Aeration

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by Kesey, Jan 27, 2013.

1. #1 Kesey, Jan 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2013
    Anyone have any experience with using rocks at the bottom of the pot for improved drainage? I've seen hydroton, but undoubtedly some of that floats up, same with growstone. I bought a bag of river rocks, very coarse and jagged, should provide drainage.

Found my answer: Don't do it!

2. wait so clay pellets on the bottom of your pot not good?

3. I put about 1 inch of clay pellets on the bottom of a coco 75%/perlite 25% mix. Had them lying around from a hydro set up when I moved to coco. Havent had any trouble.

4. Coco drain great by it self if you add perlite or pellets even better. Dont see the need for a layer at the bottom. I feed 3 times a day and have no problems with drainage. The only problem I have is these monster roots that grow out the bottom of my pots. But I will also say this. I use pellets on the top, about 2 inch worth. I just found a pot I chop about a month ago dried out but when pulling the pettlets of so I could reuse them, I was amazed at all the roots that had grew thur them. Point being if you had a few inch of pellets on the bottom those roots are still going to grow thur them so....I cant see it being a major error.

5. so a no go for bottom and a yes on top? lol whaaa?

6. well I use on top for two reasons you may not have to, 1st coco is so lite it moves easy so pelets help keep it in place. 2nd and important (for me) keeps those pesty gnats at bay. I'm no bug guy so not sure what they are fruit flys, gnats what ever dont have them with pellets on top. Well I get them but they don't multiply this way and go away

7. alright thats pretty cool ill prolly use em on top and where do i get coco is it coco fiber like whaaa??