Addiction to marijuana?!?

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by outdoorgrowman, Oct 14, 2012.

1. [quote name='"Danbridge"']

woe dude, chill. Here take a hit of this. Relax.

I was NOT promoting any 12 step lifestyle as if that was the answer. What I was saying, Is there are some people that recognise thier addiction to marijuana. Most people think marijuana addiction is ludicris. I have admitted my addiction of marijuana to a herion addict, and he wanted to kick my ass because he says that marijuana is not addictive and I am a pussy. So I have come to understand that most people, like yourself, have a totally closed mind when it comes to admitting addiction to marijuana. But there are some people that have an open mind. Not a lot, but we are out there.[/quote]

You sir, have completely missed my point. Did I say a single thing about marijuana addiction being real or fake in my post? No, I did not. I didn't comment on it one way or another or even state my opinion about it.

My entire reply to your post was about how 12 Step programs don't work. The reason behind my post was you mentioning marijuana anonymous. If marijuana addiction is "ludacris" as you so eloquently put it, then marijuana anonymous is an even stinkier piece of bullshit than the rest of the 12 Step programs (except maybe for CODA, that one is really amazingly silly).

Also, I am a girl, and it says so in capital letters, so maybe you just aren't very observant..

2. Definite physical addition if enough is consumed on a daily basis, mental is more common. However, a lot of people think that oh its mental because the urge to smoke is generated in their mind. But some of that is physical dependence on it. If you can't relax or get anxious without it(and only without it), that is physical dependence. I know when I stopped recently, so my lungs can heal up from cigarettes and cannabis. My body's regulation of temperature was all fucked up.

3. #23 Ironic, Oct 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2012
    [quote name='"GirlyS"']

You don't have to surrender to God, you just have to have some sort of faith in something.

I believe the exact words are " a God of your understanding".

Some people find it very therapeutic to pray, because they feel like they're doing something and that helps them. Don't discount something because YOU don't believe in it.[/quote]

GirlyS, have you ever read the Big Book or the Blue Book? If you have, I'd love to debate their "finer points" but it doesn't really sound like you have really read the literature. In that you are relatively fortunate, because I will never get back all that lost time and agonizing over ridiculous bullshit.

The "god of your understanding" not needing to be God sounds really cute and all in the first couple steps. I know in meetings old timers will tell you "If you don't believe in God, make your higher power a doorknob," but that completely falls apart when step six rolls around and God is supposed to remove your defects of character. How does an inanimate object do that? Have you read "We Agnostics"? It's pretty insulting.

I'm not shit talking God nor prayer and I also try my best not to shit talk things I know nothing about. I am shit talking the charlatan Bill Wilson and his "spiritual, not religious" cult. I know they say that in meetings, but the US Court of Appeals disagrees, declaring AA a religious organization (Inouye v Kemna).

On top of it being a religion, it doesn't work. Very few real studies (controlled longitudinal) have been done looking at the effectiveness of AA because of the success the organization has had blocking these studies. However, a few have been done. George Vaillant of AA's Board of Trustees (and of Harvard Medical School) did one a long time ago that showed that AA's success rate was actually lower than the spontaneous remission rate (which is 5%). Dr. Jeffrey Brandsma also did a good study, the details of which I can't remember offhand but if anyone is seriously interested, I will come back and add citations to this post.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist and I don't do this for fun. Lives are at stake here. Parading 12 Step programs around as legitimate addiction medicine kills people. I'm not necessarily saying its AA's fault that certain people drink and drug themselves to death, but I believe that addicted people deserve help if they so desire from educated professionals using proven treatments. And if addiction is really a "disease," why do they deserve any less?

Once again, my post is not about knocking prayer or God or the legitimacy of marijuana addiction or any addiction. It is about the illegitimacy of 12 Step programs and that is all.

4. My friend's mom is addicted to pot. Yes, she lacks self-control, but you measure self-control on a personal basis. She's also borderline, schizophrenic, and bi-polar. For me to judge her on the same level that somebody would judge me, would be like comparing a toddler to a 12 year old. I have not been a single day in her house when she was not taking g-bong hits, coughing up a lung, or repeatedly asking my friend for more weed. If she has $100 for the entire month, she will spend $50 on pot. She has quite possibly the most disgusting lifestyle of anybody I know, and it's sad as she is a deeply broken individual.

