A GUIDE TO GERMINATION

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by kenabyss, Sep 25, 2013.

1. \tWhat is the best way to germinate cannabis seeds?

The most effective method of germinating cannabis seeds requires only two saucers or plates and some moist tissue.
    • Line the bottom of the first plate with a few layers of wet tissue and drain any excess water from the plate.
    • Seeds should be placed on top of the tissue, allowing each seed as much space as possible.
    • Place another few layers of moist tissue on top of the seeds, again allowing excess water to drain off.
    • Lastly, cover everything with the second plate, upside down, to form a ‘clam-shell' shape – this will create the dark, moist environment necessary for germination.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    The cannabis seeds are now on their way to germination.
    • Place the plates somewhere warm (21ºC) and away from direct light.
    • Check seeds every day to ensure that the tissue does not dry out. Spray the tissues with water if necessary.
    [​IMG]
    • Within a few days the some or all of the seeds should open and put out a root. It is common for cannabis seeds to open within 72 hours of being put in the germination medium. Less commonly, some seeds may need up to 10 days or even two weeks to open and put out a root.
    • When the first few millimeters of root have emerged from a germinated seed, each one should then be carefully transferred to a small container of growing medium (soil, coco-fibre or rockwool).
    [​IMG]
    • Make a hole in the growing medium that is about twice as deep as the seed is long, so that each germinated cannabis seed sits 2-5mm below the surface.
    • Place the cannabis seed, root first, into the hole and cover with a small amount of growing medium – just enough to block light, not enough to obstruct the seedling when it emerges.
    [​IMG]
    • Cannabis seedlings usually emerge from the growing medium 24 to 72 hours after the germinated seeds are planted.
    • New seedlings should be given access to bright light from the time they emerge. Care should be exercised in the first week or two, as seedlings are still quite delicate.
    • Seedlings intended for outdoors should be acclimatised to direct sunlight by placing them on a windowsill inside the house and increasing their exposure to direct sunlight by an hour or two per day.
    • Seedlings intended for indoors may emerge into an artificially lit environment with no problems. If using HID lighting, seedlings should be kept a minimum distance of 50 to 80cm from the bulb. If using fluorescent light, seedlings can be kept a normal distance from the tube/bulb.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. ^yup

Or you can do it the naturally way and drop it in a bucket of moist soil.

3. #3 corkybuchek, Sep 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2013
    Here's. My technique. Collect good garden soil where the herbs grow without affliction. Lay it in a shallow tray with a bit of sand raked in. Drench the tray or leave it in the rain. Then move the tray to the grow site and poke holes in with your pinky about a half inch to three quarter inch deep. Drop a seed in each hole and tap it down so the pointy part is sticking down. This guarantees the seed will be in touch with the medium from the get go and not have any transplant shock. It may move a bit but hitting the sides of the hole as it searches for light, will anchor in soil just fine. I have also seen people use towels and rock wool.

Leave the tray alone for about three days to a few weeks.

4. #4 kenabyss, Sep 26, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
    I just pinchedd that post from sensi seeds page, i noticed there wasnt yet a guide on here

5. easy way just put in rockwool cubes and put in a dome in a dark cupboard dark an warm check every 24 hrs hey presto seedlings

6. ive put mine straight into damp root riot cubes underneath a 125 envirolite in a propagator will this work 

7. dwc here. have used paper towel method in the past, as well as rockwool. now, I just put my beans in the hydroton. keep water level high and 3 air stones poppin crazy amounts of bubbles. 100% germination rate

8. That's how i did it. In three days i had a sprout. I think simple is the way to go when growing. Don't over think it like i did when first started mine. Pic below is of my first grow. She's only 13 days old B-)

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

9. Has anyone heard of putting a little bleach in the H2O that you soak the paper towels in before placing the seeds in? Thanks for the 411!!