About to start my first grow. Just a few questions for those w. experience

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by walkingOnAir, May 3, 2012.

1. #1 walkingOnAir, May 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2012
    so im going to be growing in my closet which is approximate 2ft deep x 6ft wide and 6 feet high (tiny but its all i got i figured a 400 or 600 watt hps sodium w. a mh converter bulb would be enough for lighting, correct me if im wrong)

Heres my setup:
    Im going to be using 3 White Widow Feminized Seeds and 1 Haze seed also feminized

Fertilizer: Hesi products

i plan to keep only the strong ones and clone them . my ideal grow would be to have 2 strong mothers (started in June), by august cut some clones and root them and by the middle of september have 2 mothers that have been vegging for 3 months, and 5-10 clones (depending on how many i can fit) vegging for about a month before i induce flowering under the hps. Under these conditions (space, lighting, and number of plants assuming everything else is relatively good (nutes, soil, airflow etc.) how much could i possibly yield at the best if im lucky and do very well, or if i dont do so good and its a mediocore yield?

The reason i ask is because as i get closer and closer to planting day, ive been looking at prices of all the equipment and i can definitly see it being in the upper hundreds approximately $800 for everything. Would i be looking at a reasonable yield (at least a pound) because im definitly trying to make my money back. Ive done shit tons of research, including reading Jorge's book in its entirety twice) and feel like im ready to do this to perfection. Im concerned mostly about the room size not being big enough to produce as much as I want. Please enlighten me with any wisdom you may have about this. thank you

-John

2. I assume by "making your money back" you're referring to the savings you will reap by growing your own...if not, disregard what I have to say! :D

Prevailing wisdom says 1 gram per watt is a strong effort. Consider that your up front costs are incurred one time, so your first harvest can indeed be fairly expensive, but they will get cheaper and cheaper over time. Of course there will be consumables with each run, but the bulk of your expenses the first time out won't have to be repeated. Will you get maximum results the first time, probably not, but you'll never reach the point of massive harvests if you don't start somewhere!

The other option is to continue paying retail.

Good luck!

3. You are not going to get a pound on your first attempt in that small of a space. If you get half that on your first run it would be an overwhelming success. What are you going to run for ventilation in there? Closets are notoriously hard to keep cool with HID lighting....you will need a cool tube as a solid 6" vortex fan and carbon filter if you go with the 400 or 600 w lamps

4. I'm going to use a plastic door that I saw used on another thread and have the exhaust and fan in there as well as n in the room and yes the lamp wil be kept cool I'm getting a good refector that will do that as well.

Is it probable to put 2 600watts to improve the size of the harvest or is it too small of a space?

5. please save your self some time and frustration. do NOT set must achieve goals for yield on your first go round. It usually takes several runs of a decent strain to dial your shit in enough to even begin to know what your end haul will be.

As far as the reading up part, sounds like you should do some more especially in the ventilation area. Running even one 400 watt hps in that space without a decent can fan for ventilation is nuts. You also picked a bad time of year to start a closet grow unless you live in the southern hemisphere or plan to use a/c.

If you do some digging on here you'll see most of the dollar conscious closet growers shut down over the warmer spring and summer months. Simply easier then battling high temps.

6. Agree with the above poster. Look at it as a hobby and learning experience foremost, not a money making/saving venture.