Aerogarden SpaceSaver 6 - Maiden Voyage

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by Jrubin90, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Hey all,

I recently purchased an Aerogarden SpaceSaver 6 and threw some bag seeds in it approximately 4 days ago for a test run. So far one seed has sprouted, nothing from the others yet. I am running on the "Mixed Greens" timer which I believe is 16.5/7.5 light/darkness and 24/0 water pump on/off. I am using Liquid Earth brand nutrients (Vigor/Growth currently, Vigor/Bloom once I start to flower). So far so good, but I would appreciate comments, concerns, questions, and tips. I will post pictures as soon as I can acquire digital camera.

P.S.: Woke up this morning and another seed has begun to sprout :hello:

2. That bagseed will probably want to grow to the ceiling! My best advice would be to go to The Attitude Pick & Mix section and buy 2 Fem. Auto seeds! They grow short and you don't have to change their lighting! Pick out 2 different ones and have fun! Use code 420 for a discount! I have another AG grow in my sig. Peace, Gusher

3. Totally agree with you Gusher, I had seen that deal the othe day and thought it was perfect. I am giving this a test run just to work out the kinks before spending a decent chunk of change on seeds. Hopefully if I start the flowering period early enough I can avoid huge plants but we shall see.

UPDATE: So far 4 out of 6 have sprouted, one is over a inch tall.

4. I just finished changing the reservoir, added all new water and a new splash of nutes. 5 out of 6 plants have sprouted and are all over an inch tall. I did see one problem in that the leaves have a faint yellow appearence to them at the base, any ideas? I was figuring it was from lack of nutes since I went light on them for the first week since they were just seeds, but I am not 100%. I will try and get pictures but for now any suggestions?

5. i'm sure they are fine , keep the nutes down for now untill you see some growth , then ramp it up.

6. The thing is I just increased the nutes today a bit since they are all about 1-2 inches at this point. I am uploading pics I took from my phone so sorry for the poor quality but here they are.

Attached Files:

7. your in the clear man , watch your res temps and watch that Ph like a hawk... they are looking great

8. Hey all quick question, I have notived that while 3 out of 4 plants have been growing leaves first height second, one plant seems to be shooting straight up. Is there any specific reason why? Or is it just plain coincidence?

9. probably reaching for the light , can you lower it?

10. Probably just a different phenotype.

11. Unfortuanately it's at its lowest position, I would upload pics to see but I am on vacation so updates will come sometime next week. Enjoy the New Years everyone!

12. Update: pictures will be up sometime tomorrow but from what I was told on the phone, the plants are ready to start flowering :D

13. I am posting pictures now. I am starting the flowering period today, as the pictures show in 2 weeks the plants have grown better then I could have imagined. Send your feedback.

Attached Files:

14. Also, this may be impossible but can anyone identify or atleast hypothesize the strain this batch is. Being a first time grower I have no knowledge determining strains by appearance but if anyone wants to take a crack at it I am all ears. Thank you!

15. No one can determine strain by appearance unless its something they are extremely familiar with growing. And even then you would have no idea until the plant is very far into flowering.

16. Another question, is there a set time table for when a plant will reveal it's sex after starting the flowering period or is it more of just pure randomness?

17. Ok me and my friend had an argument regarding the size of my plants. I read somewhere that because of the height restrictions of the AG you want to start flowering very early, while my friend says they all need to be about 8-10 inches to get any significant harvest. Once I switch them over to the flowering period (12/12 lighting) due the plants continue to grow or do they stop to use the energy to produce buds?

18. The beginning of flowering is actually when your plants hit a major "growth spurt" and you should see some significant new growth during this time. This can be kept in check by keeping the lights as close to the tops as you can get them, and keeping your temps warm at ALL times. There will be a point when that growth seems to "plateau" and you start to see "blossoms". During that time a lot of strains can double in height, some long flowering sativas can triple their size.

19. #19 Jrubin90, Jan 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2010
    Interesting, now does adjusting the light to 12/12 force the flowering stage on them? Or does it just aid its production? What you say is very interesting as one of my plants has stunted growth a bit, but it has leafs growing at the base of its branches, is that a sign it is beginning to flower? I will try and upload a picture, but the quality may stink.

20. Ok so here are the pics I was talking about. Is this plant starting to flower, or is that just more leaf growth?

Attached Files: