A thought - We are ALWAYS on drugs? - Fun discussion

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by skippyluvs, Feb 25, 2009.

1. #1 skippyluvs, Feb 25, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2009
    Hey friends,

A thought dawned onto me: Reality is infinite

Here let's discuss for fun:

Many are so keen to point out that when one takes drugs of any kind their mindset, experience, reality, etc is simply changed because they are recieving certain chemicals from the drug (IE: THC, Salvinorin A, Lysergic Acid, Mescaline, Psilocyibin, and so on). Although this is true highlighting the notion of this changed mindset seems to perservere amongst many people and institutions as "UN-NORMAL, UNORDINARY, AND/OR ODD." However is it really? I'm sure many of you will sympathize with being naturally skeptical too.

Let's think about this for a moment. The reason such conclusions of "oddity or unordinaryness" come about in most cases (as one would logically assume) is because the individual(s) making that assessment are using "ordinary"/"sober" life as the control and/or point of reference. In this sense the "control" is the standard air, water, and food we breath, drink, eat, and/or absorb through skin pores. For the benefit of the doubt I will omit the notion of skin absorption to make this a much simpler read. The standard food, water, and air are all substances humanity has grown accustomed and evolved to indirectly consider as the norm, both in mind and body.

Come on guys let's think about this for fun. :)
    Whenever we drink water or eat a banana or breath the oxygen in the air we never think this is odd or unordinary. We are so used to standard food, air, and water that we never think it is odd. However if we were take a sentient being from a planet 750 light years away and introduce he or she to our air we breath with each breath (which is the following: 78.08%N / 20.95%O2 / 0.93%AR / 0.038%CO2) that alien might feel "high" in his or her perspective. What if that aliens homeworld was covered in gaseous Salvinorin A (C23H28O8) or THC (C21H30O2) and to that alien being around gaseous THC was the norm. He or she would then look at us as odd as we would look at he or she for breathing our vapor. Of course unlike THC or Salvinorin A our vapor isn't an actual chemical compound, it's simply a mixture of a few and several single gaseous elements. However you can then say the O2 alone is enough to be a narcotic for a certain species and that the rest (Nitrogen, Argon, and Carbon Dioxide) could be as comparable to the cannibinoids in Marijuana and/or the other terpenoids in Salvia. Nonetheless I trust you still see the case being made.

And so although one's everyday experience might be called "sober", when you put it all into perspective it's simply one out of the many possible "sober states." Whenever anyone does a drug they are simply going to another "sober state" it's not all that different or special technically, it's only special because one's normal frame of reference considers the new "sober state" aka (when your high on whatever) so different from your "standard" and/or default "sober state." In most cases this is also reinforced by institutional endorsements, media outlets on expectations, and popular societal culture (indirectly pressuring one to think a certain way and/or what to consider as "normal.")

Different "sober states" and/or perspectives due to different drugs is a universal standard. I trust that if humanity were to smoke THC or be surrounded by THC vapor 24/7 for the next 15,000 years the human mind and body would slowly but surely adapt and transition to consider such a change up as the norm. It can be easily suggested that different drugs create different sober states with different advantages. Salvinorin A can take you to a whole new reality with creative advantages, some find MDMA/ecstacy great with Math while others may find Marijuana a combination of the two or maybe leaning towards a deeper philosophical mindset.

And so if you also (throwing this out there for fun as well) think about it even more, entire civilizations are likely to actually revolve their entire sociopolitical, economic, and technological engines from their "mindsets" which to begin with once again are induced via "their sober state." So again, if a alien civilization is continuously breathing vaporized thc or eating food staples containing thc they may be a more philosophical or peaceful people. Just a thought of course.

At the end of the day, whenever one uses drugs they just might be entering that same mindset of an alien 750 light years away looking back at you when you're out at the middle night stargazing. "There is no normal frame of reference." One is always on drugs, even right now as you read this, that O2 going in your lungs with the nitrogen and the small bits of Argon, it all counts - you just don't realize it because one is so used to being sober and it being "the norm" ever since you were a "youngan." :)

In conclusion; We are always on drugs (title) - and Reality is actually infinite.

