Advice and opinions needed- indecision n chameleon glass

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by nabe-stona, Jul 31, 2009.

1. So my bud-brother and I are planning to make a Jager-bong this weekend. I'll be picking up a slide for it, and have been debating on picking up a new piece for awhile. I've never actually bought one before, so I want it to be a special piece to commemorate my deciding to plunk down the money for my first non-homemade bowl. I'm thinking I want either a spoon or a bubbler, but I'm also debating on getting a Sherlock, as it's just about the only type of pipe I've never smoked out of. Almost definitely going for a glass piece, most likely Chameleon glass. So my problem is this- what do I decide on? I saw a really cool and unique piece that was Chameleon glass and I've wanted it ever since, but it's prolly either sold out or out of my price range. Assuming it's one of those (because if it's in my range I'm snappin that bastard up!) should I go with the Sherlock to continue completing my life-weed experience? Or should I pick up a new bubbler to make up for the one my bud-brother had that broke? Or should I get a glass spoon of my own since the one I'm used to smoking out of is actually his? Decisions decisions. So, while I've used chameleon glass once, (the afore-mentioned spoon) I'm curious. How much experience do the rest of you have with it? Good, bad, or ugly? I've not gotten alot of hear-say about it really, but what I have heard says it's kick-ass in the color-changing department. And it's awesome to have a color-changing bowl. It's like watching a kid grow up, only instead of "me and my boy" it's "me and my bowl". I'm sure I'll be satisfied with whatever I end up getting, but with only another day or two til I go to pick it out, I'm trying to have a good idea of what I'm looking for. If I don't I could easily get overwhelmed by the options (I'm a small-town smoker who's only been to one headshop ever. And it was over an hour away...) The plus side to that is we go so far to get a new piece, then we have the whole ride back to break that bastard in! I think we might make a monthly ritual out of it. Pick a piece n put it through da paces with a road-toke! Get a good collection going, then sell the one's I'm not attached to for either more hetb or money to go for more herb. Might not road-toke the new piece just so I can take before and after pics to monitor the color change... Aight, I've rambled enough here. :smoking:

2. color changing bowls are sick...butt bubs are sick too dude

3. I always felt like color-changing bowls were really just colored glass getting dirtier and dirtier.

4. its actually usually the heat that causes the color to come out more but the resin helps it show.

5. this is completely wrong its not the heat, it the fact that the glass will reflect more colour when its has a dark base. When resin builds up it looks more pronounced. Put your piece on a black tshirt and it will look similar.

6. interesting. Well,it's not just the color changing aspect that draws me to Chameleon glass, it's also the superior craftsmanship. The one we have is far better quality than any regular dime-a-dozen glass pipes out there. I think I've decided on a sherlock pipe. I like that idea the best, unless I see a sick bubbler or something completely different. The unique piece I was after has been sold. Anywho, I will be posting some kick-ass pics tomorrow, and might even showcase the whole arsenal.

7. so we went in to the shop today, after investigating a good place to pickup our bong supplies, and I came across this baby. This was the one I wanted before, but didn't have the money to do more than look. I checked it out, and it was in my price range, so I grabbed that shit! May I introduce to you the Atomic Time-altering Morningstar. It's Chameleon Glass, and it's also supposed to change color. Hopefully I'll see some of that the next day or two. And that design is fuckin' KILLER! It's not the coolest thing ever, but when it comes to basic glassware, it's a step above anything I've seen. Breaking this bad boy in is going to be long, arduous and fun!:smoke:

Attached Files:

8. #8 WhosGotTheHerb, Aug 2, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2009

Well I've been told it was the heat and the resin but of course, they could be wrong. The reason I believed it is because all of my fumed peices, once cleaned, have much more of the fumed coloring to it than it originally did. I know the hold it to a black shirt trick though. It's cool to go look at pieces and do that to see what there true colors are.

btw OP. Nice choice. I'm not gonna lie though, the gas mask is cool and all for about.... one time. Thats how it was too me. It's much less efficient IMO. But that is a nice choice none-the-less! I like the bong for sure.

Double Edit: That is a gas mask right? lol. I cant really tell but I think it is...?

Triple Edit(haha): Alright I just figured out whats going on in the pic. I thought the one on the left look WAY too small to be a bong in the second one but its just really close to the screen. To me, it looked like a bong on a gas mask. haha. Ignore that part, but still nice choice. I like the shape a lot but it looks all black? If it is, then its not going to change colors...

9. That shit had me crackin' up dude! My laptop has a built in webcam I've been using, and it's kinda awkward still. It's a glass spoon with red spikey things that make it look like a medieval mace, or, "Morningstar" as I've named it (it's good for wake-n-bakes too :bongin:)It's black but the extending pieces are red. They're changing color, starting to get all trippy n swirly. the blacks not yet, but it's cool either way. The Morningstar is really shaping up to be my favorite "circle" piece. I don't really use it by myself mostly cause it's more than I need and I'm always trying to conserve when and where I can. But its most definitely a badass reminder for my first glass piece ever bought. And I smoke with other people enough that it'll get used plenty.

10. Chameleon Glass is a company, not a way of describing if glass changes color or not. Not all Chameleon glass will change in color.

What you need to look for is Fumed Glass if you want to see a change in color. You can find bubblers that are fumed, and it will change color.

If you go into your shop, they should have a black fabric or something dark laying around. Hold your glass up to that dark object and you will get an idea of how the color change will take effect.

11. So, I've had the Morningstar for almost a month now. It's still by far my favorite piece, and has acquired a new name and a nickname. We've called it Destruction (named for an RPG weapon that looks surprisingly similar, noticed while playing and smoking simultaneously), Jupiter or Zeus (The color swirls on the spiky protrusions are about the same color as Planet Jupiter, and Jupiter is the Latin name for Zeus, and I prefer Greek mythology to remain Greek) So I'm pretty sure Zeus is a good proper name for the bowl because it hits like a bolt of lightning.