Aerogarden First-Timer

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by a_bong_princess, Jun 16, 2009.

1. So, I have an aerogarden and want to start a grow, I have been reading up and know some things already, and of course general MJ growing knowledge, but had some specific questions. I would love for those with aerogarden experience to answer, but any experienced growers' advice would be helpful.

So, I plant a seed in each pod (I have the foam things from the gourmet herb kit, original seeds removed), leaving one open for aeration. So six pods. Then should I use the nutrients as directed for the herbs? Or is there some nutrient product I could buy that works better?

Also, the best light cycle is tomatoes, 18 on/6 off for the first few wks before flowering, correct? I dont think there is a 12/12 setting so I would just have to manually control the lights when it comes to flowering.

Finally, is it better to clone plants (definitely difficult for a first timer) so plants flower earlier and I dont have to monkey with the lights... or just pop the light hood off and rig something up so its suspended from the ceiling when the plants get too tall?

Thanks for any advice, GC, I am really excited for this grow! :D

2. I am not sure about the nutes... I do know that a friend of mine got an Aerogarden Delux, did exactly as you did, and put the MJ seeds in the neoprene pod things, and they grew fine. She used the nutes that came with. I would try to top them ASAP, keep them short and bushy.. You may find that growing 3 in it and keeping them short and bushy is the way to go.. I would not rip off the light hood. Just LST your plants in a horizontal fashion. By LST I mean like tie them down and train them to grow a different direction.. In your case, horizontal.

I have thought of doing this and that is what I came to the conclusion I would do, is grow 3, and LST and top them to keep them little bushes. I would only do 3 due to space limitations when they flower.

I cant wait to see how it all comes together though!! Post some pics soon!

Good Luck!

3. Thanks! :) I think i know what you mean about tying them, but jw what topping them means? Lol sry I'm a real n00b at this and dont know some of the terminology.

EDIT: And yes, pix are definitely on the way! I most likely wont get anything set up til this wknd at the earliest, but I'll try and post an update as soon as I get things together. Gotta find some seeds too, my bf lost his :-/

4. Here is a very informative link! Nothing wrong with being new, we are all new at some point.. There are alot of helpful people and threads made by these people here @ GC! You will be a pro in no time!! Good luck!

http://forum.grasscity.com/absolute-beginners/122559-how-fimming-topping-made-easy.html

5. why not get an autoflowering dwarf strain, that way using a light setting wont be neccessary, you can leave them on 24/7 and not have to worry about doing LST, Im thinking about doing this but with feminized seeds, so I dont have to worry about getting any males :D.

6. This is EXACTLY what you need to read

7. i got an aerogarden and ive been useing it for ahwile. as for seed go with lowryder 1, 2 and feminized as u are limited to 7 ports for the plants and have no room for those sneeky males. lowryder grows 12-16 inches thats it and is a real nice smoke this system is fun but gets boring.