A mind blowing TED talk.

Discussion in 'Television/Internet TV/VOD/DVD' started by simpo28, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Jill Bolte Taylor's stroke of insight.

Jill Bolte Taylor's stroke of insight | Video on TED.com

Crazy talk on the thoughts of a person having a stroke, a brother with schizophrenia and a human brain in her hands, spinal cord and all. Much more in depth than that but if you blazed, it'll be excellent. Gotta givfe it 3-4 minutes then you'll go all :hippie:

Enjoy!

2. Come on guys, this crazy chick basically has the most mind bending outer inner body experience, has what she describes as Nirvana and intelligently discusses it around the scenario of her having a fucking stroke! It's a real good watch, I promise :p

3. I thought that was pretty cool, she seems quite intelligent, I want to see what she'd think of some psychedelics.

Also, how does she want us to move into our right hemisphere??? By meditation?

4. yea any thoughts on that simpo28?? how do we move into a right hemisphere...

5. Awesome ted talk! Very insightful and totally backs up my understanding of the universe! thanks for sharing :smoke:

6. I actually read most of her book on this. Crazy interesting, im about to watch the video.

PS Ted talks are the mutherfuckin shit and are twice awesome cause they named it after me

7. feed your head.. whole food...no wheat or anything we didn't evolve to eat

8. Should prob post in S&P....:smoke:....Ill give it a watch later

9. #9 buller, Feb 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2012
    IDK about half the brain being there for memory..think about it--you don't really remember much at all, just notions really, maybe thats just me. i didn't know the brain was split into to mirror halves. it would be cool if the're(the hemispheres) are like two different people in the same head, one called bevis--the lives in the moment guy and buthead--the hindsight guy--deals with what just happened in the last 5 minutes, using hindsight he able to appear pretty cool sometimes

seems similar to some ether binge i was on once/the mind melting and not remembering anything for awhile, i thought i came to in a cave

10. Just because you cant bring the memory into your intellectual conscious doesnt mean its not there. We only use something like 10% of our brains. Just because you cant recall a memory doesnt mean its not there tucked away. This is why the unconscious mind (intuition) is much more powerful in creating breakthroughs than the conscious mind (intellect).

“The only real valuable thing is intuition.”
    - Einstein

11. i can picture mona lisa, but not perfectly, i reconstruct notions about how i think she looks

The 10% of brain myth is the widely perpetuated urban legend that most or all humans only make use of 20%, 10% or some other small percentage of their brains. It has been misattributed to people including Albert Einstein.[1] By association, it is suggested that a person may harness this unused potential and increase intelligence.

Though factors of intelligence can increase with training, the idea that large parts of the brain remain unused, and could subsequently be "activated" for conscious use, is without foundation. Although many mysteries regarding brain function remain, every part of the brain has a known function.[2][3]

12. By "not use" I meant that we dont consciously use it. Take these examples

When you look at a site:

• Do you realize the muscles of your eyes are used to guide your vision (ocular movements are non-conscious)?
    • Do you consciously enlarge the size of your pupil when a text is difficult to understand or when your have to choose a navigational button (the pupillary diameter is non-conscious)?
    • Do you realize all the work performed by your different memories in order to analyze the content of a page (cognitive activity is non-conscious)?

There is a lot of stuff going on in the unconscious brain that you i.e. the ego, intellect, little voice inside your head, whatever you want to call it, is not aware of. If you are not aware of these things it is harder to use, although some may say you can train yourself to access it.

13. Thanks for sharing, fascinating video

14. I was starting to enjoy these until i found out the TEDTalks series are Democrat party propaganda. TED is Ted Turner and in the opening you can see Algores face in one of the images they use.

15. One of the first people on this forum I've seen make the connection, the vast majority of TED talks are bullshit :laughing:

16. Watch Neil Degrasse Tyson's talk on our 1% difference from chimpanzees and if there was a society that was 1% different from us. Pretty eye opening stuff.
    I don't think it was a TED but he gives them all the time so I figured it applied.
    Will try to find a link for y'all.