Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Accidental Discovery?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by paultheghost, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Since I was in eighth grade (I was about 13), I've had trouble sleeping. I can't fall asleep, and once I'm asleep, I wake up often during the night and my sleep quality is generally crappy.

I had tried sleeping pills, but they made me really groggy and practically incapacitated me, which I didn't like.

I just recently started smoking pot about 4-5 months ago. I started out with a little bit here and there, but I'm now up to once a day or more. But I have gotten up to at least once a day, and I smoke it before I go to bed.

I noticed that my sleep quality and hours asleep GREATLY increased when I smoked before I went to bed. I have been waking up happier and more energetic than I've ever been in my entire life because of this.

I was never diagnosed with a sleeping disorder, but I had seen a psychiatrist (as my parents believed it to be a psychological issue), and he's the one that prescribed the meds to me. Is it possible that I have some sort of insomnia and pot is the perfect drug to make me better and I merely discovered it on accident?

I'm making an appointment with my doctor ASAP to discuss this, but I wanted to see if there was anyone else that suffers from sleep issues that uses pot to help them sleep.

tl;dr: - I discovered that pot helps me with insomnia, is there anyone else that has insomnia that smokes to help them sleep?

2. i'm bipolar and add been smoking for years for theses and other reasons but i go almost weeks without sleep sometimes unless i'm smoking ive hear ther is an insomnia study well good luck to ya i'm out and been up for a few days now lol

3. #3 terrormachine, Jan 29, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2009
    Tons of people smoke to help with insomnia, myself included. I'm pretty sure insomnia is a valid excuse to get a MMJ card in Cali (but what isn't a valid reason there, lol.) Heavy indicas generally are the best for this, though there are plenty of hybrids that would work just as well.

4. Sativas are best for insomnia? Sativa's supposed to jack you up, not mellow you out, right?

5. What meds were you prescribed by your doc? Was this when you were a minor or 18+?

6. Correct.

Apparently I'm too stoned. All this THC in my brain! :smoking:

7. I can't recall what the name was, but I'm pretty sure it was just some generic scrip stuff. I don't have the bottle any more. The scrip was written for me when I was 14, I think.

8. #8 abilities, Feb 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2009
    ive had DSPS since middle school. ive found pot helps it. not in the sense that i just wont be able to stay up, like what can happen to me when im fucked up off other shit, but it just makes me calmer and ease into sleep easier, and makes the disorder a little easier to control.

and thats kind of surprising to me that you got sleep meds at such an early age. when i actually talked to a doctor and was officially diagnosed with dsps (i had researched the disorder like, two or three years prior, surprisingly, and thought it fit me perfect, but didnt speak up) when i was 17, they wouldnt give me medication and made me take melatonin which is bullshit and sucks dick and doesnt do shit and made me buy a fucking blue light that i never use cause it also sucks shit. (i hate my doctors and the dickarounds involved with getting medication). i just take clonazepan now that i got a script for it, toke up and usually pass out pretty easily..

9. weed cured my insomnia, I I always had trouble getting to sleep, but it got really bad when I was 13, 3 years of misery later I was introduced to the herb and my sleep immediately improved. I also started smoking before my bipolar disorder got to develope, and now it only comes on mildly when I go too long without a hit. Cannibis is an amazing plant

10. Yeah, I tried Melatonin before I started smoking because my friend takes it because she has insomnia (and doesn't smoke because of something with her lungs). That shit didn't do anything to me. I talked to my doctor with my mom and he perscribed a low dosage, low strength, generic sleeping pill. That made me to groggy when I was awake, so I stopped taking it a week after I started.

Actually, I'm sorry, it was a psychiatrist that perscribed me the meds, not my doctor. Sorry about that misinformation, I had just remembered (it was so long ago for me). I had a psychologist and he recommended one session with this psychiatrist and he just listened to what was wrong with me and handed me a scrip. It was kinda bullshit, but I took it for what it was.

Oh well, I'm better now with weed and should hopefully be getting a card soon.

11. I love when you get so stoned you fall asleep without even realizing it.. one minute you're watching Terminator 2 the next your eye lids plop open and its day time and you're just like WTF?