Activated Carbon Filter

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by SnowViper, Mar 3, 2008.

1. I know there is different sizes of activated carbon and I wanted to be set straight on what is to be used for taking the smell out of the air? I want to build a carbon scrubber but need to know what kind and possibly places where to get the proper stuff. Is the stuff you can get at pet store for aquariums any good for air filtration? A good place to buy in some sort of bulk would be of interest as well.

2. you want small pelleted virgin coco carbon. But, for the cost of building one, you could probably buy a nice OdorSok (check eBay)

3. Il look into those right now. Thing is I dont really like ordering stuff on internet especially ebay. Also how long do those filters effectively filter odors for? Probably depends on how many plants i guess. I do like the idea of having more carbon on hand for when it starts to go.

4. The ones ive been looking at usually say 10-12 months before a refill is needed..

Search DIY Activated Carbon filter in google, youll get your info

5. I have been looking at some of those DIY carbon filters I just dont know of a good place to get the carbon from (granular/pellets or the cloth type) I hate spending more then i need to so want to know what kind of places will be more specialized in that area. Im in canada mind you

6. When it starts to smell, you pitch the OdorSok in the dryer and tumble for about 20-30 minutes and you're ready to go again.

7. Can you go overboard on a filter? kinda figure if it has higher CFM's it should last longer? im only going to have like 100cfm i think smalles on is rated for 190 and next step up for $10 is 280 cfm.

8. hey i just wanted to put my .02$ in. i have talked to alot of people about building these things.... doing it yourself you loose efficiency by ALOT.. when you buy a carbon filter they have scientists that test and test results for maximum efficiency. when building one you will lose alot of efficiency..i mean you will probably have less than 50% for sure.. and thats if you build it very very well.. also working with carbon is very very dangerous. it can be a carcinergene. if you inhale that shit it can have very very bad side effects in the long run..
    my advice is to own up and just spend the money on the already made ones... they work wonders!!!!!!!!! im serious they will totaly eliminate the odor.

one for 160cfm only runs about $130... totally worth it and it last 12-18 months..

9. I'm with New Guy on this and beat my keyboard to death trying to show new peeps and old veterans that your wasting money on anything else but a carbon scrubber. I have been there done that, spending more money on odor control then lights becuz I always went the cheap route and they didn't hold up to expectations.

No more!

Anyway I have found a great source for carbon scrubbers. See link below.

http://www.plantlightinghydroponics.com/carbonaire-filters-c-348_349.html

I bot the 6 inch $119 carbon scrubber becuz it was around what most cost for that type setup, even on Ebay. When they sent the shipping info I noticed it weighed 58lb.s... OMG!

When it arrived it was the size of a small barrel, again OMG! The UPS guy used a hand cart to wheel it in, lol. It was too big for my OP, so I ordered the 4inch carbon scrubber.

Hands down they beat any price out there for the size that you get.

10. I'm running an order sok right now, so i'll definatly let you all know how it goes.
    [​IMG]
    so far its completely eliminated the early flower smell (3 days, 7 medium plants) before I could smell something at my vent exit, now its just air (and i move a LOT of air 24x7)

now, this of course means nothing, because they are going to get 100 times skunkier as the days go on, but so far so good.

I've tryed most "cheap" or DIY method short of a carbon scrubber like Dewave linked (ONA, 0zone, Home made Carbon filter), if this fails, im gettin me a bigass barrel scrubber and calling it a day.

11. deff interested how that does for you :smoking:

12. Same here, I dont think they can be as efficient as the bigger canister ones but they do have many advantages. for one you dont need as big a fan because theres only a few pounds of carbon, they are also very lightweight from what I hear.

13. there's nothing holding that odor sok up except the tape on the end, it is VERY light, and seems "too good to be true" IMO. but hey, i'll give it a shot.

I've already shown that for medium sized grows with a lot of air movement

ONA doesn work
    Ozone doesnt work
    Home made carbon filters dont work
    (and any combination of the three doesnt work)

will this be added to the list?

14. I have stopped wasting money on that stuff.... I bot this one, I saw 6 inch opening in the description and was priced at $119.00, which is about the going price for a good 6 inch carbon scrubber, I'll give them a try. I got more then I bargained for.

I saw the UPS guy bring it up with a handcart, lol

[​IMG]

40 pounds of carbon, total wieght 58 pounds

[​IMG]

6 inch outlet with a 3 inch carbon bed

[​IMG]

Its about the size of a keg, rofl. Yeah over kill, it's the first time in a long time that I've spent my money and recieved alot more then I bargained for. I was laughing the whole time.

Anyway I plan on buying their 4 inch 16 pound carbon scrubber it should be more then enuff for my 5 x 10 room, lol. And it only costs $89.00 and last approx 18 months. How much did that sock thingy costs?:p;)

15. haha, thats badass!

58lbs tho.. sheesh, gona have to build a stand for something like that, I'm sure thats exactly hwat i need, i cant belive this odor sock will work, its like 1/2 inch thick, MAYBE..

it was about 80 bucks, and wieghs like 2 lbs.. so for me it was very economical, shipping someothing like what you got to my house would cost like $200 for shipping alone

16. do you have to build a stand for somthing like that? could you not just have it sit on the ground and run your ducting from it?

Also: Dewave, how much was total for shipping?

17. c02 is heavier than 02 + heat rises.

for these two facts alone you want to try and get your filter up as high as possible (and as far away from your intake so that you get a good air flow patern with no "dead zones") after all, the only reason your venting is to get more c02 in, and control heat build up.

18. im doing 9 plants.
    4x4x7
    600 hps/mh conversion.
    would a 4 inch 200cfm be good enough..or that overkill?

19. Shipping was $25 for that bad ass from the midwest to me,,, UPS ground....

The smaller 16lb unit would be perfect for ya, Mord

Sweet cheeba, I use a 4 inch for (2) 600 watts and 5 x 10 room, so it'll work,, but other factors need to be considered, ambient temps, room configuration etc

20. the ONLY shipping option i have is 2day, so yeah.. 58lbs would be super expensive, 16lbs still wont be cheap, but if it does the trick (and this odor sok doesnt) i'm all for it.