Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

A common misconception

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by hurtydipster, Oct 8, 2012.

1. This isn't "news" per se, but I think it was most appropriate to post this thread here, especially since it is relevant to most of you.

This is my first thread and I've signed up today, but I have done a lot of lurking on grasscity in the past, and I have noticed one thing here (and nearly every other place that discusses weed for that matter) that kind of bugs me: all of this whining about tar. Tar this, tar that, how much tar is joints vs. cigs? blah blah blah. First of all, tar is not the only carcinogen found in smoke, nor is it the real problem.

Erowid Psychoactive Vaults (this article cites some sources, if you want to check it for authenticity).

This doesn't mean that tar isn't bad for you of course, but it's obviously not what is causing the cancer. If it were, then it wouldn't make any sense that marijuana smokers have a far lower rate of cancer than cigarette smokers, even though it is pretty much common knowledge at this point that weed contains just as much, if not more tar than cigs.

By the way, this is also a good reason why marijuana should not be legalized. I'd rather go to prison or pay a fine than die, personally.

2. Actually...it's not a good reason why marijuana should not be legalized. Not unless you're a fucking fascist.

We need our freedom to do as we please. That includes the freedom to cause our own demise.
    You're obviously the sort of person who believes in a nanny government which seeks to "protect" you from yourself.

If you think smoking cannabis is going to kill you...then don't fucking smoke it. You don't need laws to keep you from smoking a substance, and we don't need people like you forcing your health advice on us by rule of law.
    And in the event that you're really convinced that such laws will save lives, I invite you to look at the number of men, women, children and pets that are now dead due to enforcement of drug law.

Unbiased factual education and critical thinking. That's what needs to be taught and enforced...not laws.

3. What the hell did that last sentence mean. It made absolutely no sense. Explain please.

4. If you are anxious that much , please don't smoke then.:smoke:

5. #5 hurtydipster, Oct 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2012
    I'm not even going to address this or read it properly, because you're clearly a fuckwit that jumps to conclusions and doesn't actually pay attention to what anybody says.

As for the rest of you, what I meant is that my primary fear of weed being legalized is that the government will turn it into the next tobacco, basically. If they require tobacco companies to use the radioactive fertilizer, then they might very well do the same with bud, in addition to the actual companies cutting it with various additives. If it's legal, it will be harder to grow yourself, too.

We do not tolerated name calling within the city,
    Please make your point without doing so
    _YODA

6. You guys do realize that my original post is IN FAVOR of weed and AGAINST tobacco, yes? Read a little more carefully before you start angrily ranting about stupid bullshit.

7. People who smoke cigs usually smoke about a pack a day.. 20 cigs.. I dont know anyone who smokes 20-40 joints a day

8. A valid point, but what in the hell does it have to do with what I'm talking about? Are all of you seriously this burnt out?

9. #9 WookiesDoItBest, Oct 8, 2012
    It's been very well established that the chemicals in tobacco smoke are carcinogens. It's also been established that cannabis use reduces risk of cancer.

You're trying to compare tar from tobacco combustion to tar from cannabis combustion as if they're the same thing. Aside from being sticky and black, they're not at all the same. They're two completely different substances. So your statement of;

"This doesn't mean that tar isn't bad for you of course, but it's obviously not what is causing the cancer. If it were, then it wouldn't make any sense that marijuana smokers have a far lower rate of cancer than cigarette smokers, even though it is pretty much common knowledge at this point that weed contains just as much, if not more tar than cigs."

really doesn't make factual sense. You're also totally ignoring the effects on the body of the other chemicals present in the two substances that aren't left behind as tar in the lungs.

Also, instead of outright calling me a fuckwit, you might consider that you ended your already senseless initial post with, "By the way, this is also a good reason why marijuana should not be legalized. I'd rather go to prison or pay a fine than die, personally. "
    What the hell did you think the reaction to that was going to be. Fuckwit...

Make your point without the name calling please
    _YODA

10. lol, you're not actually refuting, and probably not understand what I'm even talking about. You're just raging because I said that I think weed shouldn't be legalized. Doesn't mean I don't want people smoking it!

I'm going to condense my original post so your hideously short attention span can follow along, and then I want you to tell me exactly which part of it is twisting the stick that's shoved so far up your asshole, kay?

Lots of stoners bitch about tar in tobacco and cigarettes, or they claim that cannabis has more tar in it and is therefore more likely to cause cancer, or visa versa.

The primary cancer causing agent in tobacco is radioactivity, not tar. 90% of all cigarette related lung cancer is caused by radioactivity, which comes from certain elements in the fertilizer that tobacco companies are required by law to use.

This largely explains why weed causes little to no cancer compared to cigarettes.

I do not want marijuana to be legal, because there is a fair chance that weed will go down the same road as tobacco, and I highly doubt they will let you grow your own, not because I think nobody should smoke it.