5. 12 steps did absolutely nothing for me.. Personally I had to just stop my self and do it my own way, all about the will power

6. #26 Ironic, Oct 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2012
    [quote name='"Thai"']12 steps did absolutely nothing for me.. Personally I had to just stop my self and do it my own way, all about the will power[/quote]

This guy knows what's up.

[quote name='"Beer Man"']My friend's mom is addicted to pot. Yes, she lacks self-control, but you measure self-control on a personal basis. She's also borderline, schizophrenic, and bi-polar. For me to judge her on the same level that somebody would judge me, would be like comparing a toddler to a 12 year old. I have not been a single day in her house when she was not taking g-bong hits, coughing up a lung, or repeatedly asking my friend for more weed. If she has $100 for the entire month, she will spend $50 on pot. She has quite possibly the most disgusting lifestyle of anybody I know, and it's sad as she is a deeply broken individual.[/quote]

Any reason or excuse to act this way stops the day you find out you are pregnant and lasts until the day the product of that pregnancy turns 18.

7. You can be be addicted to anything.
    Have you seen someone who is really into WoW?

8. habit =/= addiction

get that through your heads!

9. [quote name='"cball"']habit =/= addiction

get that through your heads![/quote]

So, you believe addiction only happens on the physical level?

10. Merck Manual - Marijuana (Cannabis) (excerpt - 2008)
    Marijuana (Cannabis): Drug Use and Dependence: Merck Manual Professional

"Marijuana is a euphoriant that can cause sedation or dysphoria in some users. Overdose does not occur. Psychologic dependence can develop with chronic use, but very little physical dependence is clinically apparent. Withdrawal is uncomfortable but requires only supportive treatment."

11. I think you're just addicted to getting high and smoking weed is your prefered method. Anything enjoyable is tough to give up.

12. fixed that for ya....

habitual =/= addicted ;)

13. its not chemically addictive. but you can grow psicologicaly addicted. especially if you have a addictive or obsesive personality

14. Thanks cball :)

15. I do not stigmatize mental disorders. Fortunately, she checked herself into a mental institute just three days ago.

16. Addictive in the sense of badddd withdrawals? No

Addictive in the sense that it's some damn good shit and there's nothing wrong with smoking it..? Guilty :p

17. I agree. But you have not atteneded enough 12 step meetings (religion) to know that doorknobs are a tempoary higher power. That can change as one works the steps.

True, the 12 steps do not set the world a fire with spiritualaity. But it does save lives. I lived with skid row bums that are today millionaires because of the 12 step lifestyle (NOT AA!). One of the co-founders of Narcotics anonymous became a biophiliac (someone that is in love with life). The 12 steps DO have an effect. You wake up the dead spirit inside you. You get in touch with it understand it. It does not work with everyone. but it does work. It's simple, not easy. The fellowship of most 12 step programs are basically egoists that try to get everyone to like them by having all the answers. The 12 step process is PERSONAL. I have a hard time admitting to other people my wrongdoings.

the 12 steps are NOT legitimare addiction medicine. It is there for those that want it. Yes, many 12 steppers see psycologists, therapists, neroligists and psychyitirists.

Bottom line: 12 steps work for those that understand it will work in thier lives (for the better). If I ever see a public advertisment about the 12 step lifestyle, I will have a fit as i know that is pure bullshit. 12 steps are not a legitimate cure all. They are an option.

18. That's some real talk though, dude.

Anyway, yeah man you can become habitually addicted to anything. I smoke now for the flavor and because it just feels weird not to rip the bong. I'd say I've definitely made a habit of it, but it certainly isn't a dangerous addiction. Someone above mentioned caffeine. A lot of people drink coffee everyday to wake up and have energy throughout. It's the same kinda thing with nugs imo. Sometimes I feel like I don't want to drink coffee everyday so I don't. You can do the same thing with weed. No big deal.

19. I'd say I'm addicted.
    Started off using it with a friend on weekends but this year i've begun using it on my own and ever since the start of summer I just smoke and stay home all day cause I impulsively use it but don't care for it so its probably an addiction. Im dealing with a lot of stuff currently so the weed helps me with some stress and shit but its bad for me. Meh I wish I enjoyed smoking as much as I used to

20. he was probably angry because you dont have the same kind of withdrawl, and you cant die from marijuana withdrawl.