Advanced Nutrients Vs. General Hydroponics - Side-By-Side

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by jakesterjammin, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Belated birthday wishes Jake.

Man, I had to re-read that test section a couple of times. I should be doing the same. CO2 is going to be my next upgrade so I don't have to worry about it just yet. I finally managed to get that dehumid. The seventh shop I visited had one for $150 with a digital dehumidstat. Happy days!

Temperatures are a bitch. Raise them, lower them...the quest for those perfect conditions. As long as both plants are under the same conditions then it's all good. I'm liking the methodology so far. Excellent testing analysis!

Would you be able to list all the GH nutes you are planning on using? I am familiar with AN, and I have used GH before but I haven't kept up with the GH range. These days I'm a House and Garden man with some AN thrown in. I'm a believer that no one company has all of the best products. They will all excel at something different. I think H&G have the best for roots with roots excellurator. AN have the advantage with big bud, H&G shooting powder is spectacular. I wonder if GH have a magic potion of their own :)

2. Tihspeed;

If you REALLY want to compost yourself you could always do a worm compost bin, indoors non-the-less. Google "worm compost bin indoor" and you'll get plenty of info. It takes a certain person to tackle that though.

Next, a number of food related byproducts can be composted; bananapeels, fruit/veg remains from cutting up, old salad, egg shells, coffee grounds, etc. This is the best stuff cause you don't eat it so your removing it from the waste stream.

Last, you can make your own organic tea from the likes of bat guano, fish emulsion, earthworm castings, the list goes on.

Check out this thread for organic growing....the guys dedicated;
    http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-grow-journals/945601-drtjmprs-t5-lst-grow.html

Good luck....

3. Thank man!!

Ya, they are a headache...
    I should have just setup a complete sealed chamber with a chiller and heat exchangers.. But with the cost of the move and trying to replace everything that was lost, I just could not afford it right now...

Ya, Roots Excelurator is the best rooting agent, but seems they jumped on the AN pricing bandwagon... Guess they are figuring if AN can get that kind of price, why can't they get it too....

What strikes me funny, AS SOON as Big Mike released that video claiming that Roots Excelurator was the best on the market, the price tripled overnight!! VERY STRANGE!!

Wonder if there was some kind of deal struck between the two companies???
    To be honest, H&G was not a well known brand, until that video, then if you have noticed, their prices have been climbing almost on a monthly bases..

Personally IMO, the two companies struck a deal, as we all know, one hand washes the other... Then Big Mike claims he is only looking out for his customers, STFU!! It's nothing more then a marketing ploy (or decoy) for what is really going on behind closed doors between the two companies...

Anyway, here is a complete list of the nutrients we'll be using...

AN Nutrient List:
    G/M/B
    VooDoo Juice
    Big Bud
    B-52
    Overdrive
    Bud Candy
    Nirvana
    Sensizym
    Bud Ignitor
    Rhino Skin
    Bud Factor X
    Piranha
    Tarantula
    Final Phase

GH Nutrient List:
    Flora G/M/B
    Diamond Nectar
    Floralicious Grow
    Floralicious Bloom
    FloraBlend
    FloraNectar
    Liquid KoolBloom
    SubCulture-B
    SubCulture-M
    FloraKleen

:wave:

4. Quick Update.......

Mothers are in the Ebb&Gro buckets..
    I'm going to use AN base, VooDoo, and B-52 on the mothers...
    1050ppm
    5.6 pH

Next update will be when the side-by-side chamber is dialed in...
    I will take some pics of the mothers at that point...

5. I appreciate the help, and I don't really wanna de-rail jake's thread here with my wramblings... but I've read enough how-to's to accomplish something that might actually grow... but im looking for simple and I don't wanna compost myself... I don't eat enough stuff to compost... ever... Im a fast food kinda guy and I like to finish my food... im not eating rabbit food just to give it to my plants... thats just dumb... I either eat or fast, nothing inbetween...

so to kinda pull this back to topic before I let it die... I was asking if there was a mega easy method... like mix it from a bottle and add water kinda deal and try to use organic soil...

so... I will patiently await your organic addition jakester... I will be taking notes... hopefully you can show me the light on making organic easy....

solid updates by the way bro... very awesome... im actually kinda surprised your plowing ahead with what I would consider one hand.... and we need more pictures of your babies... they look so awesome in those little pucks... I've never even seen those and I look each trip to lowes I make... I should just ask, they know me there by now...

6. #106 jakesterjammin, Dec 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2011

That's toooooo funny, because I'm the exact same way!!!
    Fast food, and what little I don't finish, my dogs get... LOL

The wife tried to feed me some wrabbit food once, saying I need to eat healthy.. :rolleyes:
    My dam dogs would not even eat it!! :D

But you're MORE than welcome to wramble away in ANY of my threads bro!!

Nope, no easy way to bring dirt into your house... LOL
    What I was thinking of doing, this coming summer, mixing enough in the backyard to store in a 50gal trashcan, then use another can for the used soil, and to remix the following summer...

Well first, you're going to [​IMG], then mix some and [​IMG] again... LMFAO

Hydro is SO MUCH EASIER!!
    Shit if you're lacking something in an organic grow, you have to brew some SHIT tea.. :rolleyes:

WTF, now I have to use my stove to brew "shit" tea... [​IMG]
    Come on really!!

With hydro, if ANYTHING is off, it can be corrected on the next flooding cycle (usually within 2hrs), and you also can make micro adjustments "On The Fly"... With organic soil, you have to wait "DAYS" for the soil to dry before you can make any adjustments..

That's why I have ALWAYS suggested hydro to the noob growers.. It's SO SIMPLE, just follow the directions and you won't go wrong.. If something is wrong, it can be adjusted and fixed within 2-3hrs...

Dam tree huggers just do not understand... LOL

Ya, whats the old saying???
    "No pain, No gain"?? ;)

But you would be shocked just how many times in your day to day life you bump your fingers on stuff and never really know it... Until you cut off a dam finger, then you know it every dam time!!! LOL

Getting the mothers in their hydro bucks is normally an hour task (if that), but took me ALL DAY!!
    Then I was up all last night in pain and did not get out of bed until 10am.. :D

But when I woke up, I was like SHIT, the light was on for 4hrs and I have not checked the babies!! Because sometimes you do not get them deep enough to get their roots into the flood zone, and 4hrs of heat will kill them without the roots being wet...

When I opened the tent to make sure they were still alive, I was like :eek:
    Their cute little leaves were standing up reaching for the sun!!

:yay:

Yesterday when they were still in the Jeffy 7 pucks (fucking dirt), they were all droppy and sad looking.. Then I also expected some kind of shock and figured it would take a day or two to recover from me man handling them...

Nope, NO SHOCK what so ever!!! :smoke:
    Matter fact, they looked better today in the hydro than in the dam dirt yesterday!

So here is a couple pics for ya bro...

Momma #1 (10hrs after being put into hydro buckets)
    [​IMG]

Momma #2 (again 10hrs after being put into hydro buckets)
    [​IMG]

Both Mammas together as happy as they can be
    [​IMG]

As far as the change over from the Jeffy 7 Pucks to hydro system..
    I simply tore off the netting from the pucks, tapped off as much of the nasty ass dirt as I could, then washed most of it off in a bath of 65F and pH of 6.8..

Then after they were in the hydro buckets, I run the flood for almost an hour..
    Then set it to run every 2hrs...

Flood schedule: 2hrs.
    Nutrients: AN base, VooDoo Juice, and B-52
    PPM: 1050
    pH: 5.6

I will increase the flooding time from 2hrs, to 2-1/2hrs, to 3hrs, as they get older..
    I hope to be striping clones within 30 days... ;)

7. The buckets look giant compared to them lol

8. LMFAO, I know huh....

I was thinking they were getting pretty big, then I put them in the 10" net pot lids, and :eek: they fucking shrunk!!! LOL

9. "Hunny I shrunk the pot mothers"

10. I feel your pain man. A couple summers ago I was getting ready to burn some limbs that I trimmed from the trees on my property. I'm holding the gas can in my hand saying this is a bad idea, and did it anyway. Long story short I flambéed myself. My wife said that I was on fire from my waist to the top of my head. And that happened in a split second. Luckily I only had third degree burns on my left arm and the left side of my face. I singed all of the hair off the top of my head along with eyelashes and eyebrows. Everything healed fine with no scarring. But I sure learned my lesson. I will never light a fire with gas ever again. The physical therapy alone was Hell.

Glad you made it out of it ok.

11. Dam dude... :eek:
    That's harsh!!!

I did that "ONCE" too, but just got the swoosh, never really on fire, but I will say, LAST TIME I used gas to start a fire.... ;)

We ALL make mistakes, but as long as we learn from our mistakes...
    I can guarantee that is the LAST TIME I will ever work on anything which is plugged in... LOL

I know, the wife said, what the hell, did you cut off the stems... LOL
    No, I used my special shrinking ray-gun!! :D

12. True dat! I've come close to killing some in the past because of that and forgetting to switch the on button. D'oh, all that care and attention and then fail at the simplest of tasks. Occupational hazard of being a stoner I guess.

