-50-35.png
    The filter may have slowed it, but this ain't going to work.

Will a copper root barrier work? Something like this maybe?
    upload_2019-6-9_15-53-30.png

no lie, the other plant's roots almost reached the res!

Anyhow, for now it got lifted above the root mass and is sitting there. I also changed out the reservoir for the larger cooler. That'll keep it cold I think.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. I just ordered some copper mesh. I will shove some into the drain line where the roots go. I suppose we will find out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. #36 geoaero, Jun 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    2 seconds is a long time with high pressure mist ;) With low pressure aero and nft, the roots follow the flow of water down the roots right into the drain or res. Theres no real flow towards the drain with high pressure aero, the roots sense where the nozzles are and go for those instead. Hpa roots grow as much sideways as downwards. I use copper tube legs on outdoor setups to stop slugs and snails climbing up. The copper mesh should deter roots from the drain but i`m not sure it will be enough to stop them completely.

• Like Like x 1
  16. I shoved a copper scrubby into the drain hole underneath the filter. We'll see.
    upload_2019-6-10_12-32-24.png

• Like Like x 3
  17. Clever little hack! Hope that works for you

• Like Like x 2
  18. I used to go15/15 to ...but when the plants reached flowering age it wasn't enough...
    Needed water non stop when the lights were on.

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. this going to be a problem if the drain isn't fast enough; the reality is that I use the off time to help it drain, as well as temps.

The plant looks very happy, but I noticed a potential problem. The hole I cut for the netting is slightly off, and I am worried when the plant get bigger, it may just fall right though (!) so I will devise some kind of support to prevent this. In other words, if you are creating something similar, it may be better to use a lid/net that is all one unit, making it impossible for a fall though scenario.

I'm also not seeing much stretching atm. I placed the plant(s) underneath 4x96 and an 800 (turned all the way down, dimmer is red). I will see in a week.

• Like Like x 3