Advice On Protein Shakes

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by John Lennon, May 27, 2014.

1. Im starting the gym in a few days. Im 1.74cm tall and weight about 60kg. I dont excercise at all, im not strong but I do have stamina for running or taking long walks. I eat a lot of junk but I dont see it affecting my weight. Im really skinny.

Id like to start with a protein shake. Do you know what kind of product would be good for my needs? Id like to get in shape and gain weight. im not interested in being a big guy just get my muscles better and looking healthy. Any advice?

Sent from my GT-S5830i using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. #2 4r5t6y7, May 27, 2014
    Last edited: May 28, 2014
    Use a Protein shake that says Bulking, or mass builder.  It has all the protein plus extra calories.  BUT you MUST work out if you want it to work.  Otherwise it'll all go to your stomach. Protein shakes don't build muscles at all.  They repair your muscles you stressed during a workout.

Personally I used this protein shake for a while:
    Beware though Protein shakes are expensive.  Also read up on Whey and Casein proteins and see which one suits your need betteer.

Edit: Also it doesn't matter when you drink your shake. Personally I drink it after my workout, but as long as you get the needed nutrients before you go to bed you're fine.

[​IMG]

3. I like WHEY protein (chocolate flavor), does the trick. I drink it post-workout ...it's like a meal in itself, will keep me full for 2-3 hours. Don't, however, drink protein shakes just randomly when you aren't exercising.

4. stay away from protein isolates.
    find something like hemp protein. natural and organic. 

5. #5 Mr Unknown, May 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2014
    They are supplements to supplement your actual meals.

Take one with your breakfast, have one after a workout then a meal after that, and one with dinner, or 30 minutes before bed.

Gotta eat big to get big.

You should have a whey protein shake for workouts, and a casein protein for breakfast and dinner/bed.

Whey is fast absorbing and casein is slow absorbing.

6. personally just get whatever is on sale at hi health when I run out but im currently using true mass.. I drink it lost workout because sometimes after not working out for a while ill puke by the end of my workout so it would be undigested and a waste if I drink it before.. idk kg to pound conversions but you mentioned your really skinny so you should consider a meal replacement shake with yout breakfast.. idk if you have a hI health near you but they have great customer service and will help you find what your looking for and even if not im sure whatever health or sports store your buying these from will have somebody that can be of assistance

7. post workout** not lost

8. Casein* thanks for correcting me, I said Isolate by mistake lol

9. I read your post but I didn't catch that mistake :p lol.

I believe a read an article that a blend of casein and whey protein together is best after workouts, since muscle synthesis (hopefully the phrase in looking for) lasts for 24 hours? My memory right now is a bit off, but wondering if you heard anything about that?

10. #10 4r5t6y7, May 28, 2014
    Never heard of it but it kind of makes sense, the Whey would be for immediate recovery of your muscles after the workout and the Casein would be for the overnight repair.  The Whey + Casein blend is always a good choice in my book since it has both.  Right meow though I only have Full Whey Protein since it was on sale at walmart for $14 and I wanted to give it a try.  Not bad tasting.

Also what's your personal and experienced opinion on mainly focusing on upper body for working out, only toning abs, and only using the Stair Stepper Machine for legs?  My calves* and thighs are Naturally bigger than usual, I get it from my dad.  But my upper body is Really lacking.  BodyBuilding Forums of course says this wont work but I have seen major results on my triceps, biceps, and shoulders.
    [​IMG]

11. A good blend I found is Phase8. Good tasting to, but if you can get protein at $14, that's a steal. I also got pure casein for nights and a pure whey for during workouts.

As for you legs, I say don't skip them. Even if they are big, good to keep em working. Got two suggestions you can think about.

One is have a leg say, but with that leg day, work to tone instead of build. So do light weights for high reps. This way your still getting your and keeping your legs strong instead on building them up in size.

Other one is, focus on your upper body and core but incorporate a workout or two for your legs. This can be 3 sets of 10 reps, just something so your still hitting your legs. Maybe just a squat exercise and some leg curls.

I don't think people should skip a muscle group, but that's just me. This way you can focus on your upper body but still not neglect those legs.

I don't have any personal experience trying those methods out, but I think those would work. Maybe someone with more knowledge could chime in too.

