A simple pH question

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by dingleberry, Dec 5, 2009.

1. I recently learned I should adjust the pH of the water I feed my plants. I had been using tapwater. When I check the water from my tap it is higher than the pH checking thingy registers, so I bring it down to 5.5

I always use 5.5, regardless of fertilizer or just water or molasses. Always 5.5

Since the change it sucks. I think I was overwatering but my question is about the pH.

Should I ALWAYS water the soil with 5.5 pH water?

(it's a soil grow but I don't know how to check the pH of the soil)

2. hydroponics should be around 5.5

soil should be a little over 6.

3. test your runoff water that comes out the bottom of the pot when you water to determine soil PH. You should adjust your PH to be higher, the runoff should be 6-6.8 as a good target range.

4. So overwatering with 5.0-5.5 pH water could definitely cause a low yield and a crappy plant I'd guess so that's prolly my problem

5. yes, it will start locking out essential nutrients at that low of a PH and cause stunted growth, if it continues, the plant will eventually die. If the PH is off, nutrients don't matter worth a damn because your plant can't use them

Just up the PH of your water to get your runoff in the target range.

6. I'll get the pH to 6.5-7.0 thanks a bunch guys.

I just got a buncha bags of FOXFARM OCEAN FOREST MIX so if I have a good mix do I even need nutes or ferts? I mean the stuff grows in the wild right? I have nutes and ferts but I wonder if a good mix kills the need altogether or partially or something?

7. Stay slightly acidic.

8. FFOF grows need fertilzer too. Check out their soil feeding guide here

The reason MJ (or any other plant) grows in the wild is because the roots can travel limitlessly to get the nutes the plant needs. Not so in a pot.

9. I flushed all of my plants last week with 5.0-5.5 water. 4 gallons per 2.5 gallon pot. Should I flush them again with 6.5-7.0 since I screwed it up?

And what does "stay slightly acidic" mean?

10. Slightly acidic means about 6-6.8. Neutral is 7.0. The higher the number, the more basic. the lower the number, the more acidic.

11. Thanks! This clears up my own pH question, but I thought the ideal range was 6.2-6.5 pH?

Regarding soil pH we want it to swing back and forth right?

So as the water "buffers" the soil it is used by the plant and lost by evaporation. As the amount of water decreases the pH drops. Thus we get our swings over the range. At least this is how I'm visualizing the process.

12. I thought the pH of the water you use to water the soil should stay pretty constant all of the time?

THIS is what happened to my plants. Overwatering? They were healthy and bushy before I started messing with the water pH and overwatering them.

Still really good, stinky weed but the yield is terrible, the plant looks anemic and the stems are yellowed and purpled. Like I said, all was well before I started messing with the pH and overwatering with 5.0-5.5

Hopefully the pH and water volume was the problem

Attached Files:

13. I suspect using 5.0-5.5 pH water is too low and is should be around 6.5-6.8 pH. Measure what the runoff is when you water with 7.0 pH water. If it is 5.2 pH for example you would want to water next time with 6.8-7.0 pH to buffer it into the proper range.

I guess the opposite would be the case if your soil is very alkaline. Is this the situation?

14. Anytime I water or fertilize I make sure that, when I check the pH, it looks pee yellow". Sounds like I need to go for the lime green color instead.

I don't quite get the "alkaline soil" question. I bought a meter with 2 prongs that stick in the soil to check the soil pH but I haven't figured it out yet.

15. #15 Dryice, Dec 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2009
    A friend of mine likes ~.2 variation from 5.8 his buds seem to come out very nice.

Edit: forgot my bud was doin hydro not soil

16. Oh go get your money back and spend it on a digital. You'll be much happier plus that two-prong garden meter only measures in soil not liquid- and inaccurately at that.

My garden meter would read like that and I found out how off and useless it was. Ph strips were like walking around blindfolded compared to a digital.

17. Sure! I hope you can get it at a decent price. Eventually it'll need calibration.

BTW I paid $75 for mine.

Then it's still just a matter of trust in the readings...

18. Avoid the prong soil testers,they simply SUCK ASS!!

That meter could work for years IF well taken care of,store with a solution,calibrate often with their solution and dont drop it or get it all wet if it is not waterproof.(and for $10 it's not)