Advice on trimming/pruning lower growth and SCROG HELP

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Ddub_UpDere, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Wassup wassup

First grow. Would like advice on trimming or pruning lower growth. I look at all these pictures of others and they seem to clear all bottom leaves and growth. Is this method only used during flowering or is it a good technique to use during veg? Just asking for a lil advice, I have did research and watched videos but more info can't hurt.

[​IMG]

Thought I had more pics of the under side, sorry just one.

Now on to SCROG'n... I'm attempting to scrog my two plants. I personally feel like it's pointless because of the type of netting I got, I'm thinking it won't be beneficial. Here are some pics, give me some advice or comments or thoughts please. The setup isn't the best but it's what I'm working with, I'm sure I can come up with something better tho.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After 3 days ( gone for New Years )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Okay so far the way my plants grew (the way I topped them lol) its difficult to put each top in its own square, plus they are huge squares. Should I keep tucking the best I can? The net is held by zip ties so I can slide it up and down I guess.

Should I keep the scrog net and switch to flo soon or get rid of it and flip?

HELP A BROTHA OUT...please and thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. Hey OgSamurai thanks for the advice. Yeah I was told I could flower like two weeks ago lol I had just transplanted so I thought it'd be beneficial to let it veg and root a lil before I flipped it. However I do know that during flo it grows about half of its size right? Okay yeah you said it stretches lol

Well could you give me a lil advice on preparing for flo? I've read that it's best to ease it into flowering by taking a hour of lighting away each day until 12/12...any advice would help.

I'm using cfls and I've already been told it's not enough light and I won't have a great yield lol soooo any tips to increase yield for my first time would be great.

3. Okay gotcha. As far as the light goes, it's another reason I'm waiting. The plan is to invest in a LED this week or next, depending how life goes, VEG until then and flip once I get my new light. However, I'm contemplating whether I should just complete this first grow with CFLs only and just use a new light for my clones.

4. Yeah hopefully it can work out that way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So I trimmed and kinda fixed the scrog lower

[​IMG]

But then this happen!!!!

[​IMG]

WHAT SHOULD I DO???? Lol

5. Tape it up or zip tie it...it'll be fine. Actually, you'll probably find out that that or those 2 branches will be the best yielding. Pretty much an accidental monster crop

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  6. ET okay thanks for the advice man. Almost drenched it with great white lol. I have it leaning on the net but I'll use a zip tie

• Like Like x 1
  7. Super crop not monster crop :D Monster crop is cloning during bloom mode. But yeah get a nice knot there.

@topic, like stated use tape :) You are not really scroging right now, but your plants do look very healthy. You could of started the flower a while ago depending on how harsh you was with your transplant. Normally a few days are ok.

I am not really sure of what your lights are, but best thing I feel right now would just be some LST training (light stress training). Or you can do the super cropping. All that is (lots of youtube videos and readings on it), is when you flip these lovely ladies into bloom mode they are going to explode. They will 2-3x their size. Cannabis grows like a christmas tree. So all you are doing is taking the very top applying small pressure (you can feel it) and damaging the cell wall. This way you can just push it over and it will stay like that.

This way while it repairs and stays like that, the other branches on the plant can catch up and start to be even with the light. If that scares you (You can do this all day long in veg mode to get better at it), you can just use something to tie down the top. You know bend it to stop it from going right up.

Sorry long post. I would remove the net for now, work on a better one for next grow. And just LST it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Thanks for the correction. You are right super crop is the correct term. And I also agree with removing that scrog net. It's far past the time for really striking and the holes are huge. The low stress technique is probably your best bet and judging by how lanky they are you could probably damn near bend the top and tape it off to the pot, LOL. Although, I have seen some scrog Nets that are larger holes and more of a Mainline technique is used. Where the branch is just laid horizontally underneath the net and the nodes are allowed to stretch up. Where in a scrog you are continually tucking and stretching the branches horizontally. If it were me I would LST the plant as suggested above. Good luck none the less

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  9. ET/ Diatt thanks for the advice. Yeah idk these pass few days the scrog didn't seem to be too effective. Really out of control and unable to keep tops in their own square, obviously cause size of squares. I was gonna stick it out but yeah I'll try some LST...I've did a lil...well a lot lol both plants are leaning/curved and I was trying to main line but I topped it too many times and it went everywhere.

Diatt I'm using CFls, eight 6500k daylight bulbs, actually I think two are like 5000 something, but anyway I plan to get a led here soon, tentative next week and then I'll start flowering. I've been convinced that CFls won't yield enough or be worth it.
    Look at these pics today of my scrog, lights on then off.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It seems to be holding them down...basically soft LST kinda. I mean some of the tops are turning up. Anyway yeah I was considering moving it but I guess I will if it would be better without.

What if I add another layer of netting? Two layer scrog, saw it on a YouTube vid...JW

Thanks y'all ( what happen to the other ppls comments???????)

10. Your CFL will work, and I think thats why Scrogging was invented. Came from some one using CFLs. You can use them, but just LST. Not sure what LED you are getting but most are the same and do not have the power to fully penatrate through to the bottom. Though the 6500k you can bloom with them, but you would want more 2500K(red light for bloom) if you was to bloom. Though both would be ok, they just use more red light in bloom.

Again you are doing well with your ladies but remember they will explode. Best of luck and yeah lots of messing with it, youll get it in no time.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Diatt. Yeah I have 8 2500k bulbs I was planning on using lol idk man I'm currently becoming completely indecisive...I wanted to just do this first grow with what I have, initially keeping it cheap/frugal but I've been just investing and investing lol geesh...

Thanks man

12. Any update on this thread... how did flower go?