advise on grow room :)

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by oa82, Nov 1, 2009.

1. #1 oa82, Nov 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2009
    Hey guys... i am currently building my grow room.... i have a grow box made out of an old sealed camping tent in my closet. My plan is to run a 25' duct up through my walls and into the attic. I am going to cut the exhaust duct for the bathroom and use the vent in the roof because it is the only way to get the smell out of the house... My question is, will this... http://www.climatedoctors.com/items/item.aspx?itemid=429986.....

fan be enough to suck in air from a grow space 3x2x3 up about 10 feet, over 10 feet and out the attic vent? or can i save money and use a hawaiian breeze 4" fan if i seal it up really good to the duct? this is my prefered solution because i am low on cash... http://files.sharedreviews.net/images/reviews/27165/P5140131_1211670312.jpg.... any advise would be much appreciated

thanks guys!
    would upload pictures but don't have a camera

2. really? no ideas.... thanks alot guys

3. erm...are you in a position to just hang lights and such? or is it a temp issue that your putting them in tent for?

4. My opinion... Both of those fans suck, but you gotta do what ya gotta do.

5. Hey soapman... I'd like to direct you to MY thread in this same section, in regard to types of fans and compatible fan-speed controllers. Could you take a peek and hopefully educate me on this?

And oa82... If you're dead-set on THAT location for your grow, I'm afraid you'll be forced to invest in a quality fan. The 2 you included in your original post are only good enough for venting 5-10ish feet adequately (UNRESTRICTED). But hey... if that's the only fan(s) you currently have access to, then use it! Alot of this is trial and error. Lawd knows I've done some funky sh*t to get by until I could afford the equipment I really needed... still am. :D

6. thanks alot everyone.... also, if i exhaust air into my attic, do you think it would really smell bad up there.... it is cold up in my attic now, my attic is also well ventilated, and im growing northern lights which is suppose to be a low odor strain.... would this maybe work ok? i dont think anyone plans on going up there and wouldnt the heat from the box rise up and out because of the winter?

7. thanks alot everyone.... also, if i exhaust air into my attic, do you think it would really smell bad up there.... it is cold up in my attic now, my attic is also well ventilated, and im growing northern lights which is suppose to be a low odor strain.... would this maybe work ok? i dont think anyone plans on going up there and wouldnt the heat from the box rise up and out because of the winter?

8. I'm exhausting into my attic currently WITHOUT any filter. Had to go up there last week for Xmas decorations and was amazed at how strong the odor was. I'm obviously not too worried about it, but thinking I should probably look into a DIY filter / scrubber now that I'm running out of improvements to make in my grow room.

I agree... sh*tty fan or not, heat rises. I know some home-owners who haven't entered their own attic(s) in the past 10 yrs. If any emergency were to arise and required work in my attic, I'll do the work myself! Certainly can't smell it anywhere around my house, so I'm safe.