adjusting ph in soil??

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by justblaze622, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Very new grower here. Ive got a question concerning adjusting the ph in my 5 gallon smart pots. 4 plants are 3 weeks into veg, they are growing in FFOF, no additional nutes yet. Watering with distilled water. Ph has crept up to 6.8 6.9ish. Looking for best way to lower the ph? Should i treat the soil or the water im feeding them?? Ive got access to some ph up and down for hydro system. Can i use that to lower the ph of the water im giving them??? Looking for a guru thats got some room under his wing for a guy thats ready to learn!!!

2. vinegar will bring your ph down...baking soda with bring ph up. that amount you put in depends on how much water is in your bucket. Dont really have exact numbers for ya but hope that helps

3. you should mix vinegar or lemon juice into your water and test your water. i prefer a digital tester so i can quickly monitor it as im adjusting

4. the Fox Farm Ocean Forest is pH'd to 6.3 -6.8.

Marijuana's OPTIMAL growing pH is 6.5

6.8 isn't bad at all, in fact at a pH of 6.8 your plant is able to absorb 6 of the 8 primary nutrients required -- and the 2 that you're missing are best absorbed at a pH of 6.5 and lower.

I'd say --- unless you're seeing problems with your plants --- 6.8 is just fine.

Here is a chart to help make more sense of what I just said.

[​IMG]

5. Sorry to Hi-jack but do you have any other nifty charts you want to share with me :D thanks.

6. haha! I wish I could take credit -- but really... I can't -- these are things I have found by wandering through the forums at GrassCity

The HID Light Guide -- has some great charts for lighting....

7. So it is safe to mix vinegar with water and feed the plant with it?

8. you can buy pH up and pH down from PetSmart or PetCo --- located in the aquatic section for under $5.00 per bottle

Vinegar -- is supposed to be fine -- but why not just spend the $5.00

9. because it works the same and is safe :D. I've used PH down and vinegar. I choose to continue using vinegar because per volume it is way cheaper.

i forget the name of the specific acid but when i was doing research on PH down, chemically6 vinegar is just a diluted form of the same thing they use to make PH down.

10. My  soil  Ph is between  5  and  5.5  .
    4 different plants in 4 stages of flower .

What should I use to being the Ph  up ?
    I dont want to change it too radically , too quick .

Whats the easiest thing to use ?  ( sod bicarbonate ? )