96 Percent of Dems Who Support Minimum Wage Hike Don’t Pay Their Interns

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Deleted member 472633, Jan 28, 2014.

1. This. I guess I was being unclear but  you stated my position eloquently. 

It didn't go over my head.  An internship isn't a job, it's work experience for class credits.  It's learning.  These kids aren't employees, it is an entirely different program and concept that doesn't make them look hypocritical at all.  It has existed across the US in various professions for a very long time.  Those on the right are just reaching for straws with this one, trying to find another silly way to discredit the other side.   It's just another sensationalist story that is a distraction from the real problems. 

• Like Like x 2
  3. #23 lilro, Feb 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2014

Please explain to me how walking to get coffee, pens, etc. is learning and not work. Please explain to me how going all over town to find an xbox one on launch day without a preorder is learning and not work. Because this is what interns do.

Explain why flipping burgers is not "work experience".

When you get a "real job", you have "training" which is actually learning something, and 9 times out of 10 you get paid while you do it.

Work experience when you actually learn something and don't get paid is called apprenticeship. The major difference is, apprentices actually do the real work and gain real experience to gain the skills to perform that work on their own. Interns get coffee.

You don't see how it's hypocritical to not pay someone to order and deliver your coffee, but demand that the person preparing the coffee be paid?

Interns do far more than that and you know it.   My last intern taught my classes, graded a couple simple research papers I had assigned, and had weekly evaluation meetings with me.  The intern did quite well and I gave him an A.  He did not fetch coffee and pens once.  Political interns may get "abused" a bit, after all politicians are usually rule breaking assholes, but they do learn, do work, and are graded.  Internships are part of higher education and the pay-off comes from the grade and credit you get. 

This is still just sensationalism, don't we have something better to whine about?

5. #25 Penelope420, Feb 2, 2014
    The quality of an internship is highly dependent upon the program/company involved.

There are actual requirements that a company has to follow when hiring an intern, and it has to provide an educational benefit for the intern.  If you find yourself in an intern position and you are reduced to 'getting coffee' then, that company is abusing the purpose of unpaid internships and you should appeal to your school, or the HR department.

We hire interns in my office to do their practicums, and they do far more than fetching coffee.  Our last intern developed a 14-day educational program in Cuba. She created the budget, contracted all of the services, developed the educational theme and itinerary, hired and trained a tour manager, created a system of organizing our license application materials, created the participant materials, and ultimately went to Cuba to oversee the entire program.  At the conclusion, she had to give a written and oral presentation on her work as part of her overall graduate requirements.

6. The left has always been very hypocritical, this shouldnt surprise anyone.

• Like Like x 2
    yea im getting sick of real moderates being compared to the neo extremists on both sides..I see these republican posts on facebook saying they hate being stereotyped by liberal media but turn around and do the same exact thing with "liberals are like this and that"...blanket statements and jabs seem to be the only way these cliques state their opinions in their circles jerks...and im talking about both sides, its pretty pathetic

8. #28 lilro, Feb 2, 2014
    Being an intern at a school is quite different don't you think? The interns I was speaking of are the interns over at the Opie and Anthony Show. They do menial tasks, they don't actually learn anything. They just get to put "Opie and Anthony Show" on their resume.

And even more to my point that interns work, you yourself just said your intern did the same things that you do, and didn't get paid a dime. Do you teach classes, grade papers, and have weekly meetings for free? He got an "A" and you got a paycheck.

Again, not that there is anything wrong with interning, do whatever you want for whatever rate you want. But I don't understand how someone could support the concept of interns and also support the concept of minimum wage.

And yes, there are other things to "whine" about. This isn't the only thread in this section, is it?

Yeah blanket statements are pretty bad, but 96 percent is within the bounds of a generalization IMO.

Politics in general have always been hypocritical.  The right has always been just as hypocritical as the left, though I'd argue that most dems are no longer that leftist and the right just appears more conservative because they've been hijacked by the Teabaggers.   

No it's not different.  Interns apply for internships knowing what they will be receiving, a grade and experience they can put on a resume that others will notice (whether or not the experience was legit).   It isn't a job, it's an opportunity that fulfills a requirement in the higher education process, nothing more.  Is it a stupid waste of time?  Perhaps, depending on what profession/company the internship is with, but it still exists as it exists and society accepts it as it is.  I rarely have heard of interns bitching about not getting paid, they usually just want to get the internship over and graduate and then start making money on their terms. 

Internships have nothing to do with minimum wage nor either political party.  As I've stated more than once, this is just sensationalist nonsense.  The propaganda machine fed you some shit bait, and some of you have swallowed it..... hook, line, and sinker.  

• Like Like x 2
    yea if they are actually in politics...people dont seem to realize the people who live up to the stereotypes are the extremes and the majority of americans are the real definition of moderate meaning they can see both sides and dont care about party affiliations

11. #31 Penelope420, Feb 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2014

Really? Your opinion of what an intern does is based on the Opie and Anthony Show?

Did you actually work on the show, or are you taking the word of a couple of "shock jocks" who wouldn't possibly exaggerate and/or distort reality in order to get a laugh or ratings?

When I've worked with our interns it is anything but "free labor". They are more of a pain in the ass than anything.  Instead of just doing my job, I have to show them and teach them how I do my job (and they ultimately leave in 6 months and help me with absolutely nothing...).

Read the article again.  96% of democrat politicians have interns working in their cabinet.  Do you think that is representative of the average, liberal voter?  That we all have unpaid interns to fetch our coffee?  lol...

I'm done going back and forth. And yes I know it's 96% of politicians. Politicians make the minimum wage laws, do they not?

Exactly why it didn't go over my head. This fake outrage supports those very ideals that I listed, but now ya 'all want to argue when it's in action.
    Fixed it for context. :smoke:

14. #34 goober0331, Feb 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2014
    Thanks ICGreen for clarifying.