A months worth of pay at once? awww shit party over here

Discussion in 'General' started by Jodaboss, Jul 9, 2008.

1. So... I just got this new job last week working at this huge 15,000 sq ft mansion in a very wealthy area of Seattle, WA. Beautiful atmosphere to work in and i get to sit outside and eat my lunch on the shore of Lake Washington (their backyard) and listen to the waterfall they have on their property..

anyway! here is my problem-

They told us today that since they are going on vacation to NY for the next 2 weeks, to fill out our timecards for a full month. I didn't really understand what that meant so i was like "uh huh sure" but i later found out that whenever they go out of town for long periods of time, they pay us in full beforehand. So that means this Friday i will be getting a paycheck for over $2,000 that i will need to make last until about mid August...

I dont have a bank account (cant get one, nor do i want one), and I dont have anybody here in Seattle that i could give the money to hold and ration it out to me every week.

I have to make this last a full month but the way i spend money on weed (and everything else i want) im so afraid im gonna blow it all before i know what happened and im gonna leave myself sitting their broke for the rest of the month. I'm already plotting to buy a volcano vaporizer which i know i should NOT be doing lol. so tempting!

shit! i dont know what to do! i have some self control but shit... i dont know if it's enough.

i'd appreciate any ideas of what you'd do in my situation cause i dont really have any

2. believe me i know about spending money...went through 90 thousand in 1 year...it can be done. you gotta have some self control. decide how much you are going to spend on weed until your next pay. forget the vaporizor. forget it. now, divvy out the money that you will spend each week. divide it evenly. put each weeks money in an envelope and mark it. keep it in a safe place and each week, grab an envelope of cash that you have divvied out. got it.

3. This may sound lame, but ask who takes care of the budget in your family. Then ask your mom or dad to explain it to you, how it works, etc. Then take what you learn and fire up Excel and make yourself a budget for the next few months. Use formulas, so when you take money out of month A it subtracts it throughout the rest of the budget. Then you can see in numbers how spending X dollars will affect you in a week or two or a month. Then you learn how to balance your wants and needs, how to ration, and how to be disciplined. Honestly, I didn't learn this until a few years ago and someone should have told me the basics years ago. Nothing to be ashamed of, to say, hey, I don't know how to do a budget, what a budget looks like, etc. Good luck!

4. Pay your bills early and keep the rest for living.

5. that too

6. Great idea, it'll teach you better self control too :hello:

7. write up everything,

figure out the amount you need for bills

amount you need for grocery's etc.

and then do what ever you want with the rest man

8. spend it all and learn ur leson the hard way so itll never happen again

9. What in the hell did you spend all tat money on!? Haha

P.s. 100th post :hello:

10. just cuz you got a lump sum of money doesnt mean you can buy shit you normally cant afford

if you cant afford it on ur usual check, u cant afford it with a big check either if ur not gonna get paid for the next month, its not like your getting anymore money than usual, your just getting ur normal wages up front

and vaporizers taste like shit, stupid investment IMO

n just cuz you have more money doesnt mean u should buy more weed, damn if weed is so unaddictive there shouldnt be any problem is controlling urself from buying to much

edit: to make shit simple, do this lil math equation... amount of money divided by number of weeks boss is gone= budget per week

no need for crazy budget formulas or whatever

11. who said he is buying the vape for taste? then again, thats IYO

12. put some of the money in a CD but keep enough to last tell next paycheck.

13. It helped me a lot to write out a budget beforehand, use excel or a spreadsheet and make a budget, putting things like rent, utilities, groceries, transportation first.

14. Yep, as said pay your bills/set aside money for necessary spending.

Then I'd say go buy a months worth of food, and then set aside (stick it with your fridge :p) money for fresh groceries (milk n that) shopping through the weeks

After that.. spend away but remember if you smoke yourself silly striaght away you might run out of money.

Honestly though I'm not sure what the big thing is, are you used to being paid weekly or something? Over here 4 weekly pay or monthly is pretty much the standard. I know its gonna be in cash but just excerise some self-disicipline ;)

/e: Just knocked over my pipe. Damnitalltohellffswtfbbqbah.

15. In the states you usually get paid once every two weeks. At least in my experience that is.