A question about saving my trim.

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by papaduck, Jun 10, 2012.

1. I currently have two containers to keep my trim in, "brown" and "green"

My "brown" container has the fan leaves that I've pulled or trimmed off once they became brown and I knew my plant was no longer using them.

My "green" container has all the smaller green fan leaves and sugar leaves that I have trimmed off once I harvested.

I guess I am to save both for making hash or edibles (edibles appeals to me more then trying to make hash), but I want to know are they both worth saving? Do I need to keep them separate or should I just go ahead and combine the two containers into a single "trim" container?

The only reason I've kept them separate is because I can only guess that the "green" trim is going to be more potent (because of the sugar leaves) then the brown (dead) fan leaves.

Thanks for reading guys/gals!
    Keep 'em growing! :D

2. im a noob grower and new user with a low tolerance and i saved mine like ur doing and i get buzzed from the off-fall.. i aint shittin. my long time user pal said im full o crap but im stickin to it

3. Just bumping again to see if anyone has any information they can give me.

First and only bump i'll do, if no one has any info, I'll let this thread die.

4. I usually toss all the leaves that I can't see visable trichromes on. I don't feel it's worth the time or effort to try to process them...they also just add more work and time in the hash process if they're mixed in.

just my opinion...I process quite a bit of trim though....it's just a question of time/labor efficiency for me.

5. If they don't have crystals on them they are useless which includes most fan leaves

6. I new and don't yet have trimmings to save... For the future, how do you store the trimmings? Cool/dark places? Airtight containers?
    TIA

7. #7 BadKittySmiles, Jun 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2012
    If you ever have a 'dry day', when you wish you didn't, or if you ever run out of smoke and edibles in between crops, then virtually all trim is worth saving beyond the major stalks (and even they contain a small number of the same glands, which contain our cannabinoids and terpenes)!

From a recent thread;

" Contrary to popular belief, yes, that plant matter absolutely does contain a fair amount of THC, as well as the full array of additional cannabinoids and many terpenes... even the very first set of leaves can contain virtually the same ratio of THC to inert plant matter, as a (to the naked eye [​IMG] ) glandless adult fan leaf, taken during bloom.

[​IMG]

There are three 'known' general types of trichomes; bulbous, capitate-sessile, and capitate-stalked glands.

We can only see one form of trichome gland very well, the middle are virtually invisible, and the last (the most abundant, but smallest) require enhancement/enlargement in order for the human eye to detect them.

The smaller two, of the three varieties, are almost always present!

The larger, simply tends not to appear until the onset of bloom... but even that is not always the case.

And most seedlings do have small but often still-visible capitate-sessile glands, if you look closely enough. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just dry fully, if you want a clean extraction.. water contamination, even that contained in the plant matter, can pull in loads of the inert qualities we'd rather leave behind (salts, chlorophyll etc., and when extracting from leaf we have more of that stuff to avoid!).. [​IMG]

Hope this helps clear things up! [​IMG] "

Edit - It contains the same glandular material, just less of it, so the best way to store and cure your trim, is to do the same as you would for your herb; dried properly, touched as little as possible, and kept in an air-tight glass container, in a dark, cool and dry spot. I use gallon jars for trim, and put it to use right away for edibles and hash, give it to patients, or in a pinch I'll set it aside and save it for a rainy day. :)