Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

ADHD (inattentive/SCT) and weed?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by fadeddd, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Ever since I was a little kid, people have told me I'm lazy, unmotivated, that I don't apply myself or try, etc. I basically just accepted it as character flaws. I've had panic attacks my entire life as well, which I have always assumed was totally unrelated, but they have gotten bad enough that they've caused a degree of agoraphobia in me. I've been this way my whole life, I've only been smoking pot the past 3 years or so.

Anyways, I went to a neuropsychologist for the first time in my life, and I can already tell the diagnosis (which I get in 2-3 weeks) will at least consist of ADHD-PI. I passed all the tests extremely well except the tests involving ability to focus, and to a lesser extent, tests involving memory. Then he began asking how I did in school, I told him I never did any homework but aced all my tests, my teachers treated me like shit 90% of the time, that I almost dropped out, and also that I'm super disorganized and can barely take care of myself. Also, I was given a thing he wanted my mom to fill out which I knew was a form with a bunch of questions for Adult ADD, and she got halfway through it and began laughing and said "what is this form? it's describing you in every way".

I went to him to try and get to the bottom of my anxiety disorder, and now he's uncovered this. I wasn't expecting it, I don't even really know what it means. I guess he'll explain all that.

A lot of the symptoms seem like indicas would probably just make it worse. I know sativas are sometimes helpful for people with ADD, but I don't really like them usually because they're not strong enough and they make me anxious and indicas don't. Anyone have some feedback on weed and this condition? :/ Is ADD something you're supposed to be able to work yourself out of if you just try to apply yourself? I guess I have a really hard time believing it's not just me being a lazy ass person.

2. Forgive me, I find it hard to understand what the actual question is.
    But, to my knowledge, Marijuana is sometimes used as a treatment for ADHD.
    It greatly calms down any nerve, or anxiety, that someone with ADHD would have.
    Of course, as with any medical problem, it varies on the person.

Im not sure if this answered your question, but I did my best.
    :smoke:

3. #3 kojopolis, Oct 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2011
    seeing as you still use these forums, how are you doing? i have everything you've listed except panic attacks, never do homework but ace tests, extremely disorganized, accepted 'laziness' as a personality trait
    weed has helped me with getting shit done before and helps me get introspective when i get anxious about stuff

and wow dude under me my grade 7 teacher put a fucking box around me as if

4. I had to do a double take and see if I had written that myself. That is exactly how I would describe my growing up. I would suggest a good energetic sativa. I have had a little success with them. Unfortunately, the only thing that has helped me are the stimulants like adderall. Not to worry, they are extremely safe as long as you don't abuse them.

Oh yeah, in school did they ever try to put a box around your desk to try and make you focus. LOL, not only does it not work but it is social murder. Oh, and you have to ignore the ignorant remarks people make about you. It isn't laziness, in fact it's just the opposite. I would like to see a non adhd individual do what it takes for us to actually fight the disorder and accomplish what they have deemed simple or trivial tasks. The punishment of Sisyphus comes to mind.
    Sisyphus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anyway, good luck

5. fuck man u described me but my problem is my parents are realy good at school and have alway expected realy good marks from me

6. I started to see a fairly traditional cognitive therapist during the summer, and she's one of those who thinks all these conditions are diagnosed too much... and she showed me some various charts of all the symptoms stress can cause, including inattentiveness, anxiety, depression, lack of motivation, hopelessness, etc etc and how it leads to numerous negative thinking patterns/cognitive distortions that in turn create more problems/reinforce the other ones.

So while I'm technically diagnosed as being ADD and having anxiety disorders, lately I've just been looking at it as stress and trying to reduce my stress, practice mindfulness, staying in the moment, not thinking about the past/future, breaking negative thinking cycles right when they start... and I haven't had many full blown panic attacks recently, maybe one in several months. I've also been pulling A's and procrastinating less (although I should be writing a paper right now :eek:)

Yeah actually, we had these big cardboard dividers some teachers insisted on using during tests as an anti-cheating measure, and I had a teacher put one around me to try and obstruct me from talking.

