Advanced Nutrients Vs. General Hydroponics - Side-By-Side

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by jakesterjammin, Nov 22, 2011.

1. The same kind of injury gave Sabbath their sound. Grow rooms can be serious hazards. I've only just recovered from splitting my knuckles open, just caught the side of some ducting and blood bath...

It's when you go against your better judgement that things start getting hairy :)

So the baby mommas seem off to a go start.

2. Ya, like I said, I remember looking at the blower's plug and thinking it will only take a second... Then baadaa bing, ouchy... lol

Yep moms seem to be doing pretty good...
    I usually do not use the starter pucks, but it's all I had..

Maybe next week I'll be putting them into their hydro buckets and get the side by side chamber tested out..

:smoke:

3. I had a question. What should i use to hang my carbon filter from the cross beams of my grow tent. I used rope to test it out, im just wondering if there is a better solution.

4. Ya, that's fine..
    I use large zip ties, so whatever works and is strong enough to securely hold the weight..

5. #65 4ddiction, Dec 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2011
    Hmm, i might move it actually. My tents cross beams are set up like so. =|= there are two parallel poles, and one that is above them. I might hang the carbon filter above the light attached in between the two parallel poles and then attach the 1000w light to the single pole. Should be more organized this way. You think that should be fine?

edit: took a pic

[​IMG]

6. man bro... that finger looks terrible... I hope your right handed... look at it this way... you have a whole new girlfriend there... like you've known her your whole life, but a whole new look, hahahahahaha

those starter pucks look crazy... I had to take a second look, looks like panty hose... got me thinkin

keep the updates and pics rolling.... love it bro, well besides you destroying your finger... that part is scary... one more second and you could have lost fingers... not cool

7. I always have hung the filter and exhaust blower on the top frame pole..
    Never really trusted the cross poles to hold all that weight..

With cooltubes you maybe can get away with it, but the hoods are a lot more weight.. So I always hung the lamps from the center poles, and the blower/filter on the back frame pole..

Ya, I've always used the pucks in a pinch..
    They work great for seedlings and will support them until they are in their second week and start demanding real nutrients...

I always seen them in stores, but one day I was at Home Depot and they had a year end sale, 10 cents per puck, so I bought 10 bucks worth since they last forever... LOL

Yep, I'm right handed..
    The wife cleaned up the room before I got home, but you should have seen it, the room looked like someone was chopped up with an ax in there... ;)

With my finger squirting, the blower sucking the blood in and blowing it out as it was flipping and spinning around, there was fucking blood everywhere.. Even I was covered in blood...

When the medics walked in and seen me, the look on their face was priceless, because it looked a LOT worse then it really was.... One medic said he thought I was shot several times... It looked bad man...

8. Ahh my hood comes in tomorrow so ill play around how to hang it then. Just got my 4' fluorescent in there right now for my seedlings.

9. Girlfriends n'hoods. I thought this was a respectable scientific grow. :D

10. [quote name='"DenialTwist"']

Girlfriends n'hoods. I thought this was a respectable scientific grow. :D[/quote]

Hahahaha.....

11. Well so we're all clear...
    My girlfriend's hood (if I had one) did not cut off my finger... :D :p

Got the new hood installed and the bulb fired right up...
    First bad hood I have ever seen in the 16yrs I have been growing...

Also, I love the way The Hydro Source handled this issue...
    First thing Monday morning I emailed them with how I diagnosed the issue, received a response within 15 minutes or so apologizing for the inconvenience with the RMA # and instructions, also stating that they are going to do a cross ship, by the afternoon I received the FedEx email with the tracking number...

I'm telling you, if you want great prices and outstanding customer service, check out their site...
    I have yet to find better customer service anywhere!!

I'm going to start testing of the side-by-side chamber Sunday (maybe sooner)..
    Friday is my Birthday and I plan to get sloppy, fall down drunk!! ;)

:wave:

12. JJ, im going to call ya Stumps now k? lol The little ones are looking as good as a little one could. Your keeping them in Coco?

13. Well as long as we're talking about my finger... ;) LMFAO

No, they are in Jiffy7 Peat Pucks...
    I used them because I was out of Root Riots and did not have the funds to get more..

They work fine, but before I put them into the hydro buckets I take pHed water and wash most of the soil from the roots... Done it a million times and not saying it's the best method, but works fine in a pinch...

14. Thanks for the thread will be following along very curious!

Man sorry about the finger but at least you have a sense I humor about it. A couple years ago I sliced about an inch off my middle finger - the meaty fingerprint area and side. I had the opposite problem though. Nobody including me thought it was as bad as it was. I thought I had just cut it and would need stitches. At the ER they had me wait a while and were very nonchalant until the bandage came off and the nurse got sprayed with blood. Look on his face was priceless. Then the doctor when cleaning it up says "do you have the piece?" "piece?" "yeah the piece you sliced off?" "fuuuuck really?" so yeah I found the little chunk of finger when I got home. Oops.

