Addressing the Legalization of Marijuana, new response from whitehouse petitions

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by dolphingunblade, Jan 9, 2013.

1. https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/response/addressing-legalization-marijuana

Official Office of National Drug Control Policy Response toRemove marijuana from the federal Controlled Substance Act and allow the states to decide how they want to regulate it. and 2 other petitions
    Addressing the Legalization of Marijuana

By Gil Kerlikowske
    Thank you for participating in We the People and speaking out on the legalization of marijuana. Coming out of the recent election, it is clear that we're in the midst of a serious national conversation about marijuana.

At President Obama's request, the Justice Department is reviewing the legalization initiatives passed in Colorado and Washington, given differences between state and federal law. In the meantime, please see a recent interview with Barbara Walters in which President Obama addressed the legalization of marijuana.

Barbara Walters:

Do you think that marijuana should be legalized?

President Obama:

Well, I wouldn't go that far. But what I think is that, at this point, Washington and Colorado, you've seen the voters speak on this issue. And as it is, the federal government has a lot to do when it comes to criminal prosecutions. It does not make sense from a prioritization point of view for us to focus on recreational drug users in a state that has already said that under state law that's legal.
    …this is a tough problem because Congress has not yet changed the law. I head up the executive branch; we're supposed to be carrying out laws. And so what we're going to need to have is a conversation about how do you reconcile a federal law that still says marijuana is a federal offense and state laws that say that it's legal.
    When you're talking about drug kingpins, folks involved with violence, people are who are peddling hard drugs to our kids in our neighborhoods that are devastated, there is no doubt that we need to go after those folks hard… it makes sense for us to look at how we can make sure that our kids are discouraged from using drugs and engaging in substance abuse generally. There is more work we can do on the public health side and the treatment side.

Gil Kerlikowske is Director of the Office of National Drug Control Policy

The above response applies to the following 3 petitions
    Support a law protecting states' rights to legalize, regulate and tax marijuana like alcohol.
    46,185 Signatures

Remove marijuana from the federal Controlled Substance Act and allow the states to decide how they want to regulate it.
    83,684 Signatures

Federally Legalize Marijuana
    44,049 Signatures

2. So it's a new response of nothing new? Shiiiiiiiiiit

3. From what I gathered, it seems Obama is definitely looking into the topic

Seems promising

4. I was looking forward to reading my email...until I opened up my email and read it. Waste of time, glad I didn't check while I was driving. This tells us nothing we don't already know. Reschedule that shit.

Glad you posted this

5. This reminds me of the movie "Christmas Story" where Ralphie waits and waits for his Little Orphan Annie secret decoder ring and excitedly writes the secret message down:
    "Be Sure to Drink Your Ovaltine."
    "Ovaltine? A damn commercial?!"

"Be sure to watch the Barbara Walters Special, and tune into "The View" while Obama has a serious talk on immigration reform."

Unreal.

6. As much as I believe this was a bullshit response, Obama is certainly actively dealing with this issue more than he ever has before - not just because of these petitions but because of the rapidly increasing legalization movement. A number of states have medical programs, and for the first time in history we have not one but two states that have legalized it outright. He might have glossed over it in that recent interview, but you can be sure that the whitehouse is at least going over this in some way. Something's got to happen within this presidency, certainly within the next decade I'd imagine.

7. And another bullet dodged by obama.

8. Obama has stated the need for debate on drug policy,,now he wants conversations,,we are still waiting on the debates.

So we,the people will continue legalizing state by state. Rhode Island has a bill going before their legislature now.

9. DEA Head: "We need someone who appears to be pro-pot while we crack heads.
    Who could we call on...who could we call on?"
    DEA Youngin': "How about that police chief from Seatlle? But will he go for it?
    DEA Head: "Everyone has their price."

10. Obama dodges questions better than bush dodges shoes.

11. so with this responce it brings the count up to 370,681 combined sigs to the topic.

12. The problem with internet petitions is that anyone on the fucking planet can sign it. The signature from someone from Mongolia means next to nothing.

13. No, the real problem is that all politicians are lying snakes. Say one thing and mean something completely different. The feds will definitely still fuck with people over it. Mark my words. If it's not this way, then it's others like giving out DUI's over weed with incredibly stringent guidelines for what is "under the influence". It's bullshit. Hell look at the recent 10 year conviction of that guy in Cali. Legal Marijuana Provider Gets 10 Years, Lecture From Judge | Marijuana and Cannabis News | Toke of the Town

14. I totally agree about politicians being lying fucking snakes.

15. That is fucked up. That judge is taking 10 years from that man's life because he's brainwashed himself into thinking he's the REAL drug problem, when the FUCKING JUSTICE SYSTEM CREATES THE DRUG PROBLEM.

A drug becomes a hot commodity on the black market when it's illegal. I'm extremely surprised this idiotic official doesn't understand that. How can that judge even call himself a man of the law if the man is in full compliance of state law?

I almost wish death upon this man, but it''d be too much for this fucking pathetic excuse of a human being. Somehow I hope his kind gets out of office. When MMJ is legal throughout the US, i pray this judge has sleepless nights for the rest of his life on all of his "legal drug kingpin operations".

BULLSHIT.

16. Please please please. It's called the Injustice System. Get it right everyone.

17. meh. we just need to force his hand.
    if enough states legalize it, he won't have a choice.
    why rely on the feds or the prez to do it for us?

make it so they cannot ignore it.
    make it so even a spineless politician
    in his last term, *sigh* can get behind it.

anyways, you know these guys ↓↓↓ wouldn't even entertain a conversation. so, better than nothing. as usual.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    "Legalize It? Hawhawhaw, I don't even drink coffee!"

18. Is your fucking head stuck in the past? Please pull it out of your ass and concentrate on the NOW.

19. now, now, now, now, now, now!

20. LOL.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] ADHD.Some people wish it was contagious. :D