11. You sir, have been nominated for the idiot of the year award....

Your understanding of the science behind all of this is so simplistic and child-like that I'm not even going to waste my time trying to explain it to you any more except to say that I get what it is you're trying to say, and I'm telling you, you're not seeing the whole picture.

Also did you happen to stop and consider that if it were legal...it would be damn near impossible to stop home growers because simply smelling marijuana would no longer be reasonable suspicion for police to search?

12. It's weird that you would say that, and immediately turn around and do the exact same thing in the next paragraph. Because the smell is like, thing that cops look for, right? There are dozens of signs for illegal grows that cops look for besides the smell. Additionally, it would be far easier for cops to figure out who should be growing and who shouldn't, and it makes it easier to keep track of what bud goes where.

For the record, I am fully aware than the issue is much more complicated than I'm making it, but the ENTIRE point of it is that tar isn't that big of a deal, and there's no reason for there to be so much hype about it, that's it. Then you immediately responded with some fuming rant about how I'm a fascist and I believe in nanny government and I think weed will kill you. What the fuck are you smoking man? At least I payed attention to you. And you still haven't answered my question either, who on earth are you so tweaked? It's gotta be an unrelated personal problem that you're just taking out on me. It's either that, or you're way less smart than you present yourself to be, and you're just another one of those goons who's sole knowledge of weed comes from some article you read somewhere, and are way too eager to fling that knowledge in anybody's face who disagrees with you, like a monkey throwing around its own shit.

13. The fact that you even think someone needs to keep track of "what bud goes where" is a dead give away that you're a fascist.

And yes, while there are other signs for grow ops, they're largely dependent on growops of sizes intended to feed the black market. If the need for such a market disappears, so do the huge grow-ops. Those signs are far less obvious if even there at all for smaller personal grows.

If you really don't think tar is that big of a deal, then you should have just come out and said so to begin with and left out all of your other opinionated crap. You might also have chosen a different sub-forum. Additionally, you may consider that a good percentage of the number of folks who are concerned enough about tar to even really give a shit, they vape or bake instead.

Honestly, you sound like a fifteen year old who just stumbled across erowid and suddenly thinks they have something of value to add to the forum. You write about as well as one...that's for sure...

14. #14 hurtydipster, Oct 8, 2012
    I'm starting to wonder what the point even is of continuing this conversation with you, other than making you look stupid for my own amusement. I don't think I could pick out a single one of your posts without finding at least one instance of you putting words into my mouth. Even if you've brought up a few moderately interesting points (none of which seem to -really- be directed at any of the things I've actually said), you've completely discredited yourself by fighting me almost entirely with vague declarations about how wrong I am, and straw-man arguments. If I were a third party reading this conversation, I'd think that you at the very least have a severe anger problem, and are probably completely flippin' delusional.

Edit: I love the hideously cliche quote under your avatar, by the way. Based on that, and our entire conversation so far, you're starting to sound like a textbook liberal college dropout. I bet you were on the front lines at the Occupy protests. You guys did a real good job taking up space.

15. #15 aPersonUponaHill, Oct 8, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
    Lung cancer is not the only cause of smoking related death, you can also get a host of other diseases. One such example is emphysema, which is simply where your lung capacity is greatly diminished and makes it easier to contract and fight against respiratory illnesses like phenomia, and makes your odds of dying as a result of your weakened respiratory state fairly certain. And if you don't believe me, let me show you some of the black shit I can cough up for you and you can see some of the tar.

If you don't believe that, all that stuff(tar) in your piece you smoke out of is also in your lungs. The speed with which pieces get dirty from smoking makes it obvious the sheer amount of tar. To think that it is not so is truely the definition of naive.

I am not saying not to use cannabis, I am advocating edibles over smoking, or even vaping.

16. Mmkay pumpkin....whatever helps you sleep better at night.

17. First off if you're brand new to the forum be a bit more chill man. I do understand what you're saying but you're blowing the whole thing way out of proportion. You're jumping to the conclusion that the government would make it illegal for people to grow on their own. Secondly, the amount of tobacco smoked by a tobacco smoker is a lot more than weed smoked by a weed smoker. Third, this is the worst and most dim-witted reason for marijuana not to be legalized. People will always grow their own bud and you can always buy it from home growers wether weed is legal or illegal. Think of all the positive factors of weed being legalized and weed in general compared to some tar or a bit of radio active shit. Think a bit more before you make a post like you did and start swinging at people. I would say welcome to the forums but from what I've seen so far you don't seen to be a positive addition. Interesting information you posted but just in the wrong way.

• Like Like x 1

18. Oh certainly, I wasn't speaking of all death related to smoking, just cancer. I never said tar was harmless or good for you either. To be honest, I'm not really sticking up for my original point anymore, I'm really just goading this dude on because I can tell he's genuinely angry at me for some reason.

19. This isn't the first troll thats said marijuana is as bad tobacco. So everyone just calm on down.

20. Wtf do you mean what does it have to do with anything? More cigarettes = more cancer causing tar. So even though marijuana may have more carcinogens people dont smoke as much weed as they do tobacco