Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

A coupla questions for experienced smokers...

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by SA_Counselor, Jan 31, 2010.

1. On this matter I am mixed. I'd say as long as ones smoking doesnt interfere with/harm thiers or other daily lives and/or routines, its not a problem.

For example, a surgeon getting high before performing surgery, is a problem. I would not want to go under the knife knowing my Doctor is blitzed. AsHarmless as I believe weed is, it does make you careless and causes mistakes at times.

Blazing up before a funeral however, I see as OK. It is a great way to relieve stress and sadness.

2. just cause you smoke weed doesnt mean youre necessarily not sober. i mean like i know i can definitely function after a session (depending on how much i smoke and what im smoking but work with me here..)

like it was mentioned, mj is used to enhance your life. so why not smoke and enjoy life in the way that the mj makes specifically you enjoy it? you can enjoy life sober or high , it really doesnt matter, bottom line is youre enjoying it !

3. #23 -4Twenty-, Jan 31, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2010
    Hmm, I will answer this with 100% honesty and my opinions may be different then other peoples opinions.

I have two mental conditions:
    - Syndrome of asperger
    - ADD

These cause me to have certain 'tics' and a sort of uncontrollable rage I can just burst out without warning.
    I havn't been sleeping well or wouldn't sleep at all (I still dont really sleep well but better).
    Since I first tried smoking marijuana this didnt immediately gave me the feeling like; Hey this accually helps.
    But I did notice I slept like a baby that day.
    So I started experimenting with this herb and after half a year/year I was a daily smoker who was more in control of his own mind and body.

But to answer your question.
    I smoke a joint a day now and it ballances me out quite nicely, I am still one of the top students in my class (sorry for bragging about it ;)) and I have a nice averige IQ of 112.
    This shows that the marijuana I consume doesn't effect my intelligence. (as far as I know).
    I would say that it depends on the person but for someone like me it's .5 gramms of weed a day ballances me out quite nicely.
    (when I have friends over I smoke more than that but for me solo it's 1 joint, maybe 2 on some days).

I can take breaks between smoking weed from weeks to even months without the bad temper and the insomnia returning.
    If you start smoking over 5 gramms a day you might have a problem in my opinion.
    I know a guy who used to smoke an ounce in a weekend...
    Well lets just say he hasnt gotten smarter.

I hoped I helped you out, I am going to toke up, see you all in 20 mins.

Edit:
    I agree with NotoriiouzZ ^^

4. #24 njfinest, Jan 31, 2010
    I've been burnin everyday for about 8 months that's just my choice, I can stop at anytime. I have a full time job and I'm also a full time student. If someone is missing work or school to smoke I believe that's a sign to cut back. MJ can not be a priority. If your a responsible toker then I don't see a problem with smoking everyday at all.

*** to answer ur question I do not think it matters how mnay times you smoke a day if you have your priorties straight. For example if it's a Saturday night and your free all night and your off of work Sunday I don't see a problem with smoking all day, it does not effect your daily life the next day you can function perfect the next day.

If your a surgeon and you smoke before a surgery I think you have a problem. That would just be irresponsible just smoke after the surgery. ** I'm sorry if this doesn't make sense I'm very blasted:smoking:

5. This has come up many times on the boards. "I'm sorry if this doesn't make sense, but I'm baked/stoned/wasted/blasted/high as shit/whatever." So on the one hand some of you are saying "Sure, I'm high all the time -- it doesn't impair me." and then there's plenty of people on the board basically saying it definitely does impair you." This reminds me of alesto's excellent post re: functioning vs. non-functioning alcoholics. It reminds me of the drunk guy on Saturday night arguing "I'm fine, I can drive." and then the next day tells his buddies how wasted he was last night. I am not picking a fight, I'm saying that so far I'm not clear about how all this comes together.

Regarding "I can function:" something else up that my pot addicts report: they dumb-down their life. They limit the kind of friends they have. They limit what challenges they take on. They limit their presence in others' lives. They limit their responsibilities, etc. And yes, they're FUNCTIONAL, but that's because they are choosing the "What-I-Can-Do-While-High" life. There's an unconscious decision "I won't go this way or that way in my life because it would seriously impact how much pot I could smoke."

6. I have a theory about habit vs addiction. When you repeatedly do somehing for the benefit it provides it is a habit. When something is done repeatedly to avoid negative effects it is an addiction. For example, most people start smoking cigarettes for the nicotine buzz, at this point it's a habit. When they start smoking to avoid withdrawals it has become an addiction. This also applies to cannabis because when you start smoking just to make it through the day or when being sober feels strange, I think you have an addiction.

7. yes and this is when you know you have a problem...when u find yourself asking these questions. And that again comes back to having your life revolve around pot. I think its alright to have it as a hobby of yours, because hobbys don't effect major parts of your life. But when the hobby becomes a habit and effects major parts of your life, you have a problem. Building model cars can be something you enjoy and can take time but doesn't have a huge impact on your life. That is what i think pot should be...if that makes sense

8. #28 wb7275, Jan 31, 2010
    Many "potheads" cling to fallacy that MJ is harmless, but anything practiced in excess will have adverse effects.

To clarify, I would consider someone who drank over a 12-pack a day to be an alcoholic, and I would consider someone who smoked over 1/8th a day to be a pothead. You should realize, however, that any amount assigned to designate an "addiction" mark is largely arbitrary. So, to answer your first question, frequency is irrelevant when considering whether or not someone "has a problem with marijuana". A 16 year old girl smoking for the first time may encounter a "problem" when speaking with her parents, so one could certainly make the argument that smoking once constitutes trouble. In order to aide your future inquires, perhaps you should more concisely define the term "problem" instead of offering only a few ambiguous situations.

In response to your hypothetical situations, yes, I would most assuredly condemn individuals getting high before engaging in those activities. In my opinion, the boundaries should exceed your examples; it’s difficult to be upwardly mobile if you’re plagued by procrastination and a desire to chill out and smoke a bowl.

For the record; I do smoke marijuana on occasion.