Cheers for the list man. Got a couple of questions about what they all do but I'm sure we will get to that soon. Now if those plants would just hurry up and grow... :D

13. Update:

12/13/2011
    [​IMG]

3 days later

12/16/2011
    [​IMG]

14. Well thank god they didnt get your looks!

15. I cut the tip of my pinky off when I was 8 and they re-attached it. They said I'd never have feeling or a nail! we the nail started to grow back about 3 years later, and the nail bed keeps getting longer still. As for feeling, I didn't know I had any until about 2 months ago when I ran a SQ1 bit through the side of my nail through the meat. But yeah there's some feeling, and when you get deep it counts like anywhere else. I should mention I'm 32 now. Oh yeah, you ever seen Shrek, cause that's what your finger is gonna look like now!

16. Well the last time I was at the doctor I told him it's been hurting real bad, and he did some tests with a pin, which I felt him poke me... So he said that the pain and that I can feel the pin is good, because it means the nerves are making a connection and passing signals..

He don't think I will get the nail back because the bed was damaged...
    But if I can get the feeling back, that's all I care about... The nail I don't care about, I hate cutting my nails anyway and that's one less to cut... :D

Nope, never seen Shrek...
    All my kids are in their 20s and I got about 14yrs on ya... :p

Working on the pluming for the RDWC now, will be having some pics posted here shortly..

17. my nail started back as a freakish little sliver, but who knows?!?!?!

18. i have just read ALL 8 pages on a crap internet connection (2.5 hours), looking forward to the rest ,
    does this site have a poll that we can nail our colours to, ie AN or GH or other.
    i am using GH F/M/B + bio-roots in plain coco but changing to R DWC when my grow is done so i'll wait and see how it goes here with the nutes battle.

and to all who have helped you and yourself :hello: :hello: :hello:

Middy in cz

19. Welcome aboard!! :wave:

Yes, there is a poll I can start, and thought of doing just that, but then thought, there is going to be a LOT which you would really need in hand to judge.. Like bud density, which nutrient produced the largest buds, the quality of the medication itself, etc. etc.

So, really what I hope to show is not the slight differences, but the night and day difference... To be honest here, does AN being double the cost of most other nutrients justify anything but a night and day difference???

I know that I will be weighing ease of maintenance, as far as the daily maintenance, and weekly maintenance (time in changing with fresh soup) and mixing the 13 different AN nutrients as opposed to the 8 from GH (not including G/M/B base)...

This will be some of the data I hope to collect and supply.. But again, IMPO, if there is not a night and day difference, I (personally) cannot justify increasing my patient's medication costs simply because it's easier for me to maintain..

But I hope to supply this thread's readers with enough information to make their own judgment in the end...

Here is a couple images of how I'm doing the RDWC..
    I'm using 1/2" feed lines (Teed to both buckets) powered by 185GPH EcoPlus pump, and dedicated Botanicare 3/4" ebb & flow fill/drain fittings (so each bucket has it's own 3/4" return).. Then using an Active Aqua Commercial Air Pump (with 8 outlets and 70 lt per minute), and two 6" air stones in each bucket.

It takes exactly 20gal to fill both reservoir and buckets to about 1/4 to 1/2" below the net pot lids.. So with the 185GPH pump, we should get a little over 9 times per hour exchange rate... I should have went to larger pumps, but these will work...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see, I'm not done yet with the feed lines, I just plugged them up so I can test the system before moving forward...

Right off the reservoir I'm adding an elbow, so I can disconnect it and use the pump to drain the reservoir... I mounted the 3/4" returns a little higher than the pump in the reservoir, then the buckets fittings are setting 2"es higher than the reservoir's fittings.

The reason I did the returns on the buckets a little higher than the reservoirs', so (because I'm going to be under a SCRoG screen) I can flush the buckets and get all the old nutrient out. Then I set the reservoir's fittings a little higher then the pumps' intake so I can flush the reservoir without it feeding back into the buckets...

So when I want to drain, I would drain the reservoir below it's fittings, then flush the buckets, then flush the reservoir until all the old nutrient is extracted and end up with just water in the bottom 2"es of the reservoir...

Then I can get fresh soup added... ;)

Now, this is NOT the ideal setup!!
    I'm only doing it this way because my reservoirs set on the ground and I'm going to be under a SCRoG screen...

The ideal setup is to have everything slightly elevated (12-14" would be fine), so the 3/4" balance fittings are installed into the bottom of the buckets and reservoir (as opposed to the sides as I have them), and then that way you would simply open a drain valve (another 3/4" fill/drain fitting with a shutoff in the reservoir) to drain both reservoir and buckets completely...

You can have the reservoir's drain valve hooked to a garden hose going to a drain and use gravity, or if no near by drain is available, place a 5gal bucket under the reservoir's drain fitting and then drain everything using the bucket...

If all that makes sense... :confused: LOL

20. hello again , i ment a poll as to what nutes WE use , not a poll on how the plants are doing as only you can have your mitts and nose to tell the whole story.
    Middy