A piece of mine from a few weeks ago

Discussion in 'The Artist's Corner' started by gctoker, Nov 8, 2009.

1. #1 gctoker, Nov 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2009
    I drew this about a month ago, and just never got around to posting it. I had stayed up all night on 60mg of Adderrall studying for an exam in my biology class, and so I was focused as hell. I smoked twice during that night to level me out from the adderrall, but I was still wired after my exam. I started drawing this while listening to a speaker on campus and stayed working on it for 4 hours straight.

Pic quality isn't great b/c i took it with my phone after I had hung it up on my wall, but let me know what you think. And btw, adderrall is a great drug for art for me at least, because I usually don't have the patience or attention span to do more than a small sketch, but addy helped me stay focused on this same paper until I ended up with what you see

[​IMG]

2. that's fuckin awesome my man! keep it up, that shit's fire!:hello: + rep

EDIT: doesn't let me give rep, sick job anyway

3. That's amazing. Keep up the good work. I honestly, wish I could draw like you. Do you take art classes of some sort? And do you regularly draw like this?

4. I took a lot of art classes in high school, but stopped taking them in college because I didn't like a couple of the professors in the art department. I realized that I create my art for me and nobody else, and I create my art pretty much solely because I like it asthetically. I felt I didn't need to be tied down by conventions and should just create my art as I like it when I like it, no pressure.

I do draw constantly, and quite often strange/surrealistic images like the ones in this piece. Usually, however, my art is limited to sketches; lots of starts and very few developed and finished pieces. On this one, the adderall let me focus on the one drawing for hours and i was able to make a complete piece.

Eclipse---talent plays a big role in art, but bigger are dedication, creativity, and passion. You can start improving your drawing by learning to section things out and draw what you SEE, not what you THINK it should look like.

Get a picture of a cartoon character that is simple and grid it off. Make an identical grid on a blank paper. copy the drawing one grid square at a time, breaking things down to basic elements like a single line, and subdivide that. You need to train your eye to look for shapes and half-way points and you will improve drastically.

Also, just create your art for yourself, and not for others. Draw what you see, feel, think, etc. and use a style that pleases you. Art is about creativity and expression, not rules and conventions and judgements of quality.