Why infinite? Well think of the different gaseous, solid, and liquid combinations one could make from the periodic table that could make any being in the universe "high (however you may definite this)" and/or induce a relatively large change in mindset - and then consider the notion that there is a good possibility that humanity hasn't even found all the elements in the universe yet.

Alright guys I'm done. I hope this was a fun read.
    Haha please do share your thoughts if you'd like, feel free to discuss it's always good for our minds even if one/we may not agree. :)

Best to you all

2. good point, maybe we are always high.
    off of life that is.

i still prefer getting high off of the one and only marijuana though.

3. right, they are called chemicals and they do alter out mood

4. yes, we are always 'high' in some way or another
    being high is just being in an altered state of consciousness
    our state of consciousness isnt really as solid as most people think
    when we sleep, we're in an altered state of consciousness. thats why you hallucinate sometimes when waking up or falling asleep. hallucinations arent really that bad, people demonize it. yes its unusual but its not crazy. just means your brains getting a little too creative. but i digress,

there are chemicals constantly being produced and consumed by our brain
    all altered states of consciousness are a product of this, whether or not the chemical involved originated in the body or was put into the body by the owner (heheh)

dmt for instance is created in the pineal gland in the brain, and if given to the brain, it eats it up like sugar. (the brain runs on sugar, so you could say that dmt wuold be like a yummy snack to the brain. and a trip for the owner.)

chemicals altering your conssciousnessare what make you feel close to god when you thikn youre about to die. calm when you meditate. our view of 'reality' is changeable depending on what we are doing, what mood we are in, and what chemicals we have put in our body including both food and drugs. we are always fluctuating through reality, changing perspectives depending what day it is. no one's view of the world is the same as another.

this is why i believe everyone should smoke weed, meditate, pay attention to their dreams, and take hallucinogens.
    our species has a unique view of the universe. our consciousness allows us to see the world in a different way than any other on our planet. we should take advantage of it and experience reality in every way possible.:hippie:

i think i strayed off subject a bit but i'd really like to thank the OP for setting me off on that rant. i have trouble followin my own train of thought these days, and its nice to be able to go on like that.:wave:

5. i love the quick little dreams when napping after a day or 2 of sleep deprivation

6. #6 potthesmoke, Feb 25, 2009
    haha i used this point to explain to my mom that whether i smoke or not it doesnt change me it's just something else i do, like i injest sugars and fats in my food and that if i do these with much excess they will cause harm to my health but that in moderation they make no impact on my life.
    she still said she never wants me to smoke again...moms...

edit: if we're always high why smoke weed? if our food and body can provide all the chemicals we need? are some of us born different or is it just a state of mind, to want to smoke pot?

7. Very true. Everyday that we live, our brains are constantly releasing chemicals that effect, and are affected by, our actions. All of our little endorphins, dopamine, seratonin and the like are at constantly varying levels. We are always high....

8. #8 FCFondler, Feb 25, 2009
    She is just concerned of change in your attitude, outlook, and health; her purpose is to sustain her incompetant budding.

Sugar (simple carbs). fats, protein, complex carbs n shit actually do impact your mood as well.

You're just uninformed and misconstrued

(its not "just a state of mind to want to smoke pot" its to want the state of mind from pot)

9. Thanks guys, I appreciate the positive and constructive feedback :)

10. no you just read my post wrong. i did say that carbs and shit impact my life...and the edit was just a curious question

11. Put sugar in anything (your coffee perhaps?) and you're on a drug (tho that coffee is a drug too).
    Now try to think of the things you consume each day that have absolutely no added sugar.

Yeah... sucks.

12. nah dude he just fried you shut up

13. ; P he didnt explicitly state that food in moderation also alters one's mindset (if you've ever starved/fasted you understand that you have to work to keep calm, weed helps tremendously)

bud puts extra emphasis on certain assertations one might usually keep concealed