A few questions and your thoughts on first micro grow?

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by thebombes123, Dec 8, 2015.

1. #1 thebombes123, Dec 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2015
    Hey guys, I am trying to start my first successful micro grow, and I would like to hear your guy's opinions and thoughts you have and do you think it will pull through and I'll get something to harvest? Anyways, attached are some pics of the seedling at it's current age (2 weeks exactly)

Some details:
    (3) 45w(not equivalent) Daylight CFLs(about 2700 lumens each, 5500k),
    (3) 40w(not equivalent) Cool White CFLs(2650 lumens each, 2700k).

Total light wattage: 255w(not equivalent)
    Light schedule is 12/12 from seed.

Grow Medium: Coco Coir
    Watering with Deer Park bottled by the gallon for now.

Avg temp: 85F - 95F
    Avg Humidity: 16 - 18%

The seedling was about 3 inches from the CFL's for the first 12 days then I moved it down about 3-4 more inches because it's on 12/12 and I want it to get taller before it starts making buds, so it's about 6-7 inches away from all 6 CFL's, one day after I moved it down they seemed fine, I really don't want to move it back up because I want it to get taller, not bushier(probably weird, I know, but i'm doing 12/12 from seed anyways so there most likely will only be 1 large cola, right?).

I snipped the tips of the first set of leaves because they were dying for some reason, but seems fine now(The extra bit of dead growth on the one tip is just me being extra cautious not to cut the alive part of the leaf, it has since stopped dying and no other problems have come on).
    I have fed it twice with about .8ml of Bud Candy to 500ml Deer Park water because of the leaves dying, I didn't have anything else to give it, but I'm not going to feed it anymore until it starts getting a bit more mature because I know seedlings don't really need much nutes, and Deer Park water does contain a small amount of nutes the plant can use for now(until I get bottled veg nutes).

I plan to LST it over top of the container it's growing in so it grows/buds on an angle to maximize yield(hopefully), however, I haven't needed to LST yet due to its small size, I don't see any point yet.

So, with that being said, here are my questions:
    What do you think this plant could yield, if done correctly?

Do you think my light schedule looks good on the timer?(That's why that picture is included)

If you can tell, do you think the strain is more Indica or Sativa dominant? It's a bag seed.\\

Does the seedling seem a bit yellow to you? (I don't think it's the camera, the plant seems a bit yellow in person and that's what lead me to decide to stop feeding it, for now.)

This is my first ever grow post and i'm not sure if i included all the information you might need, so if you have any questions please post and I will respond ASAP.

If you have any comments or tips for me, please post, I beg for your response, but if you're coming in here with some bullshit then don't even bother.

Thanks in advance people, stay positive and toke on!

Attached Files:

2. I only beginning growing, so I cant really answer any of your questions, although from what i've researched the average temp should be a little bit lower (75-85). Nice looking seedling though, I hope mine comes along like that!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thank you! I'll get the intake fan running faster hopefully that will take it down a bit, and I wish you good luck with your grow man, mine had a rough start but it's going good now, hopefully you will have even better results!

4. hey bro digging the set up come see my micro box if you need ideas i think you will enjoy my thread .I got homeade Lst pots there come on bud

5. Thanks man! I'll have a look!

6. Good job, medium looks good and plant seems happy.
    255W is a good wattage, I am using 217watt (also CFL only) and you can see in my thread what plants that can grow.

It looks like you have to much lightning for a seedling right now. She can't handle that amount of light with such tiny leaves. So its useless to use 6 bulbs right now. You may want to change the number of bulbs and add bulbs when she grow bigger.

Why did you choose for 12/12 from seed?
    Possible upgrades: Digital timer clock, ventilation, bigger (smart)pot

7. yeah the seedlings just love having a little light and great temps around 76 F and she will be loving it for now .I use to always think like that too 12/12 but nah man that takes long for a plant to get ready for budding .When shes ready in veg she'll be great size and start stacking on buds it's cool to invest that time

8. Thanks for the advice! So should I remove the "Soft White" bulbs and just keep the 3 Daylight ones on for now? I read somewhere that cannabis likes warmer light for vegging. Also I started 12/12 from seed to keep it small for now, and because I don't think there is enough room in the box to grow several colas, what do you think? Do you think I should just veg on 18/6 until she( or he :( ) is more mature? Would that stress the seedling too much? Could it possibly turn hermie on me because of me changing the light schedule back? I finally got some FloraGro for vegetative nutrients so hopefully that yellowness(what i'm thinking is nitrogen deficiency) will go away, and it's supposed to help the roots grow nice and strong. Also, because of me removing some of the lights for now, should I move the seedling back up to be closer to the lights? Thanks for your responses guys, I'm really looking forward to this grow.

9. #9 thebombes123, Dec 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2015
    A little update 1 day later..

No changes in lighting or anything yet and it's looking good

Only thing I did was give it a nice water of just straight deer park water, no feed.

Temp: 86F
    Humidity: 16%

Here are some pics.
    It looks like the 3rd set of leaves are coming in, but you may not be able to see in the pictures, I tried as best as I could..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Get that heat down to the 70s and humidity up to at least 50%. It can be lower during flower. You get props for design and starting with coco. Good job!

sent from my van down by the river

11. Thank you! The temps did come down a ton now that i'm only using the daylight bulbs for the time being(still gotta figure something out for heat during flowering, probably another intake fan or speed the current one up as its only running around 5v @ 500mA, what do you think? Thanks for the feedback!

12. If you can lower temps by turning it up try it. Watch out for leaf drying. It's good to have them blowing around but too much too fast will dry out the plant

sent from my van down by the river

13. They like white light in veg and the yellow light in flower. But its still good to mix spectrum by using both. So use some more white bulbs in veg and more yellow bulbs in flower.
    Don't switch her back to 18/6. See how this grow will go and then you can deceide for the next round increase the veg time based on the results from this round.
    Be careful with the nutes because it can harm the plant a lot in this early stage when the doses are too high.