A song of Ice and Fire series.

Discussion in 'The Bookshelf' started by Iceni Toker, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Now halfway through 'A storm of Swords' and the series has officially taken over my life.

No other books have the amount of depth a complexity that this series has, in terms of plot, characters, setting...everything!

This thread is for general discussion of the series so plot spoilers are allowed, but please give us a warning first. Personally I don't want to know what happens next.

My favorite character is either Arya Stark or Tyrion Lannister. I can feel that Arya is going to be a baddass in some way, but I can''t figure out how yet....Tyrion is just awesome too, he's a good guy on the bad side in my opinon. The way he's so cool and collected all the time, with his witty comments is pretty entertaining.

Also, Hodor. .....Hodor Hodor Hodor.

Hodor.

2. I actually want to go buy these books today, but I dont know what ones, theres like 3 different box sets and a few different single styles

3. Spoiler alert!!! I have read all of them so far and so far I like Jon Snow, if you read A dance with dragons he's not dead i think. Bran he gets really awesome later in the books even though there is a lot of mystery about the extent of his powers and his teachers, the children of the forest. And Dany cant spell her name sorry BTW i hate the cliffhangers with every damn character!!! No closure at all!!! Guess thats what makes them good though. Winds of Winter is supposed to be released this month i think.

4. If you're going to say "spoiler alert" you should be a little more specific. There are five books so far, I'm on the fifth book so I obviously don't care about spoilers from book 1-4 but I'm not going to read your post because I don't know what book the spoiler is from. :p

Anyway, yeah, fucking love this series. Just starting the fifth book right now. The first four were fantastic.

5. Your talking about the game of thrones and all those books ? My dad read every single book and is a huge fan !! I personally read books 1-3 but i was reading them 10+ hours a day no joke. Best series I've ever picked up. I really want to get book 1 and start from the beginning. And this time read them high !! Since i wasn't smoking the first time i read first 3.

6. I've read 1 through 4 but have been loafting on the Dance of Dragons - mainly because after I'm done with it I'll have a long wait anyways.

"You know nothing, Jon Snow". I love this quote cause it's so relevant when people say they are reading the first or second book. And I look at them and say, "You know nothing, (insert name)" :cool:

7. Just be wary about reading things on the internet... like anything. Like maybe just stay off the entire internet until you finish the last book. :laughing:

I've accidentally read spoilers about 5 times now. I just went to look up when the next book was coming out and accidentally read something else I didn't want to know. God fucking dammit! :p

8. I'm on book 5. I had gotten the impression that most people did not enjoy this book as much as the first 4 but I am loving it so far...and I'm barely a quarter of the way done

9. I personally thought book five was just as good as the preceding four, if not better.

10. I think this series is absolutely awesome. I tend to read quite a lot of fantasy, and it was essentially the only genre I read as a teenager. My mum bought me A Game of Thrones when I was ~15 (I don't think she knew what was in it, lol) and I've been hooked ever since, even got my brother into it. Seriously can't wait for the next book, I just hope that GRRM doesn't take as long as he did with A Dance With Dragons. Hopefully the fact that the series is now a massive hit will put some deadlines on him cause 6 years is a hell of a wait!!

11. I hate to cause such pure disappointment but...

From Wikipedia on 'The Winds of Winter' page:

"400 pages of the sixth novel have been written as of October 2012, although Martin considers only 200 as "really finished."

Sit down, relax, and be prepared for a LONNNNNG wait.

12. The major event of the first book was spoiled for me. I bought it in an airport and the people I was traveling with saw it and started talking about how great the series was, and some dumb bitch goes "I accidentally read the back cover of the second book and it said "Now that Ned Stark is dead..." and it ruined the first book for me!". Said it right in front of me. Fuck you, bitch.

I was looking for a thread on the books so that I could nerd out. Does anyone think that it's possible for humans to interbreed with the Children of the Forest? Because that old witch woman who tells prophesies for Bondarrion and Thoros seemed like a half-breed, and it might explain why the Starks have semi-magical powers.

13. About 4 months ago I was in a layover at Denver International Airport... I looked over and saw a dude reading A Storm of Swords. I wanted to get enough angle to see which POV he was reading, but I could not.