15. Thanks man... Ya it was a scary moment... The medics that come made sure they got the top of the finger, wrapped it in some cloth with yellow stuff on it and put it in a ice chest... So they were on top of their game...

I was lucky that it did not go through the blades, but was setting on top near the center of the motor..

Went in today and they said the swelling went down, but not enough to cast it.. So back to icing it, which hurts like a MF...

But we'll get this grow back on track... ;)

16. [quote name='"DSnutz"']Thanks for the thread will be following along very curious!

Man sorry about the finger but at least you have a sense I humor about it. A couple years ago I sliced about an inch off my middle finger - the meaty fingerprint area and side. I had the opposite problem though. Nobody including me thought it was as bad as it was. I thought I had just cut it and would need stitches. At the ER they had me wait a while and were very nonchalant until the bandage came off and the nurse got sprayed with blood. Look on his face was priceless. Then the doctor when cleaning it up says "do you have the piece?" "piece?" "yeah the piece you sliced off?" "fuuuuck really?" so yeah I found the little chunk of finger when I got home. Oops.[/QUOTE]

Aww buddy rough lol

17. Wow, I bookmarked this a week or so ago when I saw it because I didn't have time to comment then and it blew up since.

Sucks about the finger, dude. I've had a hell of a lot of mishaps that resulted in bloodloss, sometimes significant, but luckily I haven't every cut off a substantial part of my body yet. I've always been pretty paranoid about stuff like that because I know it's exactly the kind of stupid mistake I'd be likely to do. Trust me... in the future I'll be thinking of you any time I'm working with something capable of separating me from an appendage.

I like the idea of what you've done so far and what you're talking about doing from here. If I may I'd like to make a suggestion:

Please switch the A&B plants from one side to the other each week.

Just make a little sign with an A and a B for each side and you can move those when you move the plants so no one gets confused about which is which, but that way you can nip any questions about one side of the tent having better light, temps, humidity, etc in the bud.

It'd be awesome if there'd be some way to make it so you didn't know which plants were getting which nutes but I don't know how that would be possible. That'd make it a true "blind" study.

Either way, this is gonna be good!

18. Jake Stumpy Finger Jammin says:
    Ya, we all make mistakes, but the WORST mistakes we can make is when we know better, and totally disregard our safety...

Like I said, before I even touched the blower I looked right at the plug, KNEW I should unplug it before touching that blower, and thought, naaaaaaa, it will only take me a second.....

Yep, a second later I'm standing on the ladder staring at my finger squirting blood, thinking, "NO THAT DID NOT JUST HAPPEN" with my eyes bugged out of my head!!!

Then when it all sank into my brain, "yes it did just happen dumbass", started screaming like a little girl.... :D

NO, you can't.... LMFAO..... JK
    Sorry high on pain meds right now... ;)

Well I can't because I'm going to do this round using the SCRoG method..
    Just so I can do this side-by-side testing and when done, have enough to supply all my patients their limit... Until I can get a SOG going in the next run...

I'm still going to continue with the side-by-side testing, but it will be SOG, so I can get a steady stream of medication to my patients....

The cool thing, a couple are requesting ALL organic...
    So we can do a side-by-side "Manufactured Nutrients Vs. All Organic Compounds"..

Then once we get rolling, I want to test LED Vs. HID, HID Vs. Plasma, and LED Vs. Plasma.. Among testing "Cheap Bulbs Vs. Expensive Bulbs"...

I figure since we have the chamber(s) build already, it would be nothing to put up a wall in the center of the main chamber to have two 3x4 chambers side-by-side....

So stick around, it's going to be a GREAT year for growing!! :hello:

Ya I know, that would be the kat's ass....

But by law I cannot allow anyone else in the grow room, and oddly enough, not even the patients... I think because I'm growing more than one patient's medication within the grow room...

That's what sucks, because I wanted to do videos, but the law stops me from doing so... I'm still going to do some videos, but I'll have to be behind the cam, not in front of it explaining and showing whats going on...

So bare with me, some of the videos maybe shaky and not the best because of the one man band....

19. SUB'D!! Great idea for GH vs.AN. I got my vote in for Advance nutrients all day.

Did i just miss it reading through or did it say exact nutrients. Such as if it's base line like An jungle juice vs flora series. Or are you going with like sensi a-b or connisiour? Also are you going to add anything besides base nutrients?

20. Thanks Burn!
    We're going to just the base Grow/Micro/Bloom with the Grand Master bundle, Vs. the complete line up from GH, including their SubCulture-B & SubCulture-M so it is a fair fight, because AN uses Piranha & Tarantula..

We're going to follow what they suggest as far as what PPM and pH they want within the different stages of flowering growth..

Right now I'm trying to work out a deal with The Hydro Source owner to get my hands on AN's new pH Perfect line of G/M/B..
    They are one of the VERY few stores which now have it in stock... So I would LOVE to get my hands on that and use that in this
    side-by-side!!!

I'm going to try and make this as fair as I can...
    Because personally I do not care who wins, as long as my patients win in the end.. ;)