12. #12 4r5t6y7, May 28, 2014

Well like I said I do use the Stair Stepper, it's my last workout before I head out.  Idk if you've used the stairs before but those are killer.  I feel the burn within 2 minutes and Feel a little sore the day after, but not sure if the stairs are good for building legs. I'm still learning the machines in my gym so not to familiar with leg weights

13. I use the Body Fortress now for about 7-8 months I like the chocolate but sometimes switch it up with strawberry. There pretty fillin I drink them after working out . and for the pre work out I "Juice" Kale/Cucumber/Carrot/Celery about 40mins before hitting the gym. I'm 5'9 170pounds and pretty ripped in my upper body I really like doing pull ups and isolated dumbbell curls roman chair , bench press push ups and riding the bike . you guys have any favorite workout song's ???? I'm always looking for new stuff to play when I'm lifting. Also for recover its always good to drink lot's of water I myself like to drink r.o water haha (peace)

14. Ya I'm not to familiar with the stair machine, but I don't think it's all that great for building muscle. And since you wanna keep your legs where they are, I think stairs should be fine.

15. Yeah, just until my arms and chest catch up.  They are far behind still.

16. #16 Uphill_, May 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2014
    Y'all best be trolling this poor guy.

Get that "protein shake" notion out of your head bro. Protein shakes is not something that you are required to take when you workout. Protein is one of the three main macronutrients (the others is carbs and fat). It's function is to repair any muscle tissue that has been broken down (eg while working out). You take protein when you eat certain types of food. If for some reason you do not manage to get the required protein by your food, you can chug a protein shake and fill up that protein gap.

Granted that, protein shakes ARE NOT YOUR BEST CHOICE. Especially since you are just starting working out. Throw that whole supplement deal out of your fucking window. You shouldn't even consider taking any kind of supplements until you have done your research and you have been in the fitness game for some time.

What you need to do, since you are a beginner, is the basic stuff. I am not going to iterate here, because it is a looooooong ass of information. Use the internet. Use your brain. Don't be one of those dudes that works out day after day after week after month after year not progressing at all, curling dumbbells in the squat rack, chugging down preworkouts and protein shakes and staying the same month after month, benching 135 for life.

Here are some extremely helpful links that should put you on the right track in your fitness journey. Spend some time and read at least the first one, if you do it you are probably going to be thanking me later.

Beginner's Health and Fitness Guide
    Few pages to read and has a TON of knowledge. Give it your best shot to read it, it is gonna save you weeks of wasting your time in the gym.
    http://4chanfit.wikia.com/wiki/Harsh%27s_Worksheet_%28WIP%29
    Another great read, has another ton of information, but it kind of overlaps with the previous link.
    http://exrx.net/
    Your best bet to find information about any exercise you stumble across.
    http://swole.me or http://www.eatthismuch.com/
    Meal planner. You input the calories you need and the meals you want to have and it creates your meal plan for you. Really handy.

Recommended programs for a beginner:
    Starting Strength (by Mark Rippetoe)
    There is also a book by him called starting strength, which explains the whole routine, and it is a must read if you are serious about this stuff. Has all the information you need to perform the exercises in the program, which should also be the base of any other program you do in the future.
    Stronglifts 5x5
    A variation of Starting Strength and a great alternative to it. Good info on the site regardless of the routine.

Thats all I could come up with right now mate. I am stoned as fuck so I might have mumbled a bit too long, look this up.
    Everything I wrote was to prevent you from wasting your time in the gym, like all these other people do. Whatever you do, do it good and do it effectively. Don't fall for the whole scam supplement industry, and start pumping them your money for useless shit. Read what I have sent you, build a good diet foundation, exercise intensely in the gym, and you will see results soon. If and only if, after all that, you decide to take a supplement down the road, remember that the only supplements that actually might benefit you are these:
    Whey Protein, Mass Gainer Shakes (although pretty unhealthy and can make you fatty quickly - the bad kind of fatty), creatine, multivitamins, fish oils, and preworkouts (although these suck generally, just drink a cup of coffee before you work out). Nothing of all these is magic and will work if you dont have a solid diet or intense workouts at the gym.

That's all bro, peace! :bongin: :smoking: :hello:

you forgot one supplement that actually does work, have a blunt, vape or whatever form you like postworkout if possible as well, really helps cut down on excess inflammation.

i worked those routines for many years, great for building some mass and strength, without burn out, good choices.

18. oh no horrible choices for protein guys... ive tried many. although protein is protein there are factors to consider like sugar amount how much calories and grams per serving. also your diet and body type. picking a protein is hard you have to be specific on what kind of results your looking for. if you settle for low quality your not getting the best results for your money. its expensive but i seen best results while taking GNC multivitamin and GNC AMP protein. best my bodies ever looked till i had to cut weight. good luck guys.

19. lol who drinks coffee before a workout? you'll shit all over the place