A Depressing Thought

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by SupBroYo, Oct 25, 2011.

1. What happened to the flying cars and space stations we were all promised by now?

This is year 2011, what happened to those predictions of the futuristic society that we were predicted to have happened by now? Where everyone had flying cars, buzzing by through our floating highways at jet speed. Where we had robots doing all of our labor, cleaning our houses. Where we all lived to 150 living healthy, energetic lives.

But no, this is as far as reality as possible. We're all a bunch of depressed, poverty stricken, hopeless people. Where homelessness and unemployment are at shocking highs. We have countries where there is simply not enough food to go around, and children are dying of starvation in a world that just can't support them.

And the worst part about this is all the technology is there. We could theoretically all be living the splendid, futuristic lifestyle, the only thing holding us back is material and economic problems. Our resources are being depleted, and our value diminished. We waste our time in meaningless conflicts instead of working together to solve the global problems at hand, and to advance technology and the overall human experience.

2. It's a fucked up world man. Smoke another bowl and let all your worries float away.

3. ^ and people like you are a big part of the problem.

4. we are ALL a part of the so called "problem"

5. hahahaha. You mean the "reality" you fantasize about, because THIS is reality kid. Do you really expect the world to be exactly how you want it?

6. Exactly, I was saying my fantasized world is nothing like the actual world, did you comprehend any of that?

7. You know what happened? Corporatism.

Hail Satan, abolish government 420420420

8. Hasn't it kind of been like this throughout history? Technology won't change anything. If anything it just widens the gap between us and our "protectors", the ones with the ability to easily acquire it.

We have to advance mentally before we can hope to control the power we have.

9. the problem is that the 99% doesnt want to do what it takes to get what we need.

we want all this shit from our government, but when farmers want to hire us instead of mexicans, we say the job is too hard and quit. true story.

who elected the congressmen that make our laws? US!

if you want change, get involved in politics. senate votes are more important then president votes and no one except old people pays attention to the congress.

10. Did you see that one commercial with robots becoming your childrens day care helper. ?

IT Was Awesomeeeeeeeeee. Keke i want my mother fucking jet pack.

11. Haha sorry totally misunderstood then.

12. GREED, thats whats happening.

13. our dependence on fossil fuels is what happened. Greedy bastards

14. This is real life bruh

not the Jetsons

Find me a reliable source that predicted that we'd have flying cars moving at jet speed by 2011

15. A splendid, futuristic society does not necessarily equal happiness. This isn't The Jetsons, this is reality. We can be as technologically advanced as "possible" (what is "possible" of course is relative), but depression and poverty will still exist.

16. One word. Globalism. Understand that, and you will understand everything that is currently happening

17. [quote name='"SupBroYo"']^ and people like you are a big part of the problem.[/quote]

There is nothing even a large group of people working all there life could to do anything about it. Humans are stupid, over breed and kill the Planet we live on. If you wanna fix the planet, about 70 percent of us have to die tomorrow.

18. 1, 2, 3, not it!

19. predictions aren't guaranteed man, like almost anything in life..
    worry not my man, every little thing is gonna be alright

20. You wanna know what happened? They criminalized weed. Can you imagine how much money the government would've had if they had been taxing this shit for the last 40 years or any amount of time? Hah.

But then of course you'd have the government regulating your weed, and that makes me uncomfortable.

Still. They could have had a secretary of High-deas. All the tax money from weed goes to this department and they have their own science department and use the money to produce all the cool shit people think of on drugs.