About to start cloning..

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by geopharms, Nov 14, 2016.

1. So I'm about to clone x6 from the 4 plants I have. I have quite a few questions and need a wee bit of help pretty please :D I've watched a few videos and read a few pages, but i still have questions.

1) Can I use the same containers I used for my seedlings? 18oz party cups
    2) Can I put the clone directly into soil without using cloner cubes? Was just going to use aloe vera and then plant them directly into soil.
    3) How long before I can start giving nutrients?
    4) About temperatures - how high/low does it have to be for clones? I understand the humidity for clones has to be really high (>70%), but I'm not sure about the temperature.
    5) Do I really need one of those humidity domes?
    6) For how long do I keep the clones in a high humidity environment?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Hi @dreamergirl_77 ,

Hopefully I can answer your questions.........

1) Can I use the same containers I used for my seedlings? 18oz party cups
    Yes, smaller works better for me but you can use the bigger cups.

2) Can I put the clone directly into soil without using cloner cubes? Was just going to use aloe vera and then plant them directly into soil.

Yes, I soak my clones in aloe vera juice / tepid water for a couple of hours then moisten the soil with same solution.
    3) How long before I can start giving nutrients?

Wait until plants are well rooted before giving nutrients. I usually just transplant into an amended soil once I see roots.
    4) About temperatures - how high/low does it have to be for clones? I understand the humidity for clones has to be really high (>70%), but I'm not sure about the temperature.

I use a seedling heat mat that is temp controlled to 80`. Clones will root at cooler temps but it takes a lot longer IME.

5) Do I really need one of those humidity domes?

It's much easier to contain the humidity with a dome. I sue one until I see roots.

6) For how long do I keep the clones in a high humidity environment?

Until you see roots. I like to use clear party cups when rooting in soil. It's a lot easier for me to know when to remove the dome and ready the clones for transplant.

20161030_124718.jpg

HTH

• Like Like x 10
  3. Thank you so much for the detailed reply! I was going to get a 7" dome but I don't know how long to keep them in there before running out of room (canopy wise). I was going to try scrog with the clones, but I'd have to wait for transplanting before setting that up right? Not sure if scrog is for pros or not, but I'd like to give it a try since it seems to increase yields tremendously.

That pic you posted, how many days old (in cup) and is that one a clone?

• Like Like x 1
  4. They won't start growing upwards until they root. Once rooted, you can remove the dome.

That pic is roughly 2.5-3 weeks. This pic is 10 days when I first noticed roots.

[​IMG]

SCROG requires some planning and diligence but is certainly doable for a novice grower. When I get home to my computer, I'll find a couple of threads that should help you out.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 2
  5. When I see roots in clear cups I take a colored cup and double cup them to block light. I notice a difference. A couple plants got a green algae last time and roots weren't as thick against the sides till cupping.

• Like Like x 2
  6. You're awesome thanks!

7. I was wondering, will the clippings' cannopy + cup fit under a 7" dome? Or should I just use these cube thingies instead because the overall height will be shorter? Rockwool, peat cubes, etc? Idk.. lol

8. They're very hardy plants and yes, they will grow putting them straight into soil instead of going through all the cloning tray, etc. I use the cloner tray and humidity dome, etc., to do ours and always have. But these plants will root easily given the right conditions. If you've never done it before, it can be tricky...especially if you're not going to do it the normal way. It will take your clones 10-14 days to actually develop roots and start to grow once placed in the soil you're using. Once you take the cuttings and put them into the soil, I suggest investing in some Clonex solution since this helps speed the process up. But don't give them anything once you put them into the cups...awaiting them to root....NOTHING. You will not need ANY NUTES given to your plants until they've put on roots, outgrown the small cups you start them in, you transplant them up to something like 1 gal. containers, let them outgrow those and then get into larger container and give the plants time to use up the nutrients in the soil. You listed this under the "organic" thread. Does this mean you're using a soil that you have mixed from an organic recipe....or that you pulled a bag of "organic" soil off the shelf at a box store. If this is the case (box store soil), chances are you just bought a bag of stuff loaded down with chemicals. You get a better mix by going to a plant nursery and buying a bag of plain old good quality generic potting mix and then amending it to a ratio of about 60/40 soil/perlite. These plants require seriously good drainage achieved by a very very arid and light soil. The perlite makes this possible and most bagged soils, unless they are formulated grow soils, are not arid enough to grow these plants. Most new growers screw up by over watering their new plants. YOU NEVER EVER EVER water a plant until the container it's in feels dead dry. If it feels like it's dead dry but the plant isn't drooping, then it's not gotten to the "too dry" point yet. They do not like their roots sitting in moist soil all the time and allowing them to try out between watering episodes forces the roots of the plant to search out the entire container for food and water. Your plants could've used a repot a LONG time ago. When the plant itself becomes larger than the container it's in (wider and taller than), it's generally time for a new container. Keep the container and plant sizes relative to speed up the rooting in time going from one container to another. The more soil a plant has to root into, the longer the process takes. Keeping the plant size and pot size about the same, makes it go as fast as possible. Good luck. Cloning is something that's pretty hard to explain and much easier to learn on your own. I think everybody kind of works out their own method. But hope you don't have issues with it. TWW

9. should be able to fit with a cup, you can cut the clone stem a bit shorter, or push the clone further down into the cup. you can prepare the hole before inserting the cut with a poker/kebob skewer so its easier to get the stem in there, just lightly push the soil up against the stem once its in to get good contact.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Noooope. You don't even need to double cup them really. I just like to. Lol

• Like Like x 1
  11. What size dome do you use?

12. I ordered everything according to the feedback here, thanks!

Soooo...I also ordered another 'veging' tent that came in last week but it's too small (so I have to order another one. I'm just going to get the same size I have now (48x48x78). Was going to clone 6, but I'll be lucky to fit two plants in that other one lol

My question is when I get the other tent can I clone and then send the mothers directly into flower the following morning, or do I have to wait a bit (like a few days or a week) for them to de-stress? One of my plants has slow and weird growth at the top and if I add anything to fix it I'll have to wait longer to flush pre-cloning. I already added (to all of them) 3ml/1 liter of liquid seaweed (gave .5 liter only water post-seaweed). I'm sure that will help with stress and other possible issues occurring. It seemed to be growing fine and now it hasn't seemed to grow at all in the past week. Maybe I fucked up the FIM idk lol

Attached Files:

13. Rigt away if you wish cant fuck up FIM its a damn weed it will grow back in 99 % of cases

14. The top of it just looks all weird and deformed lol

15. I wouldn't use clear cups nextime, u do not want them pretty roots to get light. Trust me on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

16. Does anybody have any answers to this? I really, really need to put one of my plants into flower because it's not doing so well. Showing nute deficiencies, but I can't give nutes or the clones won't like it. Tent should be in mid to late next week (or the following d/t Thanksgiving)............

17. Pictures from recently.

Attached Files:

18. Not sure i understand your question, what do you mean you cant give the plant nutrients or the clones wont like it? In general you can flip the moms right after taking cuts, worst case they take a few more days to finish.
    As for pre clone flushing you mentioned, also not sure what you mean. You dont really want to flush when growing in soil
    Also, if your plant is not doing well i dont think sending it to flower is a good idea, you want to start flower when the plants a healthy.
    Hope this answers your questions.

• Like Like x 1
  19. #20 geopharms, Nov 21, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
    I read (forgot where) that if there are any nutrients in the mother when taking the clone, the clones will not root. I'm so confused. lol So I can add my neptunes hydro fish to the mothers then?

And thanks for the reply Scooby! You answered questions I forgot to ask <3 lol