A start with Banana Peppers

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by CosmicRiver12, Aug 12, 2012.

1. I'm actually growing banana peppers right now too. Started from seed and took about a week to sprout. Had the seedling under t5 inside for 3 weeks and then took the plant outside. Poor thing had trouble adjusting to the sun and got attacked by the tiny green worms. Sprayed it down with homemade neem oil and that stopped those tiny green fuckers.

Here is what the plant looks like now.
    [​IMG]
    You can see the holes in the leaves from when those little worms attacked. The small plant on the left is strawberries, and the plant below is chocolate bell peppers.

2. What happened with OP?

My peppers are popping up all over now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. I'm no expert on gardening by any means, but if you're going with organic, nutrientless soil, then i recommend figuring out some sort of way to give nutrients to your banana pepper plants. My first year growing them i used miracle grow organic which had nutrients in the soil and my peppers turned out fine. this year i build a raised bed and filled it with organic nutrientless soil and my peppers turn out horrible. they had no flavor, and hardly changed color.

Miracle grow is bad stuff.

5. yeah i know.. but last year was my first time trying to grow things and I already had that soil, so i figured why not

6. When people grow organic, they amend their soil with plenty of nutrients to last an entire season and then some. Never heard of organic soil without nutrients.

7. The banana peppers look great.

And wow, look at that avocado tree, that is incredible!

Awesome!

8. The last freeze took out my plants :(

I didnt have the ability to bring them in so I tried to cover them and insulate them the best I could and it didnt work. So I will be starting over once the temps stabilize 

9. My woman wanted raised beds so I made some and they need fed way more than the plants at soil level.

I never seen blossom end rot here and have had a garden at my house for 30 years. The raised beds get flushed of nutrients every time you water.

I made sure to stock up on bonemeal.

10. My peppers are going in the same soil as the canna this season.
    Can't wait to see the difference.