Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Adding Scent/Taste to already cured bud

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by anikan25, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Alright so I've searched for someone who has tried this, and obviously came across tons of information about ways to effect the taste/smell of pot just before harvest or while curing, but nothing quite the same as what I am currently trying...

To keep this brief (ish), I have a mason jar that I poured some vanilla extract into, then used some tape and cheese cloth to suspend my cured pot above the vanilla extract. I sealed the jar and put it in my usual storage place. I plan on leaving it there for a week before opening the jar and smoking some of the pot to see if any of the flavor has transferred over. To avoid imagining the taste, I've also kept some of the same stash in a clean jar to act as a control, and will be getting a friend to taste some from both jars without telling him what I added to the second jar.

Has anyone tried this method before? I feel confident something like this could work, although vanilla extract may not be the best thing to try with. Also I'm not sure on what a good time frame would be, a week was just a random duration I decided it may be overkill or not even close to enough time. If this doesn't work I will try for a month (I have enough extra laying around that I won't miss it). If it does work, I'll reduce the time to see how long is really necessary.

Also just before anybody starts with "pot tastes great on its own, blah blah blah"... I completely agree, but when I order pizza, I don't get the same toppings every time. Variety is a great thing.

2. Dont tell your friend you added anything to the bud. See if he can figure it out for himself. Let him toke the normal bud first and then after that give him the vanilla bud and after he hits a pipe or whatever ask him "hows it taste"

3. Tell your friend they are two different strains then let him taste them

Sent from my iPod touch using Grasscity Forum

4. I cant say I've tried something like that, but one drop of peppermint oil on the bud, right before you start rolling up a fattie, hits the spot

I'm trying to avoid actually burning the added stuff, I'm sure some things are fine but I imagine vanilla extract probably has a whole bunch of preservatives and crap that I'd rather not burn and inhale. If this works well I am going to have a field day with different flavor combinations, I reallllly hope it makes a noticeable change in the flavor.

6. #6 bigcat13, Mar 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2014
    Yeah I highly recommend this or any other essential oil, I never know when I want it and will go a drop just whenever I'm in the mood for it, but a lot of my friends will store theirs with various essential oils and that works really well

Attached Files:

7. Thanks for the tip, I may have to pick some of that up after I'm done experimenting with the vanilla.

8. #8 gonemadwithmary, Mar 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2014
    You should try it with a fart first. Then move on to the vanilla. Just make sure you put the bud in there first so you don't have to risk letting any of it out.

EDIT: In all seriousness though, is it shitty weed or..? Can't imagine why you would want to distract away from the taste/smell..

Its not total crap, but it definitely isn't anything special. I just want to experiment and have access to enough that I don't care if I screw it up.

I don't get the whole "why would you want to distract away from the taste/smell" question. It just seems so close minded to me. When was the last time you went to a restaurant and the menu just said "steak", no side dishes, no seasoning, no drink, just steak. Or the last time you needed to paint a room and you thought, well I like blue, so lets go blue walls, blue floor, blue furniture, blue lights... I guess my point is combining things often makes something much better than one thing on its own, not always, but you don't really know until you try. Not to mention there are so many different strains of pot that its ridiculous to say that every one tastes perfect and wouldn't benefit from some sort of additive. That's like saying every person is beautiful in their own way, sure I guess, but we all know that some women look a lot better with make-up on, and there are a lot of guys out there that better find a high paying job or at least hit the gym.

10. Alright so just an update in case anybody is wondering:

I ended up leaving the jar sealed for a few days longer than planned. I've been really busy lately and just figured more time would mean better chances of an actual result.

I finally opened the jar this morning, and ran into a problem I'm really surprised I didn't anticipate. All the extract evaporated and the pot is super damp now. This stuff was really dry at when I started this and now its like I just cut it off a plant. I'm going to let it dry out slowly until I try smoking any. I'm fairly concerned about mold at this point but I'll let it dry out for a while and hopefully I won't find any mold on it later.

Mold concerns aside, I think there is a good chance this method actually worked. I can easily smell the vanilla in any piece I take out of the jar so hopefully that isn't completely lost as it dries out. Only time will tell I guess. 

11. Well it doesn't seem like many people were curious about this, but just for the sake of closure, it somewhat worked.

After drying out the buds they retained the vanilla smell and when smoked I could get a slight hint of vanilla but not that significant.

I got my friend to do a comparison test and I didn't tell him that taste was the difference he was supposed to compare, I just said try this and compare it to this. He said they tasted a little different so I then told him that they were actually from the same source and I just added some flavor to some and asked him to guess what I added. He wasn't able to pin point the flavor, just that it was a little sweeter.

12. Interesting. I wonder if other things like peppermint would work.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

13. Better than vanilla I meant to add

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

14. I'm not sure anyone disagrees with Variety is good. The confusion/difference in opinion most people have is that variety is easy to obtain since there are tens of thousands of different strains. Adding a liquid to the curing jar will cause problems, as you found out. Glad it seems to have worked out for you but your analogy doesn't work. I'd be willing to bet you can find strains with anywhere from a very light to an overwhelming vanilla scent/taste, assuming it was grown/dried/cured correctly. Then the weed would vary in taste as well as effect.

15. I remember I got 2 gs for free from my dealer cuz he some how droped the weed in his Chinese food which had a shit ton of terrikiey (idk I can't spell it) and he fell asleep so it soaked into the weed and I got it for free because of what happened. The weed was pretty harsh but it tasted like pure terrikiey and it smelled like half weed and half terrikiey. But after about a week the taste faded for the most part but that made me wonder if u could do that with other sauces but iv never tried that because I'm not wasting weed :p

I Smoke weed 4/20-7 😎

16. ive done the same method except with ripe orange and lemon peels for a week and had a smell-less product come out smelling and tasting mid citrus like.

17. You should look into tasty puffs

[​IMG]

18. those work just as well some arnt the best but a few have tasted pretty good.

19. Jungle Juice and Chronic Hypnotic are the best IMO (Ive tried almost every if not every flavor)

20. Hahaha I've used tasty puff for joints! Shit was good. I've added extracts to certain undesirable extracts I've made and when I used peppermint the oil tasted like thin mint girl scout cookies. Yum. And it wasn't harsh. Extracted out the turpenes from the extract first before adding of course.

knives heated dull red
    release sweet smoky nectar
    I am lifted high