A Flawed Constitution

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Shade, Mar 6, 2010.

1. Obama 9th Circuit Nominee: Constitution Must Adapt to Changes in the World

By Shannon Bream

I'm sorry to all you Constitutionalists out there, but the Constitution, for all of its praise, continues to be used as a weapon against liberty; and it's clear this type of interpretative use will never cease.

2. WTF I thought the supereme court interpreted the constitution. Not just "do whatever the fuck you want"

3. The supreme court interprets the Constitution to mean whatever they think it should mean.

The way the Constitution is written has allowed these arbitrary judgments to continue from years past to years to come.

4. Wow, I totally get what you're saying! We should just do away with constitutions, and flip to contracts between corporations! Man, I just totally got enlightened! I mean, it just seems like only governments use tricky wordplay when it comes to linguistics! We should definitely just do away with any document that was in written earnestly to protect civil liberties by the United State's founding fathers, and let modern lawyers and businessmen write a new constitution! Because, you know... there's no way there would be major loopholes and/or other long-winded, possibly corrupt bullshit in a "constitution" written by businessmen. Nope. What a foolproof idea I just had!

Because, you know, only the Constitution (because it was written by government) can be interpreted to mean things other than what it means, because, like I said, it was written by the government. We totally don't see bullshit like that all the time in other legal/business/whatever documents. Nope, damn government. Because, you know... a privatized judge would be much less able to interpret documents in a way possibly different from it's intended meanings. Yeah, only a judge elected by the government can have their personal interpretations of the law be up for scrutiny/controversy, because they're just the worst kinds of people.

5. Where's Dorothy, the Tin man and the Lion? All I see is a straw man. :rolleyes:

6. What are you talking about? I was just drawing my own conclusions based off the information you gave me. Seeing as how I wasn't arguing with anyone, or trying to debunk any of your points, I am not drawing away from your issue. I mean, don't I have to be debating an issue in order for me to be distracting someone from it?

7. The Soviet constitution guaranteed all sorts of things. Fair trials by jury, free practice of religion, etc.