7. #8 Apu, Oct 8, 2011
    First ADD and ADHD are very different. I have(Or had) ADHD. Most people will grow out of it the problem is certain parts of our brain take longer to develop than the average human. Mainly impulse control, memory, focus. I also get panic attacks but that is unrelated. Weed turned me from a 15 yr old little cunt to a 19 yr old who people love. We shall never know for sure if I grew out of it or if weed calmed me down. But no without proper medication or time your going to be stuck with that attitude. On another note I did drop out of school for the reasons you explain I did not even complete year 7 but when I was 18 I went to Uni(American version of community college) and got my year 12 pass(American version of GED I believe) I still found it hard to concentrate because I found it boring but in a place were you are treated as an adult and not a child I found it easier to pay attention. For the record I am still a lazy son of a bitch if I don't want to do it I wont

8. stress? hmm, yeah could definitely be contributing to the problem, but i can't say that's its just stress, i lived with my brother and sister growing up and we went through some hard times, my brother never had problems academically but my sister did, except she just didn't show up to school she fit under 'odd' which is even here too
    Stress Response in ADHD Predominantly Inattentive and ADHD Combined Type | Primarily Inattentive ADD
    ADHD - When Hormones Don't "Rage"

ok found a source
    NEL, Salivary cortisol in ADHD

definitely makes sense

Treatment for ADHD

i've been taking chromium, and selenium in the form of brazil nuts and that could of also contributed to me getting better, also been eating less junk

i know i have some problems with blood sugar, whenever i drink anything sweet i end up having to piss about 9 times in an hour, roughly every 7 minutes i've calculated for an hour which i've told people about and got confused responses

9. I guess I will have to have a hard look into it sorry if I gave out the wrong message I have not been treated or researched it in 7 years

10. I wasn't trying to call you out or anything. I am sorry if it came across that way.

:smoke:

11. #13 Apu, Oct 8, 2011
    Na mate I understood. It can be a very hard to deal with disorder I don't want him thinking I might be right lol.

But in my own opinion weed is very good if your the impulsive type. I was a terror as a kid and did not know why do things like break my best friends arm because I pushed him from a tower I had no reason, My mother tried everything up to decently savage beatings it just did not help because I was not thinking before I acted I had no time to think of consequences. Weed made me a calm guy

12. I think the statistics now are that about 50% outgrow it. Measured by school performance and such. I did not. Still have ADHD-I. Weed helps me for some stuff such as impulse control (By the way, I was diagnosed ADHD-I, but I was only like 2 or 3 points from the threshold to be diagnosed ADHD-combined type). Weed does NOT help me focus at all, at least not so far. I have been experimenting with trying to train myself to function under the influence. I smoke to manage my stress and help me sleep at night. Helps a lot with those. I have noticed when I take one bong hit, I only experience a light buzz but it does seem to calm me down just enough to pay attention- but to say I am focused would be a little generous. Any more than that and I lose the ability to concentrate.

I watched a video about this yesterday, I will see if I can find it.

Damn! Its 4:00am here!!! I need to get some sleep!!

13. #15 Apu, Oct 8, 2011
    I don't understand the stress an panic attacks you guys get. Maybe I was misdiagnosed as a child or have underlying conditions. Until I spent 2 years without human contact(aka now) I never had a panic attack I was the complete opposite. A literal psychopath if I could do something to benefit me without getting caught I would do it no matter the cost. To be honest what changed me to someone who would not hurt others for my own gain was a mushroom trip, It made me feel that it was not worth the risk to be like that here you never know what punishment awaits

14. mushrooms = depersonalization = insight into ones own life
    for a lot of people mushrooms and other tryptamines allow you to see yourself how others see you. Can be very frightening but very informative.

15. What's odd is I still don't care about anyone I just gained morals because I believe it will give me a better shot in the afterlife. If you could prove to me my actions here had no effect when I died I would reform to my old self.

16. Sounds like you need a puppy or something

17. I am not making the connection here. Why do you think you were misdiagnosed? Were you diagnosed with panic disorder? Not everyone with ADHD has panic attacks. It is a common comorbid condition but not part of the ADHD criteria. Seperate but common issue. I am not sure if psychopaths can experience panic attacks or not. Interesting idea. Psychopaths do not experience emotion in the same way that others do. Although your comments about changing your ways to have a better shot at the afterlife leads me to question that you are truly a psychopath. Psychopaths typically do not fear consequences. Then again I switched my major in college, never finished my Psychology degree. Take my comments with a grain of NaCl.

18. Sativas help but only in small does not smoking joints of it all day more like a small one hitter throughout the day does best. Now I'm not pronounced with anything you have (don't believe in doctors) but too much of a strong sativa and I find those symptoms you mention to increase.

Indicas I find won't really help just make ya eat, relax, and helps with sleep.

Hope that helps.