A philosophical debate on War

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by THEFBI, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Consider the following:
    War is the ultimate manifestation of our highest aspirations.

Before begining lets just take a quick look at what I'm talking about. Where does the inspiration for some of our most valuable tools come from? Microwaves, nuclear power, medical advancements, architecture, science, and overall "civilization" in general. It would seem that almost all of our inventions end up on a battle field at one time or another.

What built Rome? America? Russia? the USSR? Germany? what opened up European advancement and trade? What opened up China and Japan to the modern world?

Lets look at this from an evolutionary standpoint. We are irrevokably tied to our natural surroundings but have developed the technology to minimize the effects that nature has on us. Granted we haven't figured it all out but just take a look at a modern or even ancient city and tell me I'm wrong.

In addition we breed like rabbits. We are also the one and only supreme predator on this planet. We can and do live on every continent, in every climate and rank in the top 10 for largest biomass on earth.

We have no competition. Nothing eats or kills us with enough regularity to regulate our population.

Look at a majority of the really big problems that this planet faces, from climate change to nuclear war. And look at the root cause.

While many fail to mention it the solution to a majority of our problems stems from too many humans. Remove the humans, remove the problem.

Discuss.

2. yea i think humans are to stupid to work in massive numbers

3. What problems? Do we not just think there are problems? What if others don't think there's a problem, how do we know who's right?

4. War is the ultimate competition, the fear of being conqueored and losing power.

Rome and America were founded on democracy. They were not founded on inventions, inventions just made it easier for everyone to live together in society.

Are we really the supreme predator? I agree that we are, but what makes us supreme? Are our technologies a type of camoflauge, that protects us from other competition? It only looks as though we are extremely populated because we have conquered the globe. Humans have shown we can survive in many fluxuating conditions which other species can not. People die everyday and more are born, its how life works.

The root causes of climate change? The earth goes through hot and cold cycles all the time throughout history. It has a huge part in our magnetic poles (research ?Melachevik? cycles) We only believe we are causing global warming because many do not understand the nature of Earth and its orbit.

Remove the humans, remove the problem? That is a bit over dramatic don't you say. What evidence do you have that would support this theory? How do you know the Earth would be running so smoothly. Life is but a moss growing on a huge planetary rock, and everything is subject to nature, not just us.

5. the only reason modern society is starting to go bunkshit, is because there is too many humans. there needs a circle of life for all things, to keep order. but in the last 100 or so years, Christopher Columbus came to America to slay the last of the Vampires, because they had become an endangered species. Humans killed them because they believed it gave them the same longevity. Anyway, the last of the Vampires fled to the unknown land of the squirrelly brown people, and started to repopulate. But they only could produce werewolves out of the squirrelly brown people. When the big CC came, he pwnt on the Vamps and fucked some werewolves. AND THATS WHY OUR POPULATION IS NO LONGER REGULATED.:hello::hello::hello::smoke::confused:

6. humans are pathetic. i totally agree with you on your view of the human population expanding like crazy. humans are way too secure. to be honest, i can't wait for the day when we realize the earth will and everything on it will be destroyed (random meteor collision ect.). i can't wait for the day when people will realize that there are more important things in life than tiger wood's marriage problems and who's wearing what on jersey shore. when humans (americans in particular (i'm american)) realize that they they are NOT in controll and that they are NOT safe, it will be the happiest last day of my life. many will call it disaterous, i call it justice.

(sorry if i overreacted)

7. that is if we dont destroy the earth ourselves first:rolleyes:

8. Well, when you declare war to defend yourself from a true perceivable threat, it is just. If you declare war to further power on your agenda, it is indefinitely unjust. Revolutions to overthrow harmful governments are just. Nations that occupy other countries, or wage unlawful war against their own people, are unjust.

9. Not to get off topic from this thread, but are your personal beliefs of justice is that it is giving everyone their due?

10. the world is like the bumber car ride , we could all get in are bumber cars and drive in an orderly circle and everyone will be AYE OH KAY! but there is always a few people that want to start bumping ... then well you HAVE to bump him back right? and you can see where this leads.....

11. .... to lots of fun driving bumper cars?

12. Conflicts happen for whatever reason, and it doesn't stop until whoever controls the bumper cars turns it off. That could be symbolic of the higher power, or mother nature.

13. Initiation of aggression is a necessary prerequisite to war, therefore war is inherently immoral.

14. its a metiphore man

for war? do i really need to explain this?

the point was we dont have to go to war... we just do

15. I like this one...

16. War is the way to peace.

17. Consider this: as a creature on top of the food chain with no known natural predators, and as a species that breeds like rabbits, I propose the lemming theory. While lemmings do not commit suicide as we thought, perhaps humans do. All of our wars by our own logic are illogical. There is no war that could not have been prevented. Perhaps Freud was right, maybe we all have an inherant subconcious death wish. Perhaps this subconsious desire manifests itself on a massive social level. Perhaps war is hummanity's own personal cliff jump. Evolution, Mr. Anderson...

18. Ahh crap 1984 quote:

WAR IS PEACE
    FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
    IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

19. Was it?

I didn't know it was.. You're talking about the book, right?

I never read it... I want to, and I will, but still... I haven't read it yet.

I was actually thinking about Sun Tzu when I said that.

20. "Everyone is crying out for peace yes..None is crying out for justice..I don't want no peace..I need equal rights and justice"- Peter tosh

War is only justifiable against oppressive/genocidal governments, unfortunately that is almost every government. Im not saying war is the only way, it is just a tactic.