Advice on plants. "Pics"

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by DChief420, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Okay so my 2 plants are about 4 & a half weeks old, almost five. There a strain of mid random seeds. They may seem small due to early stress from lack of lighting, so in the past two weeks they have really been growing. List of my setup.

Custom Cabinet 4ft x 4ft.
    Lined with reflective material.
    2, 65 Watt CFL
    1, 100 Watt Grow CFL
    In 4 Gal Buckets
    In Premium Miracle Grow Soil.

Pic 1 Through 3 are my first plant. I need some help to determine if it's a female or male?

Pic 4 & 5 is my second plant, I also need to determine if its a female or male?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated, & please no dissing my little plants!! :D:smoking: Peace & Love.

Attached Files:

2. You probably wont know the sex until the 3rd or 4th week into flowering.

3. Also if you can find some decent size pieces of carboard and cover them with aluminium foil as neatly as possible, or better yet a sheet of mylar. That will help you disperse the light

4. Use Mylar only. Aluminum foil is actually a bad reflector.

5. But I would say it is better than no reflector at all. Of course mylar is preferred, but for decades people used aluminimium.

6. Upon further reading I guess foil is worse than white paint. So don't listen to me, save up a few buck-a-roonies and get some mylar. Reckon I will have to do the same. Its a shame too cause my little micro with AL looks like its doin dandy.

7. And now we know not use it... If you cant afford a roll of Mylar pick up flat white paint. It is more reflective then Mylar to begin with.

Back to the plants, looks a little early to be figuring out sex, I understand there small because of lack of light the first few weeks. But I would continue for 3 or more weeks. You have a 4ft tall cab right? Use that space. But keep in mind the taller the plant the less the rest of the plant suffer from lack of light due to the intensity drops considerable from cfls after about 4-6" after that it's not doing anything.

Reason im bringing this up is because its becoming common ppl using large or tall boxes and still using bulbs they used in there PC. Not tryin to affend anyone here but your plants and you would be very happy if you added side lighting. I'm trying to prep a 3ft tall cab with 4 bulb t5 fixtures mounted on end for some what of a vertical scrog.

8. To early to tell. If you see little buds like things where the marijuana bud grows with no white hairs after a week and a half of them being there then it is a male if you see the hairs then it's a female. Please check in again when they are older and they appear in a few days say 3-5 days and we can most likely tell you if you zoom up on these spots but it's now impossible to tell by just looking a genetic test of the plant may be needed to determine this early as far as I know. Keep checking for these as getting the males away from females is important unless you want to breed them.

And just to chime in on the discussion of paints and aluminum foil. You should always use the whitest paint you can find(flawless white color) the more white the less the paint will absorbe the rays and light spectrum of the bulb producing the light. If you want proof of this look no further then a high school physical science book. Or do an experiment by putting on a darker colored shirt vesrus a white shirt on a sunny day you'll notice that you feel cooler in the white shirt and light shines off of you alot.

9. No biggy, I didn't know until recently myself. I doubt there would be a significant affect on the overal grow quality but every little positive equals better yield and stronger fruit. :D

10. What kind of CFLs do you have?

11. Here is the deal...
    your plant is healthy and pretty like a house plant and will grow and look soft and nice like that as long as she is in veg. When you put a weak soft pretty plant like that to flower she produces sparse and airy buds and cannot support the weight of what she produces, if it is a she.
    Start another one now.
    What you are doing with this one boy or girl doesn't matter, it is a learning experience and the next time will be 500% better. By the time your next one is coming up you will be in the groove.

Now what to do with this one.
    While in veg you want blue light so w/the cfl's you want cool white
    You want the very minimum of 5000 lumen per sq ft. as she grows and takes up more sq footage you add more lights. This is what you get.
    2$ household extension cords. for each extension cord you get the kind with 3 outlets.
    2 plug in light bulb socket adapters (electrical dept lowes or Home Depot)
    for each plug in socket you get
    2 Y socket splitters for a total of 4 sockets per extension cord. Each cord will hold 4 bulbs these should be 26 watt cool white for veg warm white flower.
    4- 26 watt cool white bulbs are a bit more than 5000 lumen, the minimum you need. If you made 2 of these for each sq ft you would have the ideal 10000 + lumen per sq ft.
    You can grow some nice bud with cfl's but the key is to get a strong enough light to produce a good sturdy plant. I use them to supplement and have also done a couple nice crops with them. Ya gotta keep them close w/o touching and ya gotta use lots of them.:wave: good luck:wave::smoking: