A few trimming questions

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by jarhead77, Oct 13, 2009.

1. #1 jarhead77, Oct 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2009
    It was my first grow, my first time rolling a joint, and my first time smoking marijuana. It was an awesome experience, and it will not be the last. I say that to show that I have very limited experience with bud. I have trimmed a couple of plants. I trimmed every leaf off of the buds before letting them hang. I noticed that there are a lot of trichromes on the small leaves within the bud. In looking through the stickies, it appears that they are left. However, I see discussion about the leaves causing the bud to taste bad. Should I leave these small leaves or trim them off?

Also, can you get high from just trimming? I was feeling pretty good after a couple of hours of trimming. Was this just in my head or can you absorb THC through your skin? What about breathing the smell for a prolonged period? It is very strong smelling.

A funny story also. I had harvested and transported some in my vehicle. My daughter got in the vehicle and said, "What is that skunky smell?" Her sister said, "I don't know, but the house smell skunky, too." It was all I could do not to bust out laughing.

(Looking back at this, I am horrified by what it looks like. No, I would not drive my vehicle after enjoying the pleasant herb, especially with my precious kids. I have only sampled it once, when the kids were not around. I would only do it when I have no responsibilities for a few hours. I just thought it was funny because of their choice of words, "skunky." I think this smells much better than a skunk.)

Thanks in advance for any responses.

2. #2 LBH, Oct 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2009
    Check out the "martini hash" tutorial sticky in either advanced or harvesting section, don't remember which one it's in. I got about 1/2g from the trimmings of 1 med Pineapple Express plant. Real easy tutorial, takes about 8 minutes aside from the "settling" time.

[​IMG]

3. #3 dragonsfire1988, Oct 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2009

No. That's all in your head, dude :) Well, I believe it can be absorbed in the skin somehow, but not through trimming

You can leave the really small leaves...they probably will affect the taste in the end product slightly, but it all depends on how much more time you want to spend on trimming.
    Those small leaves are great for hash too...LBH mentioned the martini hash, there's also cold water hash, BHO and QWISO...just do a search for "hash" and lurk around the Harvest section ;)

LOL @ your kids, too.
    FYI, don't make QWISO or BHO while they are around...both methods use somewhat harmful chemicals.

4. Thanks for your response. I didn't think I was high, but my wife kept asking. I thought maybe she saw something I didn't. It is pretty exciting and enjoyable. OK, maybe not the trimming part. I read one post where someone said they enjoyed growing almost as much as smoking. I agree. I have been saving all of my trimmings. I have only harvested a couple of plants. They were small. I may have an ounce out of the two combined. I did a lot of things wrong since it was my first grow. Hopefully, next year's harvest will be much larger. After all, I will be armed with hours of knowledge from Grass City!

Thanks again for your response.

5. You're Welcome.

Growing is a very addictive habit...you're right, too, it's just as enjoyable as smoking! Even better since it's your own product :)

If ya need anything throw me a PM or something. Good luck on future grows!

BTW, 1oz is pretty impressive for a first grow - be proud!

6. So let me get this straight. The first time youve ever smoked MJ is from the plants that youve also grown for the first time? Thats pretty cool!!!

LOL No you didnt get High from Trimming. Every single leaf doesnt need to be cut off. Especially the single bladed sugar leaves. Definately get any that have more than one leaf blade though. All of your trim can be used to make hash so all those trichome your cutting off dont go to waste..

Daddy? Whats that Skunky smell? LMAO.

7. Yes, it was my first experience with marijuana all around this spring/summer/fall. It started off as a last ditch effort to feed the family. I had been unemployed for a while and was not having any luck finding work. A friend gave me some seeds in the spring and I went with it. Fortunately, I did find a job and have been working. I already had several plants started, so I didn't want to waste them. I didn't get to work them as often as they should have been, but I did manage to harvest a little bit. After my first plant was dry, I decided to try a sample. I just wanted to compare it un-cured vs. cured. 3 days after chopping, it was absolutely awesome. I had no idea it would be so great. If it gets even better after curing, I won't know what to do. I didn't save my trimmings from the first plant, but I did on the second one. Neither one was anything like the plants posted here, but it sure did impress me.

Thanks